Sign in to follow this  
kochinac

Lessen restrictions around cave entrances and bridges

Ok, so i was working on my new deed and wanted to make a ramp for upper part while having the entrance nearby, and to my large frustration i found out i can't. 
[19:56:09] You can't tunnel here, there is a bridge in the way.

Why on earth is this restrictions? I'm sure there's explanation in a manner of it leads to unpredictable behavour in some x case so we decided to forbid all fun cuz of that. Seriously. This limits things which we can build ingame so much and it's so frustrating.

https://imgur.com/a/pfPrMov

Do you really think that example from picture is something that should be forbiden to build(cave entrance should be behind pottery pillar where stone is exposed)? why?

Edited by kochinac
  • Like 1

Bridges are houses, so it's likely that being a structure it blocks what's around it. 

+1 I've never understood why bridges have the same MO as buildings. I'm not a coder but I have to wonder how hard would it really be to give bridges there own bridge (not building) code?

I don't think this will happen. I think there are some buggy things with bridges that will keep devs from allowing it.  It took several years for them to iron it out to even be able to release bridges, so I doubt they want to mess with something that is pretty solid now - except for the gate/door glitch when they touch bridges.  Still gotta get that fixed I believe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katrat said:

+1 I've never understood why bridges have the same MO as buildings. I'm not a coder but I have to wonder how hard would it really be to give bridges there own bridge (not building) code?

To explain it would require code understanding, but essentially, it would be incredibly hard to the point of not being worth the work

• Like 1

I think that there's probably a very good reason for the restriction.

I'm not saying it couldn't be removed — and I've been bitten by this one before, to the extent of buying a shaker orb to change my plans — but I don't think we're likely to see this restriction lifted any time soon.

6 hours ago, Archaed said:

To explain it would require code understanding, but essentially, it would be incredibly hard to the point of not being worth the work

I'm software developer, so feel free to explain me in code, would understand it better anyway

10 hours ago, Archaed said:

Bridges are houses, so it's likely that being a structure it blocks what's around it. 

What the fact that is house has to do with mine entrance on tile next to it? regular house doesn't block simmilar situation

from Wurmpedia 

• Bridges cannot be built over any tile that has a settlement token or any opening into a mine. These obstacles must be located 2 tiles away from any bridge component, at least, in order for successful bridge planning to take place. See image on rope bridge page for visual example (here the mine entrance is located just outside of the interference range).

This is only during the planning stage once you have planned the bridge you should be able to open a mine enterence, my suggestion is to close the enterence plan and build the bridge then reopen your mine.

It is a pain in the rear IMO but just one of the many issues that can interupt planning a bridge, the one i dislike the most is to be planning a bridge at less than required level for crafting a specific type of bridge and still having to go through the whole survey process to find out that you dont have the skill. bridge requirements can sometimes be very annoying

2 hours ago, kordethbludscythe said:

from Wurmpedia 

• Bridges cannot be built over any tile that has a settlement token or any opening into a mine. These obstacles must be located 2 tiles away from any bridge component, at least, in order for successful bridge planning to take place. See image on rope bridge page for visual example (here the mine entrance is located just outside of the interference range).

This is only during the planning stage once you have planned the bridge you should be able to open a mine enterence, my suggestion is to close the enterence plan and build the bridge then reopen your mine.

It is a pain in the rear IMO but just one of the many issues that can interupt planning a bridge, the one i dislike the most is to be planning a bridge at less than required level for crafting a specific type of bridge and still having to go through the whole survey process to find out that you dont have the skill. bridge requirements can sometimes be very annoying

I thought that as well, and closed the opening, build the bridge, but when tried to open entrance again from inside got [19:56:09] You can't tunnel here, there is a bridge in the way. i suppose it's the same if i tried from outside... only thing i haven't tried yet is to just plan bridge, and the open but i doubt that will work too..

Eitherway even if there is workaround it just shows that restrictions are ridiculous, but i would appreaciate if someone has one that works

It's probably an issue where if the restriction is removed, there's a chance you end up inside the cave from the bridge

3 tile house "could" work in your case with the entrance in the middle

14 hours ago, Tor said:

It's probably an issue where if the restriction is removed, there's a chance you end up inside the cave from the bridge

3 tile house "could" work in your case with the entrance in the middle

Unfortunately couldn't afford to move start of the bridge but you got me thinking i right direction...Thanks. It's not exactly what i wanted but it will have to do.

Nevertheless my suggestion remains. It would allow so much creativity if those restrictions would be removed and problems solved the otherway. Still would like to hear from someone in dev team on the topic.

It sucks that you can't build bridges near or over cave entrances or being able to build small houses under large bridges where there is space etc. Not sure right now what other annoying restrictions are there.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 5:55 AM, kordethbludscythe said:

No. This created some pretty big problems when it could be done in the past, so now it is prevented.

(edit spelling and word swap)

Edited by Wurmhole

14 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

No. This created some pretty big problems when it could be done in the past, so now it is prevented.

(edit spelling and word swap)

Care to say which exact problems?

Notice also that unless you change clay to dirt, you can't build a bridge over it. tried building one over a large clay deposit and keep getting the something is blocking the bridge message. Everything is fine till the anything under the bridge check. Tried several different things and even flattened the clay down in all the high spots. Increased the height of the bridge ends even.