Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

Valrei International: What's To Come (Part Three)

Which Exploration Update Pt 2 feature are you most looking forward to?!  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Now that all features have been revealed, we wanna know which sounds the most exciting!

well... finally getting goblins camps. Seen that future feature in lists since the beginning.

Welp... heres hoping it works well. I recal archery versus shields balance being a long running issue just in pvp.

Think Im gonna bunker down ondeed for a few months till the initial wave of bugs are fixed.

You guys that keep mentioning using trebs, cats, etc. do realize that would mean not only a ton of junk ones left everywhere but also the mines used to make ammo if ya don't wagon it in. Personally i hope the short aggro range they mentioned means we'll be sticking with handheld weapons.

• Like 1

Now would be a good time for some of them Archery qol changes people are always asking for. 

My questions so far.

How big are goblin camps?

If they can't be damages unless you are within a few tiles does that mean only short bows have a use?

And might completely exclude longbow?

What about offensive spells? Archery specifically is mentioned as needed to kill them, what about spells? Both karma and divine?

Siege tools such as catapults etc, will they work on the towers or are the camps invulnerable? 

• Like 2

Has there been mention of estimated launch date of all these new exploration features? I think everything looks fun myself and am looking forward to checking it out. 

• Like 1

I was talking with allies last night and suggested how fun it would be to be able to bash the towers.  Maybe another use for disintegrate spell?  Make archery the easiest way to take care of them, but give ground troops "non-archers" a slower, more tedious way to handle them too?

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Avaxas said:

Is there any small chance we might finally get to meet Granny Gobin at one of the camps? (She is the famed creator of such recipes as Horseburger and Chips, Tall Tail Sausage and Fishyfingers.)

You may already have met her, and just not realised 🕵️‍♂️

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DemonaNightshade said:

Inside every camp you’ll find varying  types of goblins defending it. Some fight from atop tall archery towers, requiring ranged attacks to defeat them. Others will target mounts and pets inside the camp area, so make sure you’re not bringing your best creatures along for the battle unless you are willing to lose them. Each goblin variant  will have its own special abilities and priorities in the fight.

This is an unfortunate combination of mechanics which is more likely to cause irritation rather than intrigue.

Starting with archery, you will always need to deal with the melee monsters before you can even bother with archery. This leaves only a few viable strategies:

• If the melee creatures can be kited to the point where they remain aggressive, while being outside the range of archery, this is the most efficient way to approach the camp.
  • If the melee creatures cannot be kited away from the archers, and the archers do significant damage, then you'll need to use a shield to block the arrows.
  • If the melee creatures cannot be kited, but the archers are dealing insignificant damage, then you'll just ignore them and they aren't relevant to the encounter anyway.

Once the melee are dealt with, then you'll be attacking the ranged. I can't see a design where the opposite occurs.

On the topic of the creatures targeting mounts, this should be removed outright. Players will just leave their horses at the border. The differential between mount damage and player damage is immense. Mounts take multiple times more damage than players even with the best armor you can get. When they get injured, your movement speed is penalized harder than if you were on foot. So then, why be on a mount in the first place? Everyone will just leave their mounts at the door and enter the camp on foot. And if you're entering on foot, you're going to remain as close to the border as possible when fighting so you can leash the mobs if combat is going poorly.

The main goal of Goblin Camps is to provide a worthwhile (and fun!) way to gain fight skill over 70, and archery skill in general. Killing the goblins inside the camps will give greatly increased skill ticks compared to normal creatures, in both fighting and archery, once completed. After clearing the camp, those who helped will also be able to loot items from around the camp. These items will include new decorations and some other exciting things yet to be revealed!

Unless the tick is equal for all players, it's likely players will just solo the camps anyways to get the most out of it. That's why players don't hunt in groups to begin with. Fight skill gains when 2 or more players are splitting it is significantly lower than if both were to solo hunt individually. Strong players will be able to cheese the camps through efficient kiting and a healing alt. If you want the camps to be approached anywhere near the way that's intended, these should give increased skill ticks that are independent of the amount of players that participated so that it's encouraged to group, since it definitely wont be required.

• Like 2

Medic Goblin
Attempts to heal nearby damaged goblins getting them back into fighting shape, undoing all your hard work damaging that brute.

Goblin Shaman?

• Like 1

When I saw the thumb in the game launcher I know we were about to hear about the long awaited goblin camps.

:D

I heard about those before I started Wurm for real. When I was just tryin it out a little - no animation age.

Edited by Idlamn

I like the goblin camps, but also hope they add a spell or so to retrieve all the arrows.

Honestly, all three sound awesome and it was really a toss up between Goblin camps and Cartography for me.

