Sign in to follow this  
Blacklotus

Make uniques an event similar to rifts

The Problem:

Uniques are by their nature are special, and rare, but why is it always the same handful of people finding, penning and running slayings for these special creatures. Where is the community or fun in that when greed is the leading factor?

Dragons alone at current prices are worth at least 3-4 gold pieces just in hide, blood and more if you include the tomes this does not encompass the community similar to how rifts were in the past.

The Solution:

Make uniques an event similar to how rifts work. A beam of light appears a few days prior and starts a timer. Let the unique appear at the end of the timer and wreck havoc in the area, don't allow it to be penned or captured instead everyone has a chance at some of the goods. Instead of loot or butchering it, make it a point system similar to rifts where you can buy the dragon hide/scale bloods, special items like rare, supreme or fantastic bones, tomes and the like with these points. Let smaller enemies that take a small group appear more commonly like rift camps for points, if they get trapped and cant move, let them teleport out to a different location.

Everyone in our community should have the chance to enjoy this event, not just the few capable of tracking and trapping them.

Before there is any malcontent, I'm fully aware of public slayings and whatnot and that's great but my suggestion is biased towards fixing a highly contentious and difficult system that requires GM intervention. We fixed highways, we fixed rifts, we can fix this too.

• Like 14

If they are made angrier and add a crowd of minions +1 😃

They will be in the castle and it needs to be besieged with siege equipment

It could work to simply "buff" uniques, toward the end of making it outright impossible for small or medium sized groups of players to kill them.

It's also been suggested to make them completely free roaming, and highly destructive, to the effect that people would be profoundly relieved to see them gone regardless of how it was accomplished or by whom.

Maybe both of these together?

As it stands, uniques have become nothing more than a rare resource. It might be more fun to see them made a major threat and serious menace.

Edited by Avaxas
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Avaxas said:

It could work to simply "buff" uniques, toward the end of making it outright impossible for small or medium sized groups of players to kill them.

It's also been suggested to make them completely free roaming, and highly destructive, to the effect that people would be profoundly relieved to see them gone regardless of how it was accomplished or by whom.

We don't want them gone we just want to make it more fair to everyone to be part of a slay...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shagsangel said:

We don't want them gone we just want to make it more fair to everyone to be part of a slay...

I didn't mean gone from the game, more to the effect of, "Oh my gods, it's heading toward my house! Help! Kill it! Kill it! Somebody, anybody!"

As much as i benefit from spawns around my place I for one would love them to be swapped out to a system similar to rifts and rift points and to make them into a bigger event.

We now have goblin camps so throw the goblin leader in there only and it makes so much more sense, do the same for all unique's create lairs or camps for them that give a visual indication of their location and a server wide visible timer for when they spawn and it will be a lot more fun overall.

As for camps without unique's they can just pop up without fanfare and still be an enjoyable experience

9 minutes ago, Egard said:

Not every feature should be available to any and every.

This is just silly and you know it by this logic they should have stuck to the 1 unique per server rule that we used to have, people said the same thing when the change was suggested to make unique's respawn and guess what? They made them respawnable.
The rate of unique's is high enough that it is not a "not everyone should be able to do this" feature its more over "either get lucky or roam around a lot or join a group or use live maps to find them before others do" kinda feature in its current form or past forms and it is high time that features like this should be taken out.

Sure leave them hard to find on pvp servers but pve servers see more traffic with community events that are worth while so having more such events would be a nice addition especially if they are harder to complete the overall event and then letting us get points for the hide/bloods/bones would solve a lot of drama that we have had in the past with dragon fights so overall it would be for the benefit of the game as a whole to have such a change happen.

• Like 4

I agree that community events are worth a lot more to the player base than private slayings. In fact, I like just about everything about the initial suggestion, except for one thing.

Keep the hunting aspect.

• Let players search for a marker that's less obvious than a beam of light visible from across the server.
  • Make it something like a dragon egg that glows like a meteorite (if a hatchling is going to appear), a smoking/charred carcass of a large animal (for a full dragon), and so on.
  • When a player touches/examines/uses the marker object...
    • start a countdown to the battle
    • trigger the big beam of light (nicely RGB coded)
    • award some unique points to the finder — a significant amount
    • announce the finding in Freedom chat and with a tweet, so that everyone becomes aware of it.
  • If no one discovers the marker within a time limit, let it decay or disappear and another can spawn elsewhere.
Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 14
  • Cat 1

As someone who slays Drakes and Dragons Privately here is what I have to say about Uniques.

1.) It's not worth it to slay it publicly because the amount of alts that show up to leech the drops make it so that you need to kill approximately 300 Drakes and 550 Dragons on average drop rates.

2.) My group wants Uniques to be changed for the better so that everyone can be included. It's just not worth it for us to do that now.

