Sign in to follow this  
Kiama

The Endless Isles: Flower-tile-based magic system, Stone Age Knapping, Collectible Coins, Trading minigame, Hobbits, Dwarves, Fae, Chess, Cards, Puzzles, Paintings!

Ypb9Efz.png

EiKl7p0.jpg

The Endless Isles is a community map that has been painstakingly crafted by its players. The Endless Isles launches at Midnight of the New Year, UK time.

The Artists

The maps and their artists

1. Ozma by Batta

2. Aeren Mora by Kiama

3. Wyspa by Brash_Endeavors

4. Betgrel by Grochar

5. Alba Bhig by LowKeyTrixter

6. Rohan by zCat

7. Soran Fae by Kiama

8. Litenfjord by Brash_Endeavors

9. Tatiyapu by LowKeyTrixter

10. Avelon by Grochar

11. Gwedillion by LowKeyTrixter

12. Katamochi by snars

13. Tri Crann by LowKeyTrixter

14. Scopulum by snars

15. Botrum Portassent by snars

16. Nagarythe by snars

17. Tropicalia by RicoPolo

The Settings

Trader, Dwarf, Fae, Iron, and Loyal Game Modes (see below)
3x skill gain, 3x action speed
PvE
About 20 copper each day, regardless of whether you are online

Crops grow 1 stage per 6 hours
Characteristics start at 21

30 hits per mine wall

50k creatures; I have carefully tweaked each creature count (overall it equates to about 30% aggressive) and have included gorillas and hyenas (presently nonaggressive)
50 salesmen/women spawn randomly all over the map and can be traded with
You can hitch 2 creatures to tents
Creatures that would normally spawn underground spawn on the surface instead (and don't spawn underground)
You can load with 21 Body Strength
Base movement speed is increased by 30%

Discord: https://discord.gg/F5thWQHHmQ

Game Modes

Spoiler

This server introduces game modes, or classes. These introduce significant but optional gameplay variations. To play with a particular class, your name needs to start with the name of the class (capitalisation doesn't matter). So for example, to play with an Iron character, I would make a character called IronKiama.

Trader

To play with the Trader class, make a character starting with 'Trader'.

Traders travel the world buying and selling to amass riches. They can interact with Merchant Camps and Merchant Ships, which they see the location of due to Trader-only beacons above them.

Traders trade with credits, a money system exclusive to them. It can only be used to interact with Merchant Depots (Camps and Ships).

At Merchant Depots, Traders can buy and sell goods, as well as buy Core Skills. Each Merchant Depot has 2 buy orders, 2 sell orders, and a Core Skill to purchase. The orders change every time the Trader's current credits change, while the Core Skill doesn't.

Core Skills cannot be purchased twice. There is no limit to how many Core Skills a Trader can buy but the price doubles every time and a Trader must find the Depot that has the Core Skill they want."

Traders can trade either from their own inventory or from a vehicle. To trade from a vehicle, they must 'designate' a vehicle as their trading vessel. This can be undone or changed at any time. If the Trader has a designated trading vessel, goods will be bought and sold from their vehicle instead of their inventory. Goods can also be sold from bulk containers in their designated vehicle.

Traders can become arbitrarily rich, but their effect on the economy is limited due to their goods always being 1 quality. Traders' primary incentive for participating in the trading minigame is to buy Core Skills; however, they do eventually get access to rare Drake materials.

Loyal

Loyal characters are not credited by the passive income, and do not start with any items. Loyal characters are a solution for those who want alts without introducing any unfairness. However, if you are making a second character that is not going to interact with your previous characters in any way, you don't need to make them Loyal characters.

Iron

Iron accounts start with no items, have 1x skill gain, spawn in a completely random spot on the server, and whenever they die they go to another random spot on the server.