But I gotta go with ' What is more fun ways to kill things for $500, Alex.' :)

Yea, I love the goblin camp idea and can't wait to give it a go, but I am also worried about the fact that they will target mounts, and I wonder if this will keep me away from the fun. There are a lot of players in the game like me - who are not horse breeders and have no interest in the activity. Those players only have a few prized horses that someone bred for them, or that they bought.

Also, let us use all the siege machines that we have laying around in combat with the goblins! That would rock.

• Like 1

Apologies if I've missed something obvious, but what's the rough estimated time-frame for this to be out of testing and implemented live?

Thanks!

Target mounts + fear of losing horses = solution to donkey overpopulation 

The devs thought of everything 🤓

• Like 1

So the idea behind them targeting mounts is that you will be hesitant to bring them that is mostly the point behind it, allowing mounts to be ignored will trivialize the difficult as you will just be able to back out quickly with no real movement penalty which isn't something we want for this. We are open to other ideas/suggestions but the end result from them must be that mounts/vehicles are not viable to use during the entire encounter safely. There will be some other mechanics related to helping prevent cheese strategies of fighting them right on the edge and stuff like that. We will likely open this up to some public testing beforehand to assist in the balancing of it also as its a hard balance point to hit without people actively trying it out.

• Like 5

Perhaps goblins could, instead of attacking mounts, aim to dislodge the rider causing a forced dismount, the player can still lead their animal and the animal being passive would never be targeted, but it would force the player to fight on foot.  

It's not what I call a pleasant scenario - having to fight on foot, but then that's my personal feeling on combat, and shouldn't influence the devs' overall concept.

It's a beautiful goblin camp, carefully crafted, and so please don't read my concerns as negative towards this project.  

In the days of chivalry when two honourable knights were fighting, the cry would go up: "Care lest strike horse!"  Meaning no honourable warrior would strike a horse deliberately.  Goblins are not honourable, we know this, but we can't overlook the fact that players are often traumatised at losing any horse. I've seen at least one player quit the game due to losing their horse, and I feel I would be failing these people if I did not at least flag up this potential problem when I notice the chance of that happening.

Edited by Muse
  • Like 4

I'm liking the cartography and really hoping maps can be wall mounted.

I have no priest so have no opinion on the holy sites.

I like the goblin camps with the new goblin mobs and do find this to be the more exciting feature. :)The added use for archery is a definite plus for me and I really hope archery does get an overhaul but the mount targeting I do have issue with.  If these camps are going to be in somewhat remote locations are we supposed to walk to them when we could cover the same distance in half the time on a horse? I know very few players who explore without a mount or vehicle of some kind which creates a dilemma of what to safely do with their mounts/hitched animals while engaged in the fight. Are we to build more fence pens to litter the lands to this end (which is already a matter of contention from the rifts)?  I think Muse's dislodging idea makes more sense to me if the whole objective is to eliminate the use of a cavalry style of fighting. The player is left on foot and the animal remains unharmed with no landscape littering pens needing to be created. That sounds like a win win to me.

8 minutes ago, Katrat said:

really hoping maps can be wall mounted.

carto_01.png

Picture from our first VI on these new features if you missed it. 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sindusk said:

Unless the tick is equal for all players, it's likely players will just solo the camps anyways to get the most out of it. That's why players don't hunt in groups to begin with. Fight skill gains when 2 or more players are splitting it is significantly lower than if both were to solo hunt individually. Strong players will be able to cheese the camps through efficient kiting and a healing alt. If you want the camps to be approached anywhere near the way that's intended, these should give increased skill ticks that are independent of the amount of players that participated so that it's encouraged to group, since it definitely wont be required.

I agree with this.  I was already thinking how I would go in and try to solo, to test the skill gains.  If it works, I think these will be highly sought after solo events for PvP players, wanting to push FS to the limits. 

3 hours ago, Darklords said:

So the idea behind them targeting mounts is that you will be hesitant to bring them that is mostly the point behind it, allowing mounts to be ignored will trivialize the difficult as you will just be able to back out quickly with no real movement penalty which isn't something we want for this. We are open to other ideas/suggestions but the end result from them must be that mounts/vehicles are not viable to use during the entire encounter safely. There will be some other mechanics related to helping prevent cheese strategies of fighting them right on the edge and stuff like that. We will likely open this up to some public testing beforehand to assist in the balancing of it also as its a hard balance point to hit without people actively trying it out.

Goblins can throw nets maybe? Causes a slowdown for mount + rider.

How about goblins can place traps in their enclosed camp that can catch riding animals in them and tangle them for a certain amount of time in place?

For me the big question is how many there will be on a server at a given time. Besides that: not my type of feature.