My thoughts on some changes that could change the direction of Uniques is the following:

1.) Remove the leecher mechanic for hide/scale drops but leave the bloods to any premium players in local when it dies.

2.) Split hide/scale across those who actively are fighting the Drake/Dragon based on damage done to the Unique. This will entice players to actively skill up fighting and contribute to the kills versus standing around getting their .01kg of resource and leaving without a thanks.

3.) Keep them random spawns for the hunter to still have something to look forward to finding as a beam would defeat the purpose of it being "Unique". Uniques are the only end-game Fighting content in the game right now besides rifts and i would put rifts at way easier than having the skills necessary to kill a Drake/Dragon in a small 10-12 man group with no alts.

4.) Also when it comes to Drake Hide and Scale please let us use a leather knife to split larger pieces into smaller pieces. Sometimes someone is not looking to buy .50kg of this and they only want .10kg.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheffie said:

I agree that community events are worth a lot more to the player base than private slayings. In fact, I like just about everything about the initial suggestion, except for one thing.

Keep the hunting aspect.

• Let players search for a marker that's less obvious than a beam of light visible from across the server.
  • Make it something like a dragon egg that glows like a meteorite (if a hatchling is going to appear), a smoking/charred carcass of a large animal (for a full dragon), and so on.
  • When a player touches/examines/uses the marker object...
    • start a countdown to the battle
    • trigger the big beam of light (nicely RGB coded)
    • award some unique points to the finder — a significant amount
    • announce the finding in Freedom chat and with a tweet, so that everyone becomes aware of it.
  • If no one discovers the marker within a time limit, let it decay or disappear and another can spawn elsewhere.

I'd love a system like this one. It keeps the challenge of looking for them, rewards those who put in the effort (or get lucky) to find them, and then makes it a public event for the rest of the server to come participate, too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aleck said:

I'd love a system like this one. It keeps the challenge of looking for them, rewards those who put in the effort (or get lucky) to find them, and then makes it a public event for the rest of the server to come participate, too.

It means you can hunt for dragons whether or not you can kill them

• Like 2

-1 It would kill public slayings as we have them now, which are indeed funny and satisfying community mass events.

Given the number of uniques spawning (2 per month and server at max, which would easily  be reached with the scheme proposed) there would be a glut of unique slayings trivializing the event and creating fatigue. Honestly, even with the fairly easily accessible slayings as Stanlee provides, more than 3 per month are felt stressful. 14 slayings per month in SFI would just be too much, and even 6 in NFI would be a lot, though this sounds much like a NFI suggestion assuming that cluster divide would last forever, and SFI not being their business.

Btw, it would not remediate scale/drake shortage on NFI, just on contrary, as the scattered resources tend to be hoarded in private storage for long time, while the larger amounts from private slayings are more likely to be traded or crafted.

The recent system may not be ideal, but it is working and has some advantages.

Edited by Ekcin

5 hours ago, Sheffie said:

Keep the hunting aspect.

Absolutely love it, The important thing for me is to allow everyone to be involved. I only suggest things the way I do to prevent a level of cheating in finding the spawns or hoarding the resource, as long as these prevent building or blocking them off i'm all for it!

5 hours ago, BattleWall said:

As someone who slays Drakes and Dragons Privately here is what I have to say about Uniques.

1.) It's not worth it to slay it publicly because the amount of alts that show up to leech the drops make it so that you need to kill approximately 300 Drakes and 550 Dragons on average drop rates.

2.) My group wants Uniques to be changed for the better so that everyone can be included. It's just not worth it for us to do that now.

My thoughts on some changes that could change the direction of Uniques is the following:

1.) Remove the leecher mechanic for hide/scale drops but leave the bloods to any premium players in local when it dies.

2.) Split hide/scale across those who actively are fighting the Drake/Dragon based on damage done to the Unique. This will entice players to actively skill up fighting and contribute to the kills versus standing around getting their .01kg of resource and leaving without a thanks.

3.) Keep them random spawns for the hunter to still have something to look forward to finding as a beam would defeat the purpose of it being "Unique". Uniques are the only end-game Fighting content in the game right now besides rifts and i would put rifts at way easier than having the skills necessary to kill a Drake/Dragon in a small 10-12 man group with no alts.

4.) Also when it comes to Drake Hide and Scale please let us use a leather knife to split larger pieces into smaller pieces. Sometimes someone is not looking to buy .50kg of this and they only want .10kg.

