Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

PvE healing debuff - Do we really need it?

Just wondering if someone has a good explanation as to what the reasoning is for this debuff?  Last rift I was in, with all the FO priests casting LoF (my alt being one of them), my main fighter could barely heal at all.  I think I need to bring 4 fighters to rifts and tag team them or something, so I can still have some benefit of healing at these longer events.  Were healers just to OP?

Anyway, legitimate question here, not a ###### session.  Just want to know why healing gets such a bad debuff. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Short story. Lof was op in pvp to the point where sometimes sailboats had 4 fo priests spamming heals non stop. A blanket change was made for all wurm. It's not needed for pve tbh.  No need to have such debuffs. On freedom. 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, elentari said:

Short story. Lof was op in pvp to the point where sometimes sailboats had 4 fo priests spamming heals non stop. A blanket change was made for all wurm. It's not needed for pve tbh.  No need to have such debuffs. On freedom. 

My gut reaction to everything nerfed in PvE is to assume it was for PvP balance, but I resisted stating that assumption above.  Sigh.  I appreciate this enlightenment. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, elentari said:

It goes both ways sadly. 

Oh yeah, I know PvP suffers from PvE geared mechanics.  It is mind boggling to me that they try and make it a uniform code between the two.  They have multiple PvE servers that ALL operate the same.  Same rules and mechanics for every PvE server (minor exception GV).  PvP has Chaos, which is free travel to and from PvE, then in NFI, the Defiance server, which lets you portal your character and stats, but no items.  Finally Epic, which (I think?) lets you have an alternate character of the same name/account, but has all of it's own stats - also no items transferring between it and PvE.

Why so many different implementations of PvP?  Why not just cut all ties to PvE, so you can make a PvP version that is unencumbered by the simple life of the PvE world.  Why tie down PvE with all the critical game breaking issues of the PvP world?  Get out the fantastic q100 imbued butcher knife and filet the game into two different games. 

I've heard that splitting the code would never happen, but why not?  Is it so much easier trying to balance two completely different game play mechanics with one code base than allowing each to develop independently?  How many times have great improvements to the game (in either camp) been set aside, because it would break or unbalance either play stile?  Features that would have added to the popularity of the game.

How many times have people abused some mechanic by crossing over from PvX to PvY to do things that normally could not have been done on PvX, so devs spend the time to fix that code.  Seems like it is already pretty time consuming to attempt to keep the two camps balanced and connected.

@elentarithis is not a rant against you in any way.  Just a rant about an issue as old as Wurm is.  I hope one day they can solve it.

• Like 2

I mean...  The code has already been split, thats why we can't unite the old and new clusters apparently.

This particular issue could use fixing - it really adds nothing to PvE as it stands.

• Like 1

For a old timer as my self...do people still die in freedom? With coffee, affinity foods...and so on you will get 75FS in 1 day...if this is not enougf..please buff healing!

just had to edit...just stop spawning seahorses in xan and can get 70 skill in few houers ^^

Edited by sleepys

This has been in for years and has been fine. It's a balance to being stupidly OP anyways. 

8 hours ago, sleepys said:

For a old timer as my self...do people still die in freedom? With coffee, affinity foods...and so on you will get 75FS in 1 day...if this is not enougf..please buff healing!

just had to edit...just stop spawning seahorses in xan and can get 70 skill in few houers ^^

New players with low skill, low QL geared, not used to the game so yeah i assume they still dies :).

Coffee, aff food and sb doesnt work for FS, only its sub skill and weap skill, not that 70 FS is hard to get anyway tho.

Didnt know theres been a healing nerf but as long as its just balanced and not made completely useless, im good with it.

Essentially, the more health you have magically healed, the less you get healed.  It stacks.

It's great for dragon geared folk (they rarely hit high heal res in PvE because their gear has such a huge reduction) and high "skill" (big numbers) players, but it heavily impacts less tanky (worse geared), and "unskilled" (small numbers) players.

In all honesty, from a PvP direction this might be desired to reduce swarm effectiveness.  From a PvE perspective, it punishes the wrong people.

But same does not apply to damaging enchants, there's no less and less dps-ing once you do any good hits to keep the fight entertaining and long?

Nerf's only on healing..

On 10/26/2022 at 10:47 PM, Wurmhole said:

@elentarithis is not a rant against you in any way.  Just a rant about an issue as old as Wurm is.  I hope one day they can solve it.

I know. 

It just irks me cause it's happened quite a lot in the past, just decisions made for one cluster spread out across all clusters with no care or compassion towards ramification and consequences. And this sort of thing has repeated enough times that it's soured the experienced for many and I suspect it leads to a lot of players taking long breaks over time or just quitting, 

Someone brings too many horse on Defiance and Chaos in a fight? Good now Epic must suffer too and we're limited to leading 1 animal. Even on deed where this make breeding an insane chore now.

Someone abuses alts / spying or  disconnects in pvp thus escaping by logging off? Ok freedom must suffer too with a 5 min logout timer if you get scratched in combat by a wild cat that did 0.1 dmg. 

Fo priests abused in pvp? Everyone including the non pvp crowd must suffer now with a healing debuff. 

Thing is you can't work out a blanket solution for all wurm no more than you could give antibiotics to someone that has cancer thinkingit would cure him. You have to look at the context of the playerbase (cluster) and work out a fix for that specific area. 

Seems like this should be obvious but the decision making in the past makes it seem like it's not. 

I can certainly understand this is frustrating (I'm getting the idea that wurmhole suffered from this, as this was added in 2018) but it already IS balanced for PvE, PvP has had resistances increased and higher rates, meaning PvE is specifically at a reduced resistance gain, meaning it's far friendlier on PvE. You can also go Path of Love, Healing hands doubles the heals from all sources, cotton, LT, ED, and healing spells 

Adding to all of this discussion, cotton also can be used and has no resistance, meaning it's as effective the first time as it is any other time (and scales with skill!). While I'm all for "free healing" (for the fighter, as neither LT nor healing spells require any sort of input from the fighter, this isn't about the priest here in my statement) there are a lot of balances to make it fair, and non magical sources work fine too. 

I'm sorry you died Wurmhole (I assume, because of this thread) but the healing resistance has been fine for four years now, I don't think it's broken, you just hit a situation in which you couldnt heal your way out of, which in an MMO is pretty common to say you're in over your head (after all, potion and heals have cooldowns in other games too!) 

Do you get points for healing others with cotton at rifts? Not saying this is an ideal way to pump up points, but just got me curious. 

• Like 1