Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 11-OCT-2022 & October’s Monthly Skin!

And while we're talking tile height/slope limits, can we have the max height of a cave tile bumped up to 300 or whatever the max surface limit is?

4 hours ago, DevBlog said:

Bugfix: Made Keybinds work on items in the two crafting window slots.

Thank you so much!!

3 hours ago, Darklords said:

We have loaded some new software onto the server with this reset to hopefully let us nail down where that lag is coming from.

Need be we can increase this a bit.

It sure would be great.  Many times on a big surface mining cliff job I've made a slip and mined 1 down more than I wanted.  Happens from lag spikes, disconnects or yes, I get distracted too.  To have absolutely no way to repair these mistakes... well, what is the point?  So yes, please consider upping that slope considerably.  Why not set it for 3x mining skill?  That would seem like a great compromise.

Thank you for being open to changing this :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madnath said:

Removing it due to possible server crashing is fine, I understand and accept that. Part of me just heavily doubts what's put down. What's the difference between what I'm doing and Dragonfang and the higher mountain ranges on Xanadu? Why not just put a height limit on erupt slightly below that to allow silly projects like this to continue?

My best guess would be that it's not corner height vs server, but actual border height potentially throwing an invalid error at a calculation. 

It sucks to see it gone, and I hope the limit can be adjusted closer to 300 if not 300 itself (at least on pve servers if pvp is a fear). Erupt is by no means a replacement or competition for concrete, which is almost primarily used in small scale projects or underground 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakiah said:

And while we're talking tile height/slope limits, can we have the max height of a cave tile bumped up to 300 or whatever the max surface limit is?

To my knowledge cave ceiling limit is a data type issue. And changing a data type in an old and complex software complex is spreading randomly exploding time bombs all over the place. Ok maybe I exaggerate ..

But saw the "what could happen?" a few times too often.

Edited by Ekcin

And to something completely different: Rift changes from previous patch. I fought a rift today with 3 players and a healer (alt), and the reward in points was ok, but in fact, the reward in materials, mm in particular, was meager. With the current mob count, the 95 to 136 participation points (no WM killed) was close to maximum to achieve, and MM ql in the 80s was bit disappointing given the effort, also the reward mats (which are no issue for me due to mining and woodcutting skill, but would be for many with less). Could the reward calculation be adjusted to the smaller mob count? 

If the erupt raising can crash the server, maybe just put the maximum limit just below that. If its a max slope issue, then that -1, if it's an overall universal height, than maybe that -1.

Also. I can't help but agree that there are other issues that need more attention than this. Buggy server crossings, the inconsistency in damaging bridges with catapults, that sort of thing. I find it really amazing that we can pop any building of any size that we've made instantly, but can't pop a bridge we made without an extreme investment in time or money.

In any case, despite those not being addressed, I still appreciate the time and effort put in to improve the game.

• Like 2

Not to mention, it's a sandbox game, these kind of limits are (unless necessary for server stability as mentioned) kind of anathema the the idea of this sort of game.

Limiting the creativity and personal aesthetic of the player base disenfranchises said group. That's like forcing everyone to eat pizza, whether they like pizza or not. You and I may think they're nutty for not liking pizza, but that's their choice, isn't it?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Fearil said:

Not to mention, it's a sandbox game, these kind of limits are (unless necessary for server stability as mentioned) kind of anathema the the idea of this sort of game.

Limiting the creativity and personal aesthetic of the player base disenfranchises said group. That's like forcing everyone to eat pizza, whether they like pizza or not. You and I may think they're nutty for not liking pizza, but that's their choice, isn't it?

Actually more or less you are forced to eat pizza if you aim for long timers :P

Wow killing erupt. I have to agree. Having basically the only change in a patch being this of all things makes me feel like the others. Is this really worth focusing on over every thing else?

I had planned to use it to fix some slopes by raising the cliff until a tile was just 40 to concrete the rest but won't now.

Also, if a group wanted to make a giant spike using up a huge amount of effort. Let them. I enjoyed reading Mad's update. Things like that were what made Wurm awesome. 

Just, bleh. Feels bad patch. 

Had this been in a patch with some good qol changes too it would have gone over better. Nerfing and killing things in a game as the bulk of a patch always feels bad.