The whole point here is to suggest a working fix to a absolutely broken system. I agree with you 100% if it was kept how it is now it wouldn't work, which is why I suggested unique points. nobody gets anything directly from the unique instead everyone who participates would get points equal to their contribution meaning there would be no leeching, only those who contribute something. The things this suggestion changes is 2, loot isn't a massive payout for whatever group finds it, it opens this very fun aspect of dragon hunting and slayings to the community at large without thinning out actual rewards or requiring huge amounts of work and prep by a few to organize them. I'd even be ok if there was an automatic random roll like now when you kill a creature for everyone who fights for a chance at special loot as long as everyone can participate and it's fair. It doesn't mean it'll be an easier fight it might in fact be harder.

Also love the suggestion of splitting the hides with a leather knife!

2 hours ago, Ekcin said:

-1 It would kill public slayings as we have them now, which are indeed funny and satisfying community mass events.

Given the number of uniques spawning (2 per month and server at max, which would easily  be reached with the scheme proposed) there would be a glut of unique slayings trivializing the event and creating fatigue. Honestly, even with the fairly easily accessible slayings as Stanlee provides, more than 3 per month are felt stressful. 14 slayings per month in SFI would just be too much, and even 6 in NFI would be a lot, though this sounds much like a NFI suggestion assuming that cluster divide would last forever, and SFI not being their business.

Btw, it would not remediate scale/drake shortage on NFI, just on contrary, as the scattered resources tend to be hoarded in private storage for long time, while the larger amounts from private slayings are more likely to be traded or crafted.

The recent system may not be ideal, but it is working and has some advantages.

It will kill private slayings as they are now too, it'll also provide a lot of value to the community at large because if everyone can go and benefit without dulling out the benefits for how many people show up all the better. The point is to build a system similar to rifts because its fair, and allows everyone equal access to rare resources, everyone a chance to participate and burnout no more than rifts. I really do like sheffie's suggestion above though that provides a hunting aspect and battlewalls suggestion for splitting bits of hide with a knife. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Avaxas said:

As it stands, uniques have become nothing more than a rare resource. It might be more fun to see them made a major threat and serious menace.

NO to that because that is the way it used to be and the players wanted it changed.

• Like 1

+1 to make it more available to the crowd instead of the dedicated few that has the time.

20 hours ago, Blacklotus said:

The Problem:

Uniques are by their nature are special, and rare, but why is it always the same handful of people finding, penning and running slayings for these special creatures.

Becuase they're the ones out there hunting for them. 

This suggestion again is "I don't want to hunt for uniques, I want to be told when and where to go"

Legendary creatures need a rework, but I don't think they need to be changed to just another rift, I'm surprised no ones thought of something that's ACTUALLY useful. 

• Like 2

Public messege in event about them spawned like before will solve problem a bit. 

All players will know when they spawn so will be more roaming to catch it :) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FallenKnight said:

Public messege in event about them spawned like before will solve problem a bit. 

All players will know when they spawn so will be more roaming to catch it :) 

Had this very thing on the temporary suggestion site, reach 20 votes or something before site got disabled.

Public messages caused the hunting groups to find them even faster, I enjoyed the private slayings so +1 to them coming back 

This has been suggested a few times and our dragon hunting elite top tier wurm players hate the idea.

Personally, I agree something needs to be done.

Edited by Hailiah
  • Like 7

I am still strongly against that proposal, though I am not, never was, and most prolly never will be an "dragon hunting elite top tier wurm player".

The reasons are:

- Such a scheme would destroy existing public unique slaying events which depend on penning and setting a date and a location. These events are worth more than greed.

- There have been lots of complaints about rifts as time gated events often occurring during work hours, or at inconvenient times. Same would go here. The usual suspects with most disposable time would profit.

- The proposal would require a new mechanic, and additional slaying etiquette

- If uniques spawn at know locations, and known times, the usual suspects would show up and whack them in no time. A few more than during recent private slayings could participate, and an order of magnitude less than at public events scheduled at times accepted by the community.

- With private slayings happening with more participants, more mats would spread out, causing even less availability of hide and scale, as scattered mats often end in thesauri for years, even forever.

I am more in for just leave uniques as is, as they are broken for like a dekade now and no one is going to fix that thing, better push for something brand new 2025-2030 thingy

• Like 1

And one thing: There is no remedy for the unique problems on NFI other than cluster merge. The influx of unique resources by slayings will not suffice to meet demand at least for a decade if NFI stays locked.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

My original comment got ninja'd, so rather than justifying my position with a forum link...

+1, change is needed

While one may or may not advocate change in unique mechanics, it is certainly not needed. What is needed, is a change of the cluster situation which would end the unhealthy isolation of half the community on 3 tiny servers, and  their understandable proposals to shape the world of Wurm according to their unnormal situation.

Unique handling has its flaws, but is generally working. The social events from it are too valuable to be destroyed by the greed for hide/scale for everybody or envy of the gains of private slayers. The proposal is just terrible.