Fae

To play with the Fae class, make a character starting with 'Fae'.
Fae have a Heart tree that they spawn and respawn at. Their Heart tree is the source of their alchemising power so they must ensure it is never cut down. They can always see their home with a home beacon above it (and have a mechanism for determining the exact tree, since it can be tricky in the forest to see the beacon).
Fae are most at home in the forest. They can't survive underground and die in water.
Fae can choose 10 core skills that level up at 4x speed (other skills level up at 2x). They start with a Fae Soul and a Fae Amulet. Fae can do Fae Alchemy by using the Fae Amulet inside the Fae Soul (see Fae Alchemy).
Fae can verify which tree is their Heart tree by alchemising on the tile. If it is their Heart tree, they get a message to that effect. If they are not on their Heart tree, they will be told whether they are closer than the last time they alchemised.

Fae Alchemy

To use Fae alchemy, you must have at least 2 bulk items in your Fae Soul and the Fae Amulet should be in the Fae Soul too.
Use your Fae Amulet inside the Fae Soul. The bulk items in your Fae Soul will be destroyed and replaced with an alchemised item.
Any number of bulk items can go into the Fae Soul; all will be consumed and the recipe will change according to the exact contents of the Fae Soul.
The recipes are also unique to you. If you discover that branch + blue mushroom = clay, others are likely to find something different.
The resulting item is also limited to bulk items. Nonetheless, you can discover very powerful production chains that will be unique to you.
Most outcomes are one of the 5 base ingredients: rock shards, branches, iron rocks, dirt, sand. These however are also very useful early game - craft a crude knife, crude shovel, and crude axe.
Fae Alchemy is based on Foraging and Botanizing skills and using Fae alchemy doesn't increase those; so need to forage and botanize to get better alchemy results.

Catalysts

Certain items such as mushrooms are catalysts instead of ingredients. Each recipe has a specific catalyst that you can add to increase the weight of the alchemised item. Remember to place the catalyzed alchemised item in a bulk container rather than immediately crafting with it again. Catalysts are consumed, but only if they were actually useful to the recipe. You can have multiple catalysts in your Fae Soul to determine which one you need.

Dwarf

To play with the Dwarf class, make a character starting with 'Dwarf'.
Dwarves spawn underground and always respawn there. They spawn with a pickaxe, a large maul, a chisel, a carving knife, a flint and steel, a pelt, 10 kindling, and a barrel of dwarven ale. They can choose 10 core skills that level up at 4x speed (other skills level up at 2x).
Dwarves have an alternate Mining system. Dwarves mine coal instead of slate, for example. Clay instead of tin. Ironwood instead of iron. Sand instead of sandstone. Lichens (mushrooms) instead of many other ores.
But of course Dwarves have a way to mine metals too - they can mine pure metals - including alloys and glimmersteel - from stone depending on the configuration of veins adjacent to the target wall (including diagonal adjacency). Walls with no adjacent veins always give shards and walls with adjacent veins never do. Dwarves also have a special ability to move cave walls around by Striking the Earth with a large maul (see Striking the Earth), so they can either explore the mountains for their ideal mining spot, or they can create it themselves. Note that the 'recipes' you discover here are character-specific. Your dwarf has its own unique journey towards glimmersteel.

Mastercrafts

Dwarves can create Dwarven Mastercrafts: There's a 1% chance for certain item types to become collectible Mastercrafts, and Dwarves can make a different collectible for each material type: note that once a type/material combo has been created by anyone, you can't make the same combo. You can see how many of the currently existing Dwarven Mastercrafts you own by pressing Collectibles in the Endless Herald.

Striking the Earth

Dwarves can Strike the Earth on a wall. If there is space behind the wall, it will move. Either way the wall's resource count will halve, so Dwarves can break through walls very quickly. Striking the Earth improves your Digging.

Singing to the Earth

Dwarves can sing to the Earth when the four corner veins in a 5x5 square around the target wall are resonating (see Resonation). Singing to the Earth sets the resource count of a wall to 1000.

