Sign in to follow this  
Seriphina

Docks/Piers

Please allow us to create a bridge that is a wooden structure over water to allow us to stop doing the insane dirt docks that look horrible and endure long after deeds have fallen. Cap them at a certain distance from land, such as 5 tiles out and up to 3 tiles wide. All of them should be flat (no slopes) from the land they are connected to.  Allow specific structures to be added which improve ease of disembarking from the taller ships (these could be called platforms). Permit building on them with a maximum of a 3x3 building after the dock has been converted into a pier by adding additional support beams to solidify the structure.

Planning could be done using a dioptra like normal, but max distance is chosen by the planner and capped by carpentry skill. Additional materials are needed as the structure sits in deeper waters, but primarily comprised of planks, nails, ribbons, support beams, wooden beams, and logs, but perhaps require buoys at the far end on the water side.

• Like 6

This subject has appeared over on the suggestions site -> https://suggestions.wurmonline.com/b/suggestions/docks-and-piers/

This idea made an appearance on the 2020 roadmap -

We also intend to expand further on the construction features, adding both new building elements and decorative items and features. One of our desired features that we’ve been playing with are docks, which would allow you to create structures on water. On the decoration side, a popular suggestion (as well as something we want to see in the game) is hanging items on walls - we’ll be looking at how we can add that.

While hanging things on walls is making an appearance in the next update, any more recent mention of docks has been illusive. Hopefully they will not become like bridges and be in before....

It should be possible to dock at any point around the edge of a pier, not just at the ends. Maybe they should have bollards to tie up to, using mooring lines, rather than using an anchor - an idea that was mentioned in an even older suggestion.

Links to some previous suggestions around this idea.

Edited by Wulfmaer
suggestions site closed
  • Like 1

I can appreciate that similar have been suggested before, as many things have. Yes, it was an exciting feature in the roadmap, then fell off of existence with no additional mentions. To bring it back up for discussion and suggest ways to make it more than just a bridge, I posted here as well as over on the new suggestions site. If you read the suggestion, it also talks about piers as a way to build over water rather than just an expanse over water.

6 hours ago, Wulfmaer said:

This subject has appeared over on the suggestions site -> https://suggestions.wurmonline.com/b/suggestions/docks-and-piers/

Of course it did. I'm the one that posted that.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

A pier as a one-ended bridge that you can fall off?

This is a nice idea.

It sounds a lot simpler than the Pilings and Piers mechanism that I suggested (linked above).

I kinda forgot i made that suggestion but that would be pretty neat addition to the game. Full on docks instead of just building a dirt ramp would improve the aesthetics so much!