Sign in to follow this  
Docterchese

Updates to the disease page

I went to the Wurmpedia page on disease in search of a cure for some disease recently, and information on the page didn't necessarily line up with my experiences. I'm making this topic to discuss some proposed changes (and things I noticed myself) before adding them. Maybe the forum hivemind has some suggestions or other knowledge I've overlooked!

The page in question: https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Diseased

Proposed changes to the player section that I think are already general knowledge:

1. It only seems possible to catch a disease from another player or animal when you are standing on the same tile as them. This can happen very quickly (I've observed within 2 minutes!) or quite slowly (within many hours). This isn't mentioned so precisely, with the wiki currently just saying "contact" - although I've never personally seen disease happen when accounts are standing on separate tiles.
  2. It's possible to catch a disease when multiple accounts are embarked on the same vehicle (I've seen this happen on a large cart.)
  3. Death will remove the disease upon respawning.

Speculative changes I've noticed (tell me if these are good enough to add or not, please!):

1. Natural curing of the disease seems to be impaired or impossible when multiple players continue to stay on the same tile, even if standing on enchanted grass with a full food bar. Uncrowding may be essential to heal without humid drizzle or heal being cast. (This was observed with my alts over the course of ~10 hours (!!!) trying to heal them -- they didn't heal until I split them up, no matter how hard I tried.)
  2.  Rare roll chances may be affected. Two alts with over 100 power disease did not get a single MOI within 6 hours of trying, vs. undiseased alts who got an average of 3 each within that time. This is a small sample size, but seems fair to add given that a speculative note about combat rating is there. (Disease effects are poorly understood in general)

Edited by Docterchese
  • Like 1

Thank you! I added some of these to the page. I think we need more research for the rare rolls (and I removed the CR conjecture from the page as well. Needs more research!) 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 1:35 PM, Docterchese said:

1.  Rare roll chances may be affected. Two alts with over 100 power disease did not get a single MOI within 6 hours of trying, vs. undiseased alts who got an average of 3 each within that time. This is a small sample size, but seems fair to add given that a speculative note about combat rating is there. (Disease effects are poorly understood in general

Was both alts with over 100 power disease and no MOI with premium at the time?
I did test over 100 power disease sometime ago that it doesnt decrease skillgain as was written in the page.

5 hours ago, Ame said:

Was both alts with over 100 power disease and no MOI with premium at the time?
I did test over 100 power disease sometime ago that it doesnt decrease skillgain as was written in the page.

They were non-prem at the time. It's such a difficult thing to test, could've just been coincidence too given it was just two alts (and the rarity system isn't perfectly understood anyway.)

18 hours ago, Docterchese said:

They were non-prem at the time. It's such a difficult thing to test, could've just been coincidence too given it was just two alts (and the rarity system isn't perfectly understood anyway.)

might be something to do with non prem`? does it decrease chance for rare being non prem?

Edited by Ame

On 2/17/2023 at 4:59 PM, Ame said:

might be something to do with non prem`? does it decrease chance for rare being non prem?

as far as I know, rarity chance is the same for prem vs. non-prem, although supreme chance is cut to 25% that of prem.

i had times were i played a lot and got 0 mois for 3 or 4 days on a row(with no disease), that may be too hard to prove.

Edited by Tpikol