Sign in to follow this  
Bloodreina

Old monthly skins (suggestion #1)

Hey everyone,

Simple suggestion: allow us to purchase the old monthly skins

More details: I think it will be better to have them priced at twice their original price, so there's still an incentive to buy them in the month they are released and there can still be some profit margin for people buying them for reselling

A few reasons:
- I think is waster opportunity to have some amazing assets in game that most people will never see because of scarcity
- I think is unfair to people that starter the game later and will miss them
- I think is heavily unfair to people that due to RL situations were not able to log in a certain month and will miss them

Disclaimer: Yeah, that comes from a personal frustration of missing on the teddy bear backpack skin because of RL circumstances that were out of my control. Still I think it's a fair idea for everyone and I do think having my premium time paid and not being able to take advantage of it a big enough punish by itself.

Cheers!

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 2
  • Cat 1

-1 i like its something in the game, that not everyone can buy/craft.

• Like 1

It's weird way of thinking to put effort into making a skin and then make it availible for limited currency AND for limited time, very anti consumer and pro greedy window of opportunity resellers. It looks like the skins are made for resellers and not the loyal customers.

+1 for make them avaliable in any reasoanble way or quit making them and put the same effort into updating or adding the game assests that everyone can benefit instead of whoever is reselling thise skins, in a time where there's constantain complaints about how the limited dev time and resources are hindering the development of new stuff

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tor said:

It looks like the skins are made for resellers and not the loyal customers.

Pretty much the best argument I have heard so far. 

• Like 2

It’s a really common tactic for f2p games that make their money off of limited things like skins... Rely on FOMO to get people to buy. 

That can still work if skins are available later at much higher prices (like OP suggested, 2x price to buy it later). 

It can also work if some super special skins are strictly limited while the normal monthly ones are available later. I mean, even that tactic is another common way for games to to milk the whales (exorbitant prices on the super-special stuff, “normal” prices on the other stuff), for better or for worse.

Wurm’s player base is so small, and as for the play styles… It’s pretty common for people to play over a long time but not necessarily every day / every month. I don’t think limiting the skins is making people log in more frequently. Instead, there’s probably people that would shell out the money, if they had a longer or another chance. That’s just my thought…

I think having skins available to purchase later is a good idea.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tor said:

It's weird way of thinking to put effort into making a skin and then make it availible for limited currency AND for limited time

You must not play many other games do you. 

Limited time cosmetics are huge, the only usual difference is they can't be resold. 

15 hours ago, Archaed said:

Limited time cosmetics are huge, the only usual difference is they can't be resold. 

Limited time cosmetics are huge for huge games with over 100k monthly players. Wurm barely has 1500 unique ones at this point if not lower. Wurm isn't a huge game and using the same strategies as big corps is folly. By not allowing skins to be purchased wurm actively denies a part of its income and also denies players that are on break to acess a part of its content. 

• Like 4

If making old skins accessible for twice the price isn't going to make them exclusive enough - and/or is going to decrease the game's revenue too much - then perhaps making them available for 10 x the original price would.

This means that

• the markup for re-selling a skin would be fixed — speculators now know that they can sell a skin for, say, 5-8 x original price and still be cheaper than the store price
  • players who have Marks and are online when a skin comes out are more likely to buy one, since it's so much cheaper to buy now than later
  • there's a new channel for "whales" to boost game revenue by buying a skin that they missed out on earlier

I think the only people unhappy with this idea would be those who want to have a skin that no one else has.

no, why - the 10x.. factor

just make them possible to buy later FROM WEBSHOP WITH REAL MONEY ONLY

once free with marks.. later available at any time, but at a cost, anybody joining the game later wont feel like world ended long before it joined the party and will still be able to look a little different at additional cost;

at the same time anybody could dump loyalty-marks and resell for same or similar to webshop price for silver if they want to do that

few problems with current system:

- no option to obtain previous skins - maybe you didn't like it at the time it was out or you didn't have marks/silver to obtain it, you weren't even playing or were on break from the game, weren't using or planning to use such weapon/shield/armor type/decorate with something.... well NOW YOU DO want that item in your collection.. spend a few "real napkins" and obtain it(even if you pay with online rl cash transaction..) 

- limited amount of new ensured unique art coming into the game

- lack of interest to get more than 1 skin per month(maybe more purchases will open the highway to more microtransactions with variety, occurrence, etc)

there's decision to take.. keep everybody happy.. or 5 people buying in bulk and reselling to make big buck few months later from others, which is better goal to chase for the game and the players

54 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

If making old skins accessible for twice the price isn't going to make them exclusive enough - and/or is going to decrease the game's revenue too much - then perhaps making them available for 10 x the original price would.

This means that

• the markup for re-selling a skin would be fixed — speculators now know that they can sell a skin for, say, 5-8 x original price and still be cheaper than the store price
  • players who have Marks and are online when a skin comes out are more likely to buy one, since it's so much cheaper to buy now than later
  • there's a new channel for "whales" to boost game revenue by buying a skin that they missed out on earlier

I think the only people unhappy with this idea would be those who want to have a skin that no one else has.

Yeah 10x is way too much. To an actually silly and absurd amount. What you're proposing is making them more expensive than a large magic chest, meditation path chain, faith swap and an hour extra of SB for your cap. It's just a touch absurd. A total of 45K marks is silly. Let's not be silly.

• Like 2

If 2x is too low and 10x is too high, then it's just a matter of finding the right multiplier.

That said, I'm perfectly fine with Finn's suggestion of using real money to buy skins.

(But then, I'm also in favour of using real money to buy Marks. I mean, you can already buy Marks with real money. It's just that you also get 12 months' premium when you do so. Why not take the premium time out of the equation and make a similar amount of marks available for a smaller number of dollarbucks?)

Edited by Sheffie

41 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

If 2x is too low and 10x is too high, then it's just a matter of finding the right multiplier.

That said, I'm perfectly fine with Finn's suggestion of using real money to buy skins.

(But then, I'm also in favour of using real money to buy Marks. I mean, you can already buy Marks with real money. It's just that you also get 12 months' premium when you do so. Why not take the premium time out of the equation and make a similar amount of marks available for a smaller number of dollarbucks?)

Because then it's no longer really a loyalty reward system. It's just an additional currency ingame which we don't really need.

• Cat 1

This. Please. Those people who sell skins don't have all skins. I'm convinced that some skins no longer exist in their applying form. Many people would like those to apply to items that are special to them and obtained after the particular monthly skin launch. I haven't even been playing that long, in relative terms, and have already ran in to this a few times. 

• Like 1

Just make them 4500 on the release and 6000 regualr, that's like 25% off

On 10/11/2022 at 8:23 PM, Archaed said:

You must not play many other games do you. 

What other game do you play then that have 1 defult look for a sword and 1 skin avaible to buy?

All games i know/play have tons of different looks for 1 single sword or skins for it

• Like 2