Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

Valrei International: What's To Come (Part Three)

Which Exploration Update Pt 2 feature are you most looking forward to?!  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Now that all features have been revealed, we wanna know which sounds the most exciting!

cover_10172022.png

Hello, Wurmians, we’re back with the final Valrei International focused on bringing a sneak peek into the Exploration Update Part Two! If you missed part one and two of these sneak peek issues, you can find them here:

And now, without further ado, I’m excited to announce that our third major feature introduced in this update will be… Goblin Camps!

WurmForumDivider_Plain.png

Rumours of strange new goblins have begun to spread around the lands, of goblins who are smarter and tougher than the ones we typically find. These goblins have advanced combat techniques and organize themselves into camps, working together to defend them. When coming across a goblin camp, you will notice it is well defended; spiked barriers line the edges of the camp while ranged attacks rain down from atop wooden towers into the battle below.

goblin_tower.png

Goblin camps provide a new combat encounter you can find out in the wilds of Wurm which will be tailored to smaller to medium groups of players rather than single players. The hope is that this will be a bit more challenging than your normal combat and require a small group of adventurers banding together to complete. With uniques being the only real group combat encounter,  this felt like a good place to introduce another one which requires less players and spawn much more frequently, making them easier to find and participate in.

goblin_camp_full_view.png

Inside every camp you’ll find varying  types of goblins defending it. Some fight from atop tall archery towers, requiring ranged attacks to defeat them. Others will target mounts and pets inside the camp area, so make sure you’re not bringing your best creatures along for the battle unless you are willing to lose them. Each goblin variant  will have its own special abilities and priorities in the fight.

These camps will spawn away from villages and the goblins will not attack you (nor can you attack them) unless you are within a few tiles of the perimeter of their camp. After some time with no one challenging them for too long in the current area, they may become bored and pack up camp to find a new location. These goblins, though smarter, still have not figured out how to dig and they will make no changes to the land they decide to inhabit other than clearing some trees out to make room for their camp if they are in the way.

WurmForumDivider_Fancy_Top.png

And now, to introduce our newest enemies!

WurmForumDivider_Fancy_Bottom.png

goblin_pyro.png

Pyro Goblin

Goblins with a love for fire, who will throw flaming containers of liquid onto tiles causing them to deal damage over time till they burn out. Leave these alive too long and you might find your escape blocked by burning piles of tar.

goblin_brute.png

Brute Goblin

A strong and durable goblin who will charge up to targets and stun them for a short period of time. Not something you want to leave alive for long as they pack quite the punch and will make short work of mounts preferring to focus them first.

goblin_rogue.png

Rogue Goblin

Will be hiding in the shadows and only make themselves known after ambushing someone and dealing a rather large amount of damage. Just when you think you’ve successfully backed off to heal, one of these may pop out to surprise you!

goblin_fighter.png

Shield, Medic, and Ranged Goblins will all look similar to these Sword Goblins above, just with different held items pertaining to their type. The models for these types are still a work in progress.

Sword Goblin
Just your average goblin with a sword trying to stab you to death, nothing more and nothing less.

Shield Goblin
Can take one heck of a beating while he goes around annoying people into attacking him instead of their chosen target. A goblin you can’t forget about… because it won’t let you!

Ranged Goblin
Will attack you from their towers above, and require ranged attacks to be defeated. These will make archery much more useful!

Medic Goblin
Attempts to heal nearby damaged goblins getting them back into fighting shape, undoing all your hard work damaging that brute.

goblin_campfire.png

WurmForumDivider_Fancy_Top.png

Rewards from defeating Goblin Camps

WurmForumDivider_Fancy_Bottom.png

The main goal of Goblin Camps is to provide a worthwhile (and fun!) way to gain fight skill over 70, and archery skill in general. Killing the goblins inside the camps will give greatly increased skill ticks compared to normal creatures, in both fighting and archery, once completed. After clearing the camp, those who helped will also be able to loot items from around the camp. These items will include new decorations and some other exciting things yet to be revealed!

community_hosted_events.png

The 5th Annual Luna-Long will be hosted by Dracaa from December 9th through the 19th! Players in the Southern Freedom Isles can travel to Xanadu to attend this event, which is always a good time. To find more information on the Luna-Long, check out Dracaa's post linked below!

That's it for the final Exploration Update Part Two sneak peek issues of the Valrei International! We hope to have everything up for testing soon, so you can all check out cartography, holy sites, and goblin camps for yourselves!

