Sign in to follow this  
elentari

Please change the 10 difficult chest goal to something else

Ever since the exploration update hit, one thing irked me about doing destinations unknown. While all the goals are long term, tedious and grindy, this one stands out as it relies purely on luck and nothing else. 

For the past couple of months the only maps I've gotten were challenging or lower and only was lucky enough to get 3 of those. Some people I've talked to are swimming in maps, some are like me with an atrocious streak of bad luck and it seems this goal is simply not sustainable from an emotional standpoint. I don't have the endurance to stare at my screen for hours queueing up mining actions hoping I'll get a difficult map. 

To put it into perspective the imping 100 k items took roughly a year. The slay 20 000 mobs took roughly 2 months. Even getting 70 meditation was easier. 

What do all those things have in common? Player agency. You can do them whenever you want. However you CAN'T do maps whenever you want. You need to be lucky to get em. 

It's a goal that relies on first being lucky then putting in a lot of hours to searching and doing all the steps. 

Guys please change this. Luck isn't a skill. 

And before people start throwing the argument "But you can just buy maps!" . Yeah let me stop you there, since when buying your way to doing a game achievement or goal has ever been a decent design choice? Does it remind you of anything good in the gaming industry? Cause I see no positive associations with this approach. I didn't have to buy my way to kill mobs or imp items or do rifts so why should any player be encouraged to buy his way through a journal goal?

Please change this to something that relies on total player agency not an RNG system that can decide someone does 10 000 mining actions and gets 10 difficult maps while someone has to do 10 000 000 actions for the same end goal. We all play premium and deserve a better experience than this. 

I'd rather build 10 colossi or create 50 knarrs then this goal. 

• Cat 1

You do not have to do this, after the update you need 12/13 goals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexeySt said:

You do not have to do this, after the update you need 12/13 goals.

True but that is not the point of my post. The point was it's an entirely RNG based goal whereas the rest are not. 

There's literally goals to make an item rare on every basic training, RNG is a part of this. 

• Like 3

do the 100 rifts, ignore the maps..

1/3600 for inspiration.. then 20% roll to get a map.. then you get another 1/25 roll for difficult map..

stack all these chances... unless you use tons of alts, this is not something you'll finish in years, that is if you chase the goal, it's already gated behind just gathering skills

farming includes 2 actions with tending tiles and harvesting.. but if you do not like farming... prepare for some long painful time chasing to end that journal goal, it's easier to chase the rifts for the 12/13 goals or w/e number -1 to cash the reward(assuming you're after the back-rug)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Archaed said:

There's literally goals to make an item rare on every basic training, RNG is a part of this. 

Yeah but realistically those are infinitely easier. You dont have to make 10 items on crafting goals, just a rare or better and it doesnt compare with the insane math behind 10 difficult maps. As finn pointed out, people shouldn't be encouraged to spam a ton of alts just to do one goal. 

• Like 1

02ad9b5ccbaf7a943669c725e04c53d5.png

That's for action roughly happening once an hour? yikes?

I'm no math guru.. so used stacking of chances and calculator

If I may, maybe you should go forage/botanize for (silver) coins and then ask in trade to buy the difficult maps. You only need to find the treasure in the end, not the map itself after all. It may save time in the long run.

if paying 3-6/+ silver per high ql map is the goal, yea that is achievable

25 minutes ago, Finnn said:

if paying 3-6/+ silver per high ql map is the goal, yea that is achievable

I thought the same thing. 

+1 Agree they should stop adding more rng goals and not use the excuse of having a rng goal to add even more rng inside a rng goals

3 hours ago, Tor said:

+1 Agree they should stop adding more rng goals and not use the excuse of having a rng goal to add even more rng inside a rng goals

lul...

We just need doable content.. that is doable.. with effort

In this case it's only doable by bruteforcing and roleplaying a bot for hours/days, well both.. long hours and many days... literally

That seems like burnout recipe or good idea to find a quick way to quit if you really want to do that and don't want to pay2win

Alternative.. could be puzzles, random encounters with decent spice to prevent massive farming of them with alts.

Easy way to get something.. if you "fish"(not literally nobody likes fishing) for it, then once you get your chance or go in the line of fun events.. get a timeout.. until next one.. or lower the chance until reset comes in a day/week/month..

1 big problem are alts, scaling content and chances have them in mind, we just cant have normal fun time if "you" can have 10x-100x more fun time with few more alts generating unreasonable amounts..

we don't want some to have too much fun, do we... well.. that just drops the hammer on the normal no alt players.. and they'll likely have some miserable time if they have dreams and goals set already

Like has been said before, you only need to complete 12 out of the 13 goals. Of the 13 only one of them is RNG based. All the others are skill based or just take time. I think having an RNG in the journal as a backup isn't a bad thing. I know a few people who have completed the final journal goal by using the maps. Yeah, it might take some time to get them from praying or such, but you can always buy them or trade for them. I have seen plenty of Difficult maps for sale on varying servers.

