Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Disabling the Suggestions Site

Hello all,

Sadly, I have to disable the Suggestions website. There have been too many issues brought to my attention that I am unable to resolve at this time.

The idea is not dead, however.

The intention behind this was to help guide us as we work to improve Wurm. A number of you have submitted great suggestions, some of which I know have been around for a while, and the voting has been helpful to give us an idea of what to tackle first. Unfortunately, some folks have been using false information to bypass registration and the website is allowing this.

I will post more information in the future. For now, please continue to submit ideas on the forums.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, FallenKnight said:

GOOD JOB XD

Yes, “GOOD JOB” to those that decided it was a good idea to abuse the system for….what? “lulz”?

Very sad 😞 

• Like 6

It stinks that some people can't let well enough alone so we can have nice things. Oh well. At least we know that the masses have spoken and what they really want is to dye rugs.  Long live the carpet revolution!

• Like 8

Keenan, not sure where to post information of the bug I experienced with the site referencing the "Registration Bypass" issue, but I am willing to report my findings.

Hope it comes back up. 

Some very good things seem to have come from it.

• Like 1

It was a good idea, I liked voting things up, but it was not secure. Hope it can be fixed.

• Like 4

Hopefully you figure it out Keenan, sorry the community has some hobgoblins in it

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, user said:

Hopefully you figure it out Keenan, sorry the community has some hobgoblins in it

yeppp

Biggest troll community of all time. 

That's a shame. Hope you can figure out how to secure that and bring it back. I would've liked better moderation on it as there were several instances of almost identical suggestions, just with different wording, like the aforementioned dyeable carpets and another one for dyeable rugs. Looking forward to the new and improved version :)

Like i posted on the other thread, i didn't really like a few of the things that this new system implied, and it was obviously very abusable, but i really think that the roadmap-from-suggestions idea was nice and a cool way to show how many changes actually came from the community and a sign that the devs are reading and considering them.

I tried to think how this could be made more manageable and foolproof, and these are my ideas:

- Disable free submissions of just "any" suggestion, require suggestions to first go through at least a few days of forum-trial, require a link to the discussion about that suggestion on the suggestion subforum. (as many people already did anyway) -- Also make sure that if the suggestion seems like a duplicate, at least there's some substantial difference from already made submissions, i wouldn't rely on submitting-people to check that autonomously.

- Require a description of the idea that should be a sum up of both the original idea and all the other ideas that have been threw in the thread to "improve" on that suggestion and that the OP liked.

- Maybe add a requirement to have a few interactions in that suggestion thread, like a fixed number of "likes" or "replies" to the thread of the suggestion in order to be eligible for submission, so that unsubstantial or uninteresting suggestions cannot make it to the list.

- Make accounts bound to forum accounts (without requiring another registration), remove anonymous voting, so that it's easier to check that no fake votes have been submitted (Ok, fixing the registration bypass is obviously an issue, but one could also easily register multiple time with  "legitimate" different  emails and that would also be hard-to-detect cheating.)

- Once this has been made, publicize the website on client, so that more "casual" players that usually don't look at forum can look at already filtered and "decent" suggestions and vote upon them.

- Include downvotes, NOT subtracting from upvotes, but keep seperate count of up and down-votes , knowing how popular or unpopular a suggestion can be is probably more important than just knowing the difference between up and down.

- Keep the roadmap as it was, as it looked really nice and obviously keep the evaluating system as you best see fit.

• Like 2

This was a great idea in that it allowed staff a way to organize, assess, give status updates, and more, on suggestions given by players. If the website idea isn't working out, couldn't the forums themselves be used for the same purpose? Add a staff and a player vote counter to any suggestion thread (on the back end and/or front), give status updates on approved suggestions right on that thread or on a separate "Suggestions In Progress" page, etc.

It seems like the forums could be used for just the same thing the site would have been used for - getting organized and communication of the status of suggestions being worked into the game. And as far as vetting where the votes or suggestions are coming from, forums has a few things that give a good idea of player time with the game, participation, history, etc.