• Like 4

This patch reminds me of games like mortal online or planetside 2 which have no competitive scene and yet are nerf balanced to solve imaginary scenarios that nobody is doing while huge portions of the game go unused

I think we have many good solutions but the devs never confirmed the reasoning. I will be VERY interested to see the dev response on the community outcry here. I am choosing to overcome my cynicism and be optimistic, I have faith in the devs as they have earned that recently. Let's add more functionality not remove what functionality we players already have please.

Can we talk about the ridiculous fact that this is still the ONLY meditation ability that requires a deity?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

Can we talk about the ridiculous fact that this is still the ONLY meditation ability that requires a deity?

It is yet another mechanic that leaves random altars scattered throughout Wurm.  I suppose I would not mind it much if we could just load altars.

• Like 1

So upon having time to reflect more on this, I realised that this is once again another mechanic I got nerfed. And so, to vent out a little bit, I made a meme just as scuffed as this update.

Lq820JQ.png

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 5

We are discussing raising the limit to allow more use cases not sure the final value but I understand that 40 does seem a bit low.

1 hour ago, Madnath said:

So upon having time to reflect more on this, I realised that this is once again another mechanic I got nerfed. And so, to vent out a little bit, I made a meme just as scuffed as this update.

What item duplication in bulk storage are you referencing?

• Like 2

I wonder what this "crash" limit is given we have had and abused bugs before to create 32k+ tile height tile corners for launching ourselves across servers in years gone past with 0 server crashes for the 2 months that that was around, then before that we found ways to create empty tiles(hello void tiles that still happen now meet your dad) that upon walking into them would crash you and upon reconnect(gotta be fast) would launch you into any direction depending on where you were facing before creating a tile spike of insane height(not sure how tall these were) but again no crashes.

So what has changed so drastically that a +4 dirt a day to create a 2k-8k spike would actually crash the server? Curious to know because there have been 9 bugs since the start of wurm that created insanely tall spikes with 0 issues what so ever beyond an upset(and sometimes laughing) Rolf? Mostly want to know because then if we do find one again we can tell them not to use it period because it would then thus affect everyone and not just themselves with a gimmicky mechanic.

• Like 2

Will Exploration pt.2 go straight to the live servers or will it go on test first?

I have been playing Wurm for 10 years now and large scale teraforming projects have been my main play loop.  To this end I have logged in nearly every day for the past 7 years, like clockwork, to use up my Eruption ability and sculpt my deed.  Now the project is about 75% done and there is no mechanic (in this "sandbox" game) for me to complete it.  Add on top of it several of the mistakes I've made that can not be fix because they are a few slop above 300 and nothing in game can be done.  In short, revert this.

• Like 1

As a side note, the 40 limit on concrete is just too low, imo. I'd love to see this be more relevant by including skill in the process. These kinds of hard cap by imperial writ just NEED to be tied to skill, similar to digging and mining. Perhaps this is a good use for a similar equation using masonry (skill x3), or concrete QL (ql x 3). As for erupt I do think a high cap would be a good way of balancing it and letting it stand above the skill equation as a benefit of that path, 500 or something like that, with a hard cap to avoid going outside of the vertical server boundary (if it exists).

Again, rather than stifling creativity, empower the player base to make create new and interesting landscapes by allowing them the tools to do so.

(Maybe prepare a rock face with steel spikes to allow the concrete to stick better on higher slopes? That preparation decays relative to spike ql, or is necessary every 20 slope, or some limiting factor to stop the mountainsides from becoming prepared slopes forever. Anyways, there are, I'm sure, plenty of better ideas out there than just slapping a 40 slope limit on it and moving on.)

Edited by Fearil
  • Like 1

Sometimes it is easier to fix stuff that does not need fixing, because they have no clue how to fix what is really broke ..

See we did something this week ...

Wow... "Fixing" Erupt because lava spikes could go on indefinitely is wrong, I remember the bugs @wipeoutis mentioning and those were so much worse than a lava spike.

Hard cap it at max server height, whatever, but finding another way to stifle creativity is not the direction we should be going in a sandbox game.

If you're concerned about PVP - just eliminate the ability there like pretty much every other meditation ability or keep it at this arbitrarily dumb cap.

In the 15 years I've played this game, this "fix" is right up there with opening the home servers to raiding.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 4:22 PM, Tor said:

So, what is the name of the new title?

Thank you to all .

A 10 years mile stone is planted.

You have just received the title 'Who let the dogs out'!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, moogien said:

You have just received the title 'Who let the dogs out'!

Some error must have occured as we all seem to have that title.

Sign in to follow this