Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

Valrei International: What's To Come (Part Three)

Which Exploration Update Pt 2 feature are you most looking forward to?!  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Now that all features have been revealed, we wanna know which sounds the most exciting!

4 hours ago, Muse said:

Perhaps goblins could, instead of attacking mounts, aim to dislodge the rider causing a forced dismount, the player can still lead their animal and the animal being passive would never be targeted, but it would force the player to fight on foot.  

It's not what I call a pleasant scenario - having to fight on foot, but then that's my personal feeling on combat, and shouldn't influence the devs' overall concept.

It's a beautiful goblin camp, carefully crafted, and so please don't read my concerns as negative towards this project.  

In the days of chivalry when two honourable knights were fighting, the cry would go up: "Care lest strike horse!"  Meaning no honourable warrior would strike a horse deliberately.  Goblins are not honourable, we know this, but we can't overlook the fact that players are often traumatised at losing any horse. I've seen at least one player quit the game due to losing their horse, and I feel I would be failing these people if I did not at least flag up this potential problem when I notice the chance of that happening.

Goblins with Billhooks?

2 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

I agree with this.  I was already thinking how I would go in and try to solo, to test the skill gains.  If it works, I think these will be highly sought after solo events for PvP players, wanting to push FS to the limits. 

So the new holy sites "Pulse" to give benefits. Maybe conquering a camp can pulse a fighting skill gain shared to those in the camp.  Similar set up to how uniques gives rewards to local. 

If you're afraid of your favourite horse being killed, maybe ride one that's not a top tier one? 

Also slaughtering horses was absolutely a medieval tactic, sure in one to one combat where it wasn't to the death there'd be some leeway, but not in actual combat 

5 hours ago, Muse said:

Perhaps goblins could, instead of attacking mounts, aim to dislodge the rider causing a forced dismount, the player can still lead their animal and the animal being passive would never be targeted, but it would force the player to fight on foot. 

This, we already have being thrown from horse as a mechanic

Looks cool Is this going to be like a Dragon thing. where a few over take it and no one never gets to enjoy doing it unless the few make it everyone welcome? are is more like a rift thing.?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Xagru said:

Goblin Shaman?

Good point, medic looks like generic "class" from average mmo or fps shooter. Shaman sounds better.

On 10/19/2022 at 1:14 AM, DemonaNightshade said:

Others will target mounts and pets inside the camp area, so make sure you’re not bringing your best creatures along for the battle unless you are willing to lose them.

This initially threw me off, but I like that we will need to use caution and think strategically about how to approach the fight. Horse armour will finally have a purpose, and it sounds like a good opportunity to actually start using tamed pets with combat traits. I've used a wild bison to tank a hardened lava fiend and it even gave me time to stop and heal before continuing the fight. We can breed tougher creatures with combat traits to act as tanks and send them into the camp first or stay out and use archery to avoid horses being targeted. I'm excited for this new challenge of actually having to put some thought and effort into wurm combat encounters :)

13 hours ago, Darklords said:

So the idea behind them targeting mounts is that you will be hesitant to bring them that is mostly the point behind it, allowing mounts to be ignored will trivialize the difficult as you will just be able to back out quickly with no real movement penalty which isn't something we want for this. We are open to other ideas/suggestions but the end result from them must be that mounts/vehicles are not viable to use during the entire encounter safely. There will be some other mechanics related to helping prevent cheese strategies of fighting them right on the edge and stuff like that. We will likely open this up to some public testing beforehand to assist in the balancing of it also as its a hard balance point to hit without people actively trying it out.

Give the enemies significantly reduced damage versus mountable combatants so the mounts don't get slaughtered immediately. If the mounts are able to be armored up (good for pve to finally have a use for horse armor) and tank damage from the encounter, they're actually useful. If they get killed quickly by comparison to their rider, then nobody will bring them into combat, main horse or otherwise.

This should solve the real problem here: Reducing the mobility bonus of having a mount in combat (by injuring the mount), while simultaneously preventing players from walking back to their deed (by killing the mount outright). This will not upset the balance of other components of the game (namely pvp) since it's not a broad-stroke increase to the durability of mounts. Instead, it's directly targeted at the creatures for this specific content.

Any ETA on this up on test ?

2 months or 5 years ?   the bridges by Christmas 2006 always gets me.   😉

Also, the map on the wall , can we expect other items like curtains or swords and shields being able to be put up ?

I know they have shield display .

• Like 1

I like the challenge and chance of getting your horse killed and you along with it, but I have a feeling that people are going to not want to try battling these camps with having skill loss on death.

21 hours ago, Darklords said:

So the idea behind them targeting mounts is that you will be hesitant to bring them that is mostly the point behind it, allowing mounts to be ignored will trivialize the difficult as you will just be able to back out quickly with no real movement penalty which isn't something we want for this. We are open to other ideas/suggestions but the end result from them must be that mounts/vehicles are not viable to use during the entire encounter safely. There will be some other mechanics related to helping prevent cheese strategies of fighting them right on the edge and stuff like that. We will likely open this up to some public testing beforehand to assist in the balancing of it also as its a hard balance point to hit without people actively trying it out.

Ah, I get it now! The idea for the goblins being able to target mounts is to force more combat on foot. That actually sounds like a good idea. Ground combat also allows for more strategy and it allows one to use terrain for advantage. I think I am on board with this idea. It will be fun!