Edited by MordosKull
  • Like 4

I was surprised to learn that a new site was even created. Does the current forum platform not include some form of voting or popularity polling tools/plugins? Everyone is always doing "+1" on suggestion posts. If that was replaced with some kind of button that actually meant something and counted for something that would be great. The back-discussion of the ideas is already here on the forum. If the goal is a meaningful vote instead of a "+1" we should have a button here... on the actual suggestion thread. Possible?

• Like 2
  • Cat 2

Having and sharing a roadmap of what will be implemented... That's a great feature!

I think the forums are not too bad for suggestions. We have "upvotes" here too. So even just keeping the forums-suggestion-system as it is and then showing a roadmap in addition to the forums would be good enough in my opinion. Also doesn't require another registration on another website.

Whatever happens with this idea in the future, well, it's exciting to know that suggestions are being actively considered and implemented :D

• Like 2

Thanks for your tireless work, and respect for your courage to take such a decision. I hope the idea will reappear in an improved fashion sometime, but don't rush.

• Like 2

Maybe we could have a new forum category for suggestions, and have subcategories for different types of suggestions and roadmap stages.

Subcategories for the suggestion section could be something like:

• Quality of life suggestions
  • Ideas for new mechanics
  • Ideas to improve existing game mechanics
  • Other suggestions

Posts in those categories would all be considered "open", and then staff would periodically review them and move into the one of the roadmap sections:

• Under review
  • Planned
  • Closed

This way we can still use the forums, just with a little more structure. The like button can be a way to judge how interested the community is in an idea, but I think it's important to keep the discussions attached to them, so it might be best to try and make it work here on the forums if possible.

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 2

It's sad that some people attempted to abuse something like this almost immediately. I hope that it was only one or two rotten apples attempting to spoil things for everyone else, and that some means can be found to exclude them from the barrel.

Edited by Avaxas
  • Like 1

People writing suggestions to this topic just made me smile.  Thank you all for making my morning.  :)

• Like 2

Seemed like a good idea on paper. Visited the site but did not get around to registering, at least it seemed lively with lots of people(accounts) caring :D. Just the attempt to listen to the players was very much appreciated. Nothing is perfect but perhaps something in-game that required you to be premium for a certain amount of time, possibly consecutively to try to limit alt accounts would be a decent alternative. If nothing else it would give the devs a general view about a topic and let them decide from there. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hazelspider said:

People writing suggestions to this topic just made me smile.  Thank you all for making my morning.  :)

We're breaking the meta, by suggesting about the suggestions website.

Didn't know we had a Suggestions Web Site oh well..

Suggestions & Ideas on this one works just as good no ?

Edited by Tigerclaw

That is sad, a bit more sorted suggestion then currently the Forum was something I really adore and is probably helpful to find problems and wishes of the community.

The Voting system in the forum is kind of ok but not as functional.

As long as we don't revive a better suggestion site like the one we just lost I would say we should maybe optimize the way we can use the forum for it.

First maybe a yearly feature vote of a few selected features that the dev team has in mind and thinks is possible to add in a reasonable amount of time. (Idealistic with a link to the suggestion that spark it to show it really came out of the community)

Second maybe change the forum code slightly to automatically generate a pole in the suggestion sup section on new posts or at least to slightly adjust Retros guide to add one. This simple pole is there to make it easier to get a general idea of the feelings from the community towards an idea (sometimes there is heated discussions over minor things that can look like the idea is more controversial then it really is).

As voting options I would suggest something like: Like the idea, Like but minor tweaks necessary, Like the direction but not this specific idea, Dislike but can't really voice why, dislike/don't think it fit Wurm, indifferent.

I would still like to have the site back but not if it require heavy time investment from the dev team.

That's why we can't have nice things.

It was a good idea, though, so I hope it comes back.