Sign in to follow this  
Kiama

The Endless Isles: Flower-tile-based magic system, Stone Age Knapping, Collectible Coins, Trading minigame, Hobbits, Dwarves, Fae, Chess, Cards, Puzzles, Paintings!

So much to do on this server, just not enough hours in the day to do everything!

• Like 2

I am indeed experiencing a bit of choice-lock.  There are many things to do, with several different classes of character, but I know I need to focus my time on one.  Probably going to stick with the Iron character and become a nomadic builder of follies.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 9:06 AM, Kiama said:

EoFBztG.jpg

I just realized that this looks a bit like Katamochi

• Like 1

Whole new playstyle being tested on the server.

The Stone class.

Think stone age character for people who like a bit of a challenge, with a new fantastic concept flint Knapping!

Every time I think the server cant get any better we get completely new ways to play.

Looking forward to this new class being completed and will 100% being trying this playstyle out!

• Like 2

Thanks snars. I will outline the Stone class, which is still in testing but here's what is done so far:

The Stone Class

• They can gather and knapp, which I will explain below (and so can everyone else, but the Stone and class *needs* to and also doesn't progress beyond it, unlike Iron)
  • They can't use metal items on other items, tiles, or animals.
  • They can't lead animals.
  • They can't sow, tend, harvest crops, or plant trees, but they can harvest from trees.
  • Like the Iron class, they have 1.0 skill gain and random spawn/random respawn on death.
  • Like the Loyal class, they cannot play cards and start with no items other than the mirror.
  • Unlike the Loyal class, they can still collect cards.

Gathering

Now everyone has a gathering ability in Nature, currently only usable on grass, which can provide the following results in decreasing order.

1. Flint Core
  2. Branch
  3. Limestone
  4. Granite
  5. Quartz

The branch is a normal branch, the others are tools for knapping, and come with a random weight, rounded to .1

Knapping

Limestone, granite, and quartz are all hammerstones for knapping, each with a different range of weights (which is about to be very important).

Activate limestone, granite, or quartz and right click a flint core to see the "Knapp" action.

Knapping reduces the flint core by the weight of the hammerstone. A flint flake will be produced in the process, which may be useful as an arrow head or may just be flint.

Then, depending on the weight of the resulting flint core, an item may be created.

The current target weights for recipes are any whole numbers from 1.0 to 8.0. These can make the following items:

• Handaxe (Our new name for the crude knife)
  • Stone Sickle Head
  • Stone Axe Head
  • Stone Pickaxe Head
  • Stone Shovel Head
  • Stone Spear Head
  • Needle (Stone)
  • Baking Stone (Stone)

I won't spoil which weights make which items.

Recipe Changes

• Staffs can be made with handaxe on log
  • Sickles (Stone) can be made with stone sickle head and handle
  • Long spear can be made with stone spear head and staff
  • Twisted grass can be made from two mixed grass
  • Bow string can be made from two twisted grass
  • Shod clubs can be made from handaxe on log
  • Vanilla crude tool creation is no longer possible

Other Changes

• You can now access your full bank from anywhere, as well as withdraw money, with options at the top of your inventory (same as you access the Endless Herald with)
  • There is no longer passive income in the game. There is still passive karma. I am working on adding a card set with collectible coins.
Edited by Kiama
  • Like 2

Love it!

This has been a brilliant example of collaborative and rapid development.  A bit under 5 days from suggestions, through a massive slew of discussion and ideas, to an implementation of both a whole new way to play but also replacing a longstanding mechanic with a much better one. 

Very well done, Kiama and everyone involved in the discussions.  If this was mud, I would be a pig in it.

• Like 2

We now have a small game trap and a large game trap, both creatable with materials that Stone characters can make. They are both one use (as they are cheap) and spawn corpses after a while regardless of whether there are any creatures nearby.

I have also added another 8 recipes for knapping for a total of 16. The recipes are now every half number from 1.0 to 8.5.

Edited by Kiama
  • Like 2

Added a new class:

Deep

They start underground like dwarves and are able to "scour the overworld", which gives them foraging/gathering results from underground (right click the cave ceiling).
They are also limited to the underground, unlike Dwarves, the same way that water and caves kill Fae.
They start with only a pickaxe.

Scouring results can also include logs and grass.

There's no limit for scouring, unlike foraging.

The traps (small game trap/large game trap) work for them underground.

Edited by Kiama
  • Like 2

Some very exciting new changes coming soon a little bird told me.

If the rumours are true, looks like I will be living in the "shire"

• Like 2

The next update brings a card set (Gold Edition) that gives you collectible coins. These coins are viewable in the world (requiring our custom client). There's 194. You have about a 1 in 8 chance of a pack giving you a silver coin and about a 1 in 600 chance of getting a gold coin.

UKIb58R.png

Edited by Kiama
  • Like 3

On 7/22/2023 at 12:26 AM, snars said:

Every time I think the server cant get any better we get completely new ways to play.

^this.

Honestly.  There is more new content that our host has created than can be quickly described.  By "new content" I mean "I have never seen this on any other WO or WU server".  This isn't merely multipliers or QoL enhancements but entirely new things to do and ways to play.  I am currently collecting my complete set of 194 unique actual in-game coins that you cannot get anywhere else.  I have also hung up a painting of one of my favourites.  You never know what coins you will get in your change  🙂.  

The best part is that a player can simply play it like any other server, but if you want to try the new stuff, you can.  We have had a few players start in "vanilla" play without even knowing about all the rest and say that they love the helpful community of the game.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 2

We now have a magic system! But, this being the Endless Isles, you have a bit of learning to do.

To cast magic, you will need to craft a wizard wand from using a carving knife on a shaft. You then need to attach a gem to it. Presently there are 17 spells that require an emerald gem and 1 that requires a ruby gem. More spells will be added in the future.

The spell that the wand can cast is determined by its wood type and its gem type. I will tell you that you can cast Lv. 1 spells with a birchwood wand. I will also tell you that there is a spell called Bounty of Flowers that requires a birchwood wand with a ruby gem attached. The rest you can figure out yourself.

The spells you are allowed to cast are determined by your Wizardry level. To begin with you can only cast Lv. 1 spells because you are Wizardry Lv. 1. To cast Wizardry Lv. 2 spells, you need to master any single Wizardry level 1 spell.

You master spells by finding their correct flower configuration. This is a symmetrical pattern around you, including the tile you are on. Low level spells require particular flowers planted in each tile in a 3x3 area around you. Higher level spells require 5x5 areas and 7x7 areas. As this pattern is mirror-symmetrical and there are only 7 flower types, this isn't as difficult to figure out as you might expect and the wand will tell you how many tiles you have correct to cast its spell. When you accomplish this with a Lv. 1 spell, your Wizardry increases to Lv. 2.

Some spells will require you to set an output with your wand. For example, with Make Dirt, you need to activate the wand and right click a bulk container, then choose "Set Output".

If you set the output to paper of the same material as the wand, you will create a Magic Scroll of that spell rather than casting the spell. When using a scroll you do not have to worry about the flower configuration (you did it when you created the scroll). You can trade these scrolls with other players.

Finally, you will also need a certain amount of karma to cast the spell (unless you are using a scroll), which goes down as your Wizardry level goes up. You earn karma passively on our server. Initially, if you don't spend it on anything else, you will earn enough karma to cast a low-level spell about every 70 minutes (including when you are offline).

Edited by Kiama
  • Like 2