Sign in to follow this  
Ayuna

A different birdsong

I've heard several audio environments, depending on the surrounding area: grassy, steppe, mountain... I think that's it.

Apparently, "grassy" comes in two different flavors, but one of them is rare. The other flavor is regular birdsong when you're out and about amongst grassy plains. The last time I've come upon the rare kind of birdsong was a few years ago, when I was in a very lush, densely flowered meadow, next to several beehives. The birdsong changed to something blissful.

Why is this so rare, and how do I recreate this on my deed?

Edited by Ayuna
  • Like 3

I am curious about this as well, though I've not personally encountered it, that I know of.

If you happen to be near farming fields or trees when they advance in age, during the daytime, you will hear a bit of merry birdsong when that happens. (At night you'll hear the chirping of insects instead.)

I know the precise birdsong you're talking about @Ayunaand it's been maddening as @Goldfinchand I have spent months (possibly years) trying to figure out the ingredients required to recreate it.

We've noticed it most frequently in large farm plots, but creating a large farm plot does not seem to be the trigger.  Most recently, I noticed this birdsong on a large farm plot and had a sudden hunch - using a pendulum, I was able to determine that there was a water source tile almost exactly where the birdsong was localized.

I haven't had a chance to confirm that further via experimentation, but it's the best lead I have to offer.  I now wonder if farm tiles and flower tiles count the same toward creating this birdsong around a water source, but at the very least this is a mystery that has also vexed me for quite some time and would love a conclusive answer.  I find that specific birdsong absolutely enchanting and would love to know how to recreate it because it is so rare.  It stops me in my tracks every time I hear it.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 11:21 AM, Ayuna said:

I've heard several audio environments, depending on the surrounding area: grassy, steppe, mountain... I think that's it.

Also the shoreline...although not every shoreline maybe?  Not sure.

Apparently, "grassy" comes in two different flavors, but one of them is rare. The other flavor is regular birdsong when you're out and about amongst grassy plains. The last time I've come upon the rare kind of birdsong was a few years ago, when I was in a very lush, densely flowered meadow, next to several beehives. The birdsong changed to something blissful.

I've heard this too,  now and again.  Pretty sure there is a particular spot in Haven's Landing where you can hear it, or at least there was once.  It's intriguing.

Why is this so rare, and how do I recreate this on my deed?

No idea.  Maybe if we keep a list here in the thread of places it can be heard, we can unravel the mystery.  :)

Edited by Minnie

Is this the bird song that plays when crops advance a stage? 

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

I've had a chance to do a little more science to this, and here's what I've learned so far:

This alternate birdsong does require:

- a well tile under farmland

- sufficient farmland around the well tile to activate the song, best lower bound is a 6x6 square of farm tiles that also contains a water tile

This alternate birdsong does not require:
 -
crops to advance a stage, the instant I had a 6x6 grid of farm planted around the well tile I was immedately able to hear the alternate birdsong coming from the well tile when none of the crop tiles had advanceda
 - the water/well tile to have a well or fountain on it

Additionally:
 - large planted areas without a well will never play this alternate birdsong, even when crops advance a stage

- I have no idea if this mechanic indicates any benefit (better harvests, faster crop growth, etc.), or is entirely cosmetic

And I can't find it at the moment, but I recall a thread that suggested transmutations for creating well tiles and, well, I think that would be lovely for many reasons.  :)

Edited by Sidereal
hit return too soon!
  • Like 1

For those interested, the "normal" woodland bird song is dominated by Blackcap, Sylvia atricappilla.

The more uncommon birdsong that is found at farmlands is Blackbird, Turdus merula.

Not surprising if the songs have been recorded in Sweden.

Edited by Cista
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cista said:

For those interested, the "normal" woodland bird song is dominated by Blackcap, Sylvia atricappilla.

The more uncommon birdsong that is found at farmlands is Blackbird, Turdus merula.

Not surprising if the songs have been recorded in Sweden.

Lovely to know! ❤️

Wait what!!

Grabs rake... off to farm!

Kudos to all for this little bit of info