2 hours ago, brattygirl said:

. Yeah, it might take some time to get them from praying or such, but you can always buy them or trade for them. I have seen plenty of Difficult maps for sale on varying servers.

I don't see why this is a good thing? Since when is shelling out silver / euros to complete a goal is a decent game design choice? Buying my way out of a goal feels cheap (no pun intended) and not a fun way to play the game. Feels like those crappy mobile games where you pay to progress and those are the scummiest business practices in the gaming industry today. 

That's really my issue. Why do we have a goal where the only reasonable approach is to buy your way out of it? Why is that a good thing? Honestly I want someone to formulate a convincing argument how this is a good thing. 

And yeah it seems I have no choice but to trade / buy them. It just seems a sad approach to fulfill a goal. 

Maybe I'm just an old gamer but I remember the days where goals and achievements were something you earned through skill and patience, not through a wallet. 

Edited by elentari

I support the reworking of this goal from another angle.

Having done 100 rifts, I feel like being able to buy your way through one of the two hardest tasks in the final tier of a journal that's meant to be very long term is very crap. After being told 100 rifts wouldn't change or be removed due to players already spending the time and effort to do it, this feels a bit of a backhander. I already know someone very close to getting the journal done at a speed that's kind of insane because they're lucky enough to be surrounded by people who can help them get these difficult maps. Rather than hating the RNG aspect, I hate how for some this goal tier is now almost trivial. 100 rifts was there as a timegate of sorts, now we've removed that totally by adding an alternative goal that can just be paid off without time, effort and money.

51 minutes ago, elentari said:

Why do we have a goal where the only reasonable approach is to buy your way out of it?

How else would the Developers and Engineers get paid? If we want content we have to pay for it.

1 hour ago, elentari said:

I don't see why this is a good thing? Since when is shelling out silver / euros to complete a goal is a decent game design choice? Buying my way out of a goal feels cheap (no pun intended) and not a fun way to play the game. Feels like those crappy mobile games where you pay to progress and those are the scummiest business practices in the gaming industry today. 

It is not the only way to complete the goal though? I was just saying it is an option for those who have money and not time to try to grind for one. The few I know who did this journal goal, did so without buying a single one. So, it is possible to do without dropping a dime, but in my opinion its nice having the option to buy it. Since Silver can be earned in game without having to spend real money for it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elentari said:

That's really my issue. Why do we have a goal where the only reasonable approach is to buy your way out of it? Why is that a good thing? Honestly I want someone to formulate a convincing argument how this is a good thing. 

And yeah it seems I have no choice but to trade / buy them. It just seems a sad approach to fulfill a goal. 

Maybe I'm just an old gamer but I remember the days where goals and achievements were something you earned through skill and patience, not through a wallet. 

players keep saying market is good...

which is good when that's alternative.. (and there are alternatives..)

it's just dumb that chances are so low and you're limited to supreme rarity roll on action you can't spam more than MAYBE rolling 1 chance every 1-2 hours, maybe...

Difficult maps should be adding % exp to a goal.. instead of being only building block.. alternative should be doing smaller tier maps, with the incentive.. to do more of the difficult tier to cut some of the time lesser maps will sink in.. to achieve same progression on same goal.

YES... you'll still have a stinky time doing all the low tier maps.. but every single one.. will count.. even if it's tiny fraction of exp toward the goal.

Do you see a difference? No rng.. progression no matter what.. same content.. same goal, same gameplay, but now you have hope and not just rng spinner and bot actions, well... obviously alts still generate best odds to get maps... but now you can do any kind of maps to reach your destination.

If you forage for coins you may get an moi and find a difficult map.... And besides, what else is the use of coin if not to spent them since we cannot sell them for real money anymore? Besides, the majority of the other goals in that cluster, as well as other clusters, cannot be fulfilled by buying anyway (getting a certain skill level, kill a number of monsters). So it doesnt really matter if one or two can also, apart from grinding, playing and being lucky and patient, be fulfilled by spending in-game money.  

Edited by Melissablueflame
correcting typos

Two of the journal stages require you to equip a suit of drake and dragon scale armour.

It could be argued that those are dependent on RNG, since finding dragons happens very rarely.

It could be argued that those goals are achievable by spending $$$$.

At the end of the day, I just didn't think this was a big deal. Your mileage may vary - a lot. For me, this was one of the first goals I achieved in Destinations Unknown.