Resonation

Dwarves can resonate walls by Striking the Earth until they hum, and then mining them until they resonate. This allows them to support singing to other veins (see Singing to the Earth). At first it will only work on veins but once you successfully sing to a plain cave wall, it will be possible to resonate it. Walls can't be mined by Dwarves if they are at their resonance frequency.

Ironwood

Mined from Iron veins by Dwarves, Ironwood is wood with iron material. This means you can make anything you would normally make with wood, but to craft from it you have to heat up the wood in a forge. It doesn't burn. Not terribly practical and means some large objects can't be improved but allows dwarves to obtain the basics. You get iron instead of wood scrap as the extra material from crafting with ironwood.

Edited by Kiama
  • Like 4

8k seems unrealistic, I think 4k would be better

100K animals too few for an 8k map

10% agressive is also very low, 70% better

x5/x3 is a bit fast

20 hits is a bit low

BC should start at 21

Edited by zCat

1 hour ago, zCat said:

8k seems unrealistic, I think 4k would be better

100K animals too few for an 8k map

10% agressive is also very low, 70% better

x5/x3 is a bit fast

20 hits is a bit low

BC should start at 21

All reasonable suggestions. I am not precious about any of the details so have made all those changes since yours is the only comment so far. And if it turns out we are getting enough participation to make it 8k, that will be an easy change during Alpha.

The settings in the Alpha will be whatever most players want in the comments.

The settings in the Beta will be whatever most players who played in the Alpha want.

The settings in the Beginning will be whatever most players who played in the Beta want.

Once we have enough feedback I'll start putting up polls.

• Like 2

Looking forward to play here. In contrast to zCat i liked the 5x/3x for skill gain and action speed. I also like the 20 hits.

Regarding the agressive creatures i would say 50%.instead of 10 or 70.

What is your plan regarding starting equipement? 

And what do you expect of us regarding vein distibution, or will you adjust that yourself?

If possible i would like increased sailing speed and maybe even cart speed.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Grochar said:

Looking forward to play here. In contrast to zCat i liked the 5x/3x for skill gain and action speed. I also like the 20 hits.

Regarding the agressive creatures i would say 50%.instead of 10 or 70.

What is your plan regarding starting equipement? 

And what do you expect of us regarding vein distibution, or will you adjust that yourself?

If possible i would like increased sailing speed and maybe even cart speed.

Guess it's time to make some polls!

Edited by Kiama
  • Like 2

Polls are now linked to at the bottom of the OP. Please include your Discord name when you vote.

Edited by Kiama
  • Like 1

Voted, and looking forward to January 1!

(I might also see if I can come up with a 1024 map entry since you will be using four total ...)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Voted, and looking forward to January 1!

(I might also see if I can come up with a 1024 map entry since you will be using four total ...)

A lot more than 4! A 4k map has space for 16 1k maps and the original plan was to have space for 64 separate maps (we'll see if we get enough participation). But this doesn't rely on getting that many creators - as you can see in the schedule in the OP, there will be up to 4 opportunities for each creator to submit a map so we'll likely have 4 maps that I made, and then however many (up to 4) others are up for making.

• Like 1

You are right, lol, my math was way off.    Well I might submit four, then :) as I love making little maps.

Here is the first (I will try to make the rest look less cubish):

1)  Litenfjord   -  Map  -   Files

Actually since we only submit one at a time, till it reopens for new entries,  I am going to change my first entry to this one which i like a little better:

Wyspa  - Map  - Files  

• Like 1

This is what I am thinking of having as the starting island, with Penyo being the starting town:

CxHsneG.jpg

If anyone is interested to know the process, it was:

1. Generate the landmass with Inkarnate (so that we can use Inkarnate later)
2. Use Gimp to manipulate the image into a height map (I used Gimp because it can edit 16 bit greyscale images, which the height map has to be)
3. Import the height map into Wurm Generator FX and keep customizing the map in Gimp until you are happy with the height map
4. Customize the rest of the map as normal
5. Go back to Inkarnate and decorate the map to match what you made

Edited by Kiama
  • Like 3

Can you play here without making your own map? Are the player made maps private domains? I have no idea how to use those programs you mentioned and really don't want to lol. I can use basic map generators that's it.

