Sign in to follow this  
Avaxas

Bird Houses - Audio Ambience Objects

Allow the creation of bird houses, using Carpentry and/or Fine Carpentry (or even Masonry/Stone Cutting,) to provide different sorts of birdsong ambience to an area.

The variety of birdsong could depend on the material used, which would introduce different sorts of audio character to an area. Castles with the cackling of ravens or hawk calls, farms with the twittering of sparrows and finches, deep woods with the sounds of owls or blackbirds overhead. Maybe even caverns with the chittering of bats, if one provides bat condos for them.

• Like 12

I love the idea of having more sounds in game, but I'd rather this was done without player interaction first - different tree types, server regions, biomes, seasons, proximity to water, etc. should all affect what types of ambient sounds there are first. That would mean the game would have inherently much more diverse sounds without requiring players to do anything.

But, once those sound assets were added, I can see why extra items (like a bird house) that players can use to influence the soundscape of their deed would be really cool. Especially ravens/hawks around a castle, that would be awesome.

• Like 1

Love this idea. I could see it as creating an item similar to the pet bat, with a bird in a cage (have different birds to choose from in a pulldown, much like shop signs), and have attached ambient sounds to it.

I like this because we live on an island. The only birds we (relentlessly) hear are invisible ducks. I'm always delighted when we go to the mainlands and hear other kinds of birds like owls and stuff.

Really nice idea. We could also get real birds flying around (not just high in the sky) and catch (new skill?) them and put them into bird houses.