• Like 46
  • Cat 3

Oh my nerves are all aflutter with this new and exiting update!  Really looking forward to this update even more now.

15 minutes ago, DemonaNightshade said:

Not something you want to leave alive for long as they pack quite the punch and will make short work of mounts preferring to focus them first.

Will be curious to see the number of faithful steeds lost in the near future - and to see if chain barding will finally have a chance to shine!

ETA: And, goodness gracious, does the existence of Goblin Camps imply the potential existence of Troll Camps to ratchet things up even further??

Edited by Sidereal
  • Like 5

New decorations like... THESE????

1BUxeCz.pngsrtEHTg.png

What's this? Do we get goblin archaeologic stuff or just have to clean up litter?

mQGLwSR.png

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, DemonaNightshade said:

goblin_rogue.png

Do I get royalties for inspiring your rogue goblin via my profile pic?

• Like 5

Now we need a goblin kingdom, let them spread and make towers 😛

• Like 2

..flame burning skull lamps ??

..courier enchant to get random spooky eyesocket lights??

recipe to learn and craft more than just a few?

I hope lots of kewl archaeology stuff. 😃  But very excited 

17 minutes ago, Sidereal said:

ETA: And, goodness gracious, does the existence of Goblin Camps imply the potential existence of Troll Camps to ratchet things up even further??

Please oh yes! And then please add skulls in varying sizes please! And don't make them pile so you can decorate with them! 

Cool bananas, this is one update i can fully get excited about.  NICE

Looks amazing, great way to increase usage of archery in PVE. And can we make them smart enough to take the weapons and armor of fallen comrades and equip them? 😉 

Brilliant Idea!  However, I fully expect the highest-level players will be able to solo via kiting, healing, and other clever tactics, unless the goblins are prevented from leaving their camp?

Troll camps using the same game mechanics and creature variations would be an amazing encore to this exciting feature.

About time i mentioned this long time ago but i said bandit camps that spawn goblins are good as well but same idea. Thank you for finally getting around to this idea of a feature. But I would include troll encamp ments as well as a add on which would be tougher and better rewards.

1. Now that all features have been revealed, we wanna know which sounds the most exciting!

They're each so exciting in their own way, how can you possibly expect us to choose just one?!  😭😭😭

• Like 3

I really like this. It finally gives ballista a use on non-PvP servers.

• Like 1

Cartography seems interesting, but not sure how much time I could invest in it with all the other skills out there that I really need to focus on.

Diety stuff - I honestly wish diety business would go away and just have spells.  No more domains, no more praying. 

Goblin camps sound pretty fun.  It is really too bad that archery is a requirement though.  It just means another stack of equipment we need to carry around.  Most games I love being an archer, but I really REALLY dislike Wurm's version of it. 

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

2 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

Goblin camps sound pretty fun.  It is really too bad that archery is a requirement though.  It just means another stack of equipment we need to carry around.  Most games I love being an archer, but I really REALLY dislike Wurm's version of it. 

This part! It's cool to have a usefulness for archery, but unfortunately i don't know if that will affect the fun-ness (or un-fun-ness) of it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lovelie said:

This part! It's cool to have a usefulness for archery, but unfortunately i don't know if that will affect the fun-ness (or un-fun-ness) of it.

Agreed.  I personally will never skill it though, just so I can be the one taking out towers.  I'll gladly clear the ground level minions and spam freedom for someone that has a bow.  I'm pretty eager to discover the CR of these new goblins.  Will they be on par of close to the GL?  Half way from a champ to a GL?  Could a very strong solo player take them out one by one?  How far will they stray from camp, as in how far away shall I park my horse?  I bet it is the same as rifts that way. Mini pens will be popping up everywhere. Fun times ahead.

It would be nice if the camps replanted trees of different types (or unavailable types) when they move on.

I hear your comments about the necessity of archery being a bit of a downer for some. But on the flip side, those of us who love archery and wished there were better ways to level it up are excited. There may be a shortage of archers for the first few camps, but once a few more people pick the skill (now that it will be easier to level on Freadom Isles), we should be fine. I will be fun to have a force of both melee and archers going to clear a camp. The ground forces can concentrate on the ground goblins, while archers take out the towers, to make the battlefield less dangerous.

Or that's the hope. We'll see how it works :) But personally, I love the addition of archery there and I hope that it won't be that much of a hindrance to those players who simply don't want to level it.

• Like 2