• Like 2

I also can only use the basic map generator ^_^ and I don't have any interest atm in learning any new programs.

Kiama can answer your questions but I think I can explain most of it. No one "owns" any particular island.  All maps offered are for the benefit of the entire community, the purpose of the entries is to give all of the players a little more "stake" in their community by helping to create it, but beyond individual deeds, everything is anybodys. Have a mix of islands by different people helps encourage a little different "ideas" than just one person making everything. Having everyone vote on the server settings and offer their own created maps means players are fully invested in the server by feeling they helped "make" it. It's a very interesting idea that I have never seen before.. 

The different maps also give us also a little more interest in making boats to sail around and explore. Since most islands are created by different people, they will all have a unique "feel" and not just be the same landmass over and over again. 

• Like 3

Its definitely a creative idea! All of Kiama's ideas are creative :DI will mess around with the generator and see what I come up with. Good to know you can travel around and settle where you want though. I will definitely be checking the server out on launch and follow along in the meantime. I did enter my votes already.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kamiraa said:

Can you play here without making your own map? Are the player made maps private domains? I have no idea how to use those programs you mentioned and really don't want to lol. I can use basic map generators that's it.

Definitely, you can play without making a map!

Edit: I realise I should answer your other question in this reply even though Brash_Endeavors did so correctly: Yes, the player made maps are all for everyone.

Edited by Kiama

10 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I also can only use the basic map generator ^_^ and I don't have any interest atm in learning any new programs.

Kiama can answer your questions but I think I can explain most of it. No one "owns" any particular island.  All maps offered are for the benefit of the entire community, the purpose of the entries is to give all of the players a little more "stake" in their community by helping to create it, but beyond individual deeds, everything is anybodys. Have a mix of islands by different people helps encourage a little different "ideas" than just one person making everything. Having everyone vote on the server settings and offer their own created maps means players are fully invested in the server by feeling they helped "make" it. It's a very interesting idea that I have never seen before.. 

The different maps also give us also a little more interest in making boats to sail around and explore. Since most islands are created by different people, they will all have a unique "feel" and not just be the same landmass over and over again. 

That's all exactly right :)

• Like 1

I am pleased to announce that I have developed some map fixing functions. One of the issues I have had with the map generators is that I can't seem to load the map files back into them to make changes without just redoing the whole thing, and the exact changes I want to make aren't straightforward to make. So here's the post generation fixes I can apply for you if you need:

Smoothing out the map (I average each tile with neighbour tiles N times, you tell me what N should be - just 1 is usually enough to remove ugly spikes).

Spawning one type of tile (biome) on another type of tile with a particular frequency of 1 patches in N tiles. So there's two useful things happening here: 1. You can set tiles to appear only on particular other tiles such as only spawning tar on sand. 2. You can ensure that there will be a certain percentage of those tiles that have the resulting patches. Currently I've just been spawning patches of 1 and 4 but it will be easy enough to add the ability to spawn larger, messier patches that spread in random directions the way the generators do, if you want this functionality.

Removing all of a particular tile, replacing with nearest other tile type. Useful if you realise you want the tile types to be added more intelligently with the above functionality.

Adding sand to near water level, except around Marsh (or other tiles you don't want to have beaches).

Scaling all tiles above water except for one tile type (or the inverse). This might seem a strange thing to want to do but I used this to flatten out my landmass while leaving the volcano towering above them.

Finally, this isn't something that is useful for our 1k maps but I'd be happy to help you do this for other maps: merge 4 maps together into one larger size map.

• Like 1

The OP now tracks the current state of the map but the exact positions of the islands will be randomised in Alpha, Beta, and the final Release in order to make it more interesting for those playing in Alpha and Beta.