Question, though. What about carts? Will hitched animals be targeted too?

This sounds like a lot of fun!

I understand the idea is to reduce the tendency toward mounted combat, and this is a great way to do it.  But for those who will ultimately try to bring mounts, can you guys take a look at a long-standing oddity where we lose stamina while riding (mounts/carts/etc) ?

But this sounds like a really fun occurrence, especially if the goblins hunker down and hide when attacked from range (and respond with their own ranged attacks!) rather than rush out one by one.  It will mean some thought and effort might be needed, depending on how many of what spawns in the individual camps.

Will siege weapons be effective against the goblin camp structures?

On 20/10/2022 at 00:51, Darklords said:

As I know the behavior wurmians at rifts and uniques slayings I can imagine player's fenced safe spot/camp near goblin camp for keep horses safety. So this traumatic problem will resolve itself during the tests. I like all this idea fighting on foot. Ordinary boring combat with mobs is changing into challenge for fighters.

On 19/10/2022 at 04:52, nicedreams said:

This is intended for group combat so could get someone with archery skill in your group and still have fun doing what you can.

Archery tower could collapse to the ground?

Edited by Xagru

Love the goblin camp idea!

We who play PvE finally got something! Woohoo!

(edit : Besides huge group activities like unique hunts and rifts)

I guess we will ride to the battle on our speed horse. And bring along an expendable battlehorse with heavy barding.

Edited by griper

I mean - losing your horse on Release is likely not too bad, but a dead horse on Xanadu?

Lets hope that the rewards scale to the increased risk!

8 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

I mean - losing your horse on Release is likely not too bad, but a dead horse on Xanadu?

Plenty of wild horses on Xanadu :D

unknown.png

Great news and simply magical update. I am very glad that such PvE activity will finally appear. I hope that we will stop having problems with electricity. By the time this content is released.

• Like 1

Any ETA on when this will be on Test?

Also, are we having a halloween event/thing this year?

The main goal of Goblin Camps is to provide a worthwhile (and fun!) way to gain fight skill over 70, and archery skill in general. Killing the goblins inside the camps will give greatly increased skill ticks compared to normal creatures, in both fighting and archery, once completed.

The main goal. is. to gain skill..

So, is this the true scope of the game? Grind numbers up in a world without meaning apart from.. grinding numbers up? Yes, you can build stuff.. if you grinded hard for litteraly days and weeks of pure in-game time..
While i appreciate that things take time, grind is not the scope i like to see in WO. And, you know i'm not alone with it.

I see, you have to entertain your whales, who are ok with a subscription model, in which pay-to-win microtransactions also exists.
But this doesn't help new players - if they would get past the tutorial (just ~12% of steamplayers did (and just ~2% done the first basic stuff))

"Oh look a fighting tutorial! .. but nobody there.."
"They're probably grinding at the goblin camps.. In several month of ingame grind, we might be able to go there ourselves.."
"Oh.. You know wha.."

How about making the world more interesting for all players, and not just your elite cores?!
How about solving the low pop issue - holding curious new players in?
How about making this goblin camps systemic and emergent?
e.g. not randomly spawning and despawing, but occuring by growing goblin populations, who group up to build a constant presence in an area, roaming, scourging and pillaging the lands. Taking over abandoned houses, mines and collecting left stuff lying around, growing a hoard. And that for other mobs as well.

My only hope on this is, that you might improve the AI. But overall, this goblins and probably the holy sites as well are more putting me off, instead of turning me on.
Instead of random unrelated events popping in, just so high level alt can grind more, to make the world more interesting and immersive, i vote for a more meaningful, simulated, dynamic world approach.

But, i like the cartography! ;)

Edited by dada
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2022 at 7:14 PM, DemonaNightshade said:

Others will target mounts and pets inside the camp area, so make sure you’re not bringing your best creatures along for the battle unless you are willing to lose them.

I wont be interested in pointed attacks to kill my horses, thankyou.

If combat must be by foot, then so be it.

WHY HAVE A NIcE HORSE IF YOU CAN'T USE THE DARNED THING.

Anyways , thanks the updates, and I hope I get over my anxiety over you guys trying to kill my horses , lol.

Edited by TeeeBOMB
words

What if goblins were polite and trolly like a nogump?

Specific or any goblin have the % ability to knock you off your horse and get on it to attack you from higher ground, now you really want to kill the goblin, horse is still branded and protected from other players to not attack and kill it, all you get in this case is you in a fight, with your horse, well.. kind of.. still in same sentence, but the goblin's riding on "it's" high horse now...

Will that be better?

Lol goblin camps are going to be so easy to cheese

On 12/18/2022 at 4:10 AM, TeeeBOMB said:

I wont be interested in pointed attacks to kill my horses, thankyou.

If combat must be by foot, then so be it.

WHY HAVE A NIcE HORSE IF YOU CAN'T USE THE DARNED THING.

Anyways , thanks the updates, and I hope I get over my anxiety over you guys trying to kill my horses , lol.

I was thinking it's more likely to give combat trait horses more of a time to shine with barding. After all, nothing to stop you speed riding there with a barded horse in tow. I do generally agree though, I'd rather see us knocked off the horse than seeing the horse dying given how awful taunting is.