Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Foggy fog from ur perspective

On 9/28/2022 at 9:02 PM, DevBlog said:
  • Fix: Buffed Fog – it should now show better in the modern renderer.

I was mostly mining these days. Seeing the buffed fog in a relatively dark narrow mazy cave feel like something will come out from the fog and about to jump scare suddenly. It gets a little vibe of halloween. U know people use the fog machines in halloween displays such as haunted houses to generate the artificial fog.

I seldom do hunting and treasure map. Deeded on a small hill. So I can only imagine fog makes the exploration maybe more challenging, and idk how people see the buffed fog from their place like high mountain, an island, swampland, etc.

How did the foggy fog affect ur experience in wurm?

• Like 1

My smithy is underground, and at one point I thought something had caught fire, as I could scarcely see in there. Did not at first realize it was fog, or that fog was something which could be observed in underground layers.

I love the new fog! It looks so great and I've missed actual fog so much. Here's some fog from my little island...

9RUB5ag.jpeg

EDWdHxJ.jpeg

• Like 7

Since the fog update, I am still waiting to see the real thick fog to see how it looks now. That used to be one fun experience! A bit scary too. Hopefully it looks at least just as good now.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Seriphina said:

my little island...

9RUB5ag.jpeg

EDWdHxJ.jpeg

Very pretty island!

I love the fog! Looks really awesome and moe realistic!

I love the new fog. It makes it so much easier to see the shape of the terrain. Outlines and hillsides become much clearer, and there's a sense of distance that just doesn't exist without it.

07Jde5j.jpg

• Like 3

I don't get enough ingame time any more, do we have the 1-3 tile visibility back in thick fog like we used to?

3 hours ago, SmeJack said:

I don't get enough ingame time any more, do we have the 1-3 tile visibility back in thick fog like we used to?

I was standing front of lit forge, suddenly everything went so dark i thought my screen or GPU is blowing up. Turned around, couldn't see door behind me 3 tiles away. Night and fog rules ok.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SmeJack said:

only seen Fog to the degree Sheffie has posted so far,

nothing like the old style fog :(

• Like 2

I saw the "old fog" for the first time the other night during night time on Deli. It was incredible. I couldn't see 2-3 tiles away. 

• Like 2

love it ! Also it makes my island off the coast an eerie place. i can tell you, adds reality to game.

Wait you guys get fog? :( I miss weather effects and night time

I had and have weather effects on my linux notebook all the years, as it is running an older version of OpenGL (Mac does, too) and therefore uses some features from the legacy renderer. Granted, fog is bit less dense even there than it was in the old times. And no, I do not miss that, nor even darker nights. On boxes with less expensive graphics controllers, and drivers e.g. under Linux, nights are fairly dark, and more darkness would just immobilize. If there were more configurable settings allowing ultra dark night and ultra dense fog fans to enjoy them without harrassing the rest, I would be all for.

Edited by Ekcin

Talking about the weather condition of fog…  

At low or minimum graphics the fog makes it VERY difficult to see far. Cool effect, but not exactly “pretty”.

But I play my main at high or maximum graphics. The fog is very pretty but doesn’t really impede visibility much. I wouldn’t mind if foggy weather were thicker. Still, it’s definitely a big improvement from a couple months ago. Makes nice screenshots  :) 

QyXGobO.jpg

It gets pretty bad.

I can't see past like 6 tiles.

Great view of overture today.
3Ixsdgw.jpg

Edited by Arno

There is a lot of very thick fog on Mel.  As an explorer and treasure hunter I hate it because it becomes almost impossible to see any terrain around you.    

I am super pleased to see the fog back, it adds a very nice level of immersion, especially if out hunting and exploring :)

• Like 5

Love the fog always have...even before the fog spiders...recent pic

PG8ftN9.jpg

Edited by Hailiah
  • Like 1

Its a pity how bland the weather is in wurm.

I miss the old days of real fog and nights that made lamps worth something.

There could be so much more atmosphere with denser weather effects as well.

Had some very thick fog roll in the other day, as long as its a rare occurance I'm actually a huge fan of this, adds a bit of a twist to exploring and navigating the world. Glad I wasn't out sailing at the time though.zHtnxn0.png

mAGHvGj.jpg

Well, now I have a feeling that it's not my settings causing lack of thick fog, but rather it's the weather on Harmony in general? Do different servers have different weather? (Although the vision on low quality is definitely less far-reaching than max) 

One minute after logging in, I saw some pretty good fog...

M93IYLJ.jpg

Fl98x05.jpg

But then literally within the next minute, it suddenly switched off :(

I asked freedom and somebody else also said the fog suddenly flipped off like a switch.

8cWGw6I.jpg

PMtaLTC.jpg

I play and travel a hell of a lot and this is maybe the only time I noticed it like this.

More fog please and thank you :)

Edited by Lovelie
  • Like 1