• Like 2

All who participate in the Alpha and Beta will be offered alpha and beta roles in Discord which will provide access to corresponding alpha and beta channels (as well as generally something to be pleased about having on your discord profile). These channels will be used for the Alpha and Beta polls, the result of which could be that everything changes, so please get involved in the Alpha and Beta if you want to continue to have a say in the server after Alpha starts.

Edited by Kiama

Mods, I like

Bulkseparated

Bulktransport

AshProduced

SimpleConcrete

OnetileMining

DisableFogSpiders

Salve labled with their power

How will post boxes work, with mo priest spells?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zCat said:

Mods, I like

Bulkseparated

Bulktransport

AshProduced

SimpleConcrete

OnetileMining

DisableFogSpiders

Salve labled with their power

How will post boxes work, with mo priest spells?

1. Regarding One Tile Mining: One Tile Mining is actually something I wanted to add but it threw server errors on server startup yesterday so it is currently gone. The rest of the mods I currently have seem to be working fine. Here are the interesting mods:

Better Digging (Dig to ground, use vehicles to dig, etc)

Crop Mod (No crop decay)

Fire Burn Time (See remaining burn time)

Harvest Helper (see upcoming seasons)

Move Mod (faster movement)

Timed Pay (get money just by being online as I mentioned in the settings)

Wyvern Anti Cheat (anti Xray, the anti ESP module is not enabled for performance reasons. Anti Xray has been tested and it works.)

2. Regarding bulk separated and bulk transfer: Players will get to vote on many mods during beta but let me begin by putting my foot down on one matter: We are simply not going to be messing with the vanilla storage system:

• I consider the vanilla storage system to be nicely balanced with good tradeoffs between storage types
  • I'm not sure Bulk Transfer even accomplishes anything anymore? In vanilla WU, you can transfer hundreds between crates, bsbs, and wagon crate/bsbs with a single click
  • There's perfectly reasonably workarounds (like just crafting more bsbs if you need separation) and the remaining limitations aren't at all game-breaking
  • Most mod bugs just result in lost functionality, an error in the server log and you simply remove the mod; meanwhile, storage mod bugs are much more likely to be apocalyptic, and it seems even the Bulk Transfer mod is not immune

3. Regarding Salves labelled with their power and Disable Fog Spiders: Up to Beta players. Not too bothered but I am not personally convinced these are necessary. There will be a vote on this during Beta.

4. Regarding AshProduce and SimpleConcrete: Up to Beta players. I have good memories of filling massive areas with Runescape-levels amounts of campfires to fund my rock manipulation activities. This provided a rare usefulness for the Firemaking skill. There will be a vote on this during Beta.

5. Regarding post boxes and religion: There will be a vote on both during Beta, and they aren't mutually dependant. We can have mail without religion with the No Mail Cost mod that places a Courier enchant on them when they are spawned, and we can have religion without mail by disabling the Courier spell via the Spellcraft mod.

If you are wondering: Why the hell would anyone not want mail? The answer is that without it, the distances between places becomes more meaningful and ships become more used. But I'll leave that up to players in the Beta. And the reason for no religion is: I personally enjoy a more pure feudal simulation, and LowKeyTrixter can't take advantage of the in-game religion for personal reasons. But that also will be at the mercy of Beta players.

Just remember: fun depends on limitations. Sometimes removing a limitation can make the game less interesting and sometimes adding one can make it interesting in a way you hadn't even considered before. But this server is not about forcing challenging gameplay on players so we'll just see what Beta players want.

• Like 3

Sooner the better!  I voted for the 2AM EST option.

It's not exactly going to be a "land grab" scenario like the opening of a new server in WO, where first people in get the best spots from a somewhat limited selection. Even with initial four starter islands, there will be plenty of time to get your character started, maybe work on some skills in the spawn zone, maybe work together on some community resources, before starting to work on boats to get to other isles.    Also these won't be long term settlements for anyone due to the wipe before the official Jan 1 opening.

• Like 2

Second island submissions can be given to me as soon as it is Wednesday in the UK. There is still time until then to provide a first island submission if you haven't.

• Like 2