Sign in to follow this  
Zachariah

PETITION | Rift Safety Pens

After the rift on Release today we decided to bash the fences of the safety pen. The rift was on a tundra and tundras a notoriously known for healing themselves very slowly. However, as it was off deed they take forever to bash. 

So I am proposing a petition. Can we please, as a community, make the conscious effort to use buildings as safe houses. We get one world and we need to keep it safe. As everyone knows these safety pens are becoming a stain on our world. Whenever riding around through the wild I always know there was a rift here long ago based off the safety pens. 

So very simple, as a community can we make the promise and the conscious effort to use buildings instead of fences. The building can be deleted after the rift is over very easily.  Rifts already leave a large stain on this world lets not help them make it bigger. 

• Like 5

well make 1 large pen at each site for everyone and make a conscious effort for everyone to stay behind 20 mins or so afterwards and bash a fence each. could give rewards for the cleanest rift site.

• Like 1

If you build a wooden plank fence/gate out of QL 1 materials, it generates at QL 2.  I used to do this at rifts, so the enclosure would decay quickly without me needing to bash it.  I've never seen a Jackal bash, so the quality level seems to have no effect on function.  Enclosures also leave the terrain as is (no flattening).

I agree the higher quality enclosures that stick around are an eyesore.

Edited by Teggs
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Teggs said:

Enclosures also leave the terrain as is (no flattening).

This is actually a good point. I didn't think about the flattening of the land for a house. I guess they both have their advantages and disadvantages. I like the idea of 1ql materials producing a 2ql fence. Just trying to come up with an idea that would help with the effects that rifts have on the environment. I know this has been a long time conversation amongst the community but I think we can come up with a good idea that everyone can adopt to stop this from happening. Or if you build it please stay around to bash it. 

Possibly but unless youre going to drag a catapult to the rift every time youre leaving catapults everywhere. 

could be safety pens.. but with ql 1-2 materials(campfire to burn ql lower).. high skill I think still raises ql as you build the fence.. so not ideal, houses take more materials, you'll hardly force people to spend more time, and while doing that start deforesting to make a safety-pen/house

43 minutes ago, Trash said:

catapult?

catapults are another issue, hard to get rid of these(lava tile works best..)

If I'm being perfectly honest. I don't see the point of these safety pens. I get they are to protect alts from rouge rifts mobs. But if you park them far enough away they will be fine and just have to be able to defend themselves against regular mobs. Especially since the fact that the 4th wave was taken out and rifts take a lot less time then before I find the safety pens are being used less and less. 

With houses, you have to flatten the ground which can be just as bad in certain areas. 

I suppose that there would be less issue for people if these pens would be removed after the rifts.  Our maps are ugly enough from years of deeds and old roads no one removes.  For me it’s just basic morales of cleaning up after yourself.

• Like 1

Wild idea, rift spawns an additional clump in the area most flat and clear, maybe 4x4 that's mycelium, and mobs can't enter/attack there? Allow horse grazing on mycelium on pve too

Rip this idea apart, I hate it

6 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Wild idea, rift spawns an additional clump in the area most flat and clear, maybe 4x4 that's mycelium, and mobs can't enter/attack there? Allow horse grazing on mycelium on pve too

Rip this idea apart, I hate it

I was thinking something similar as well but not sure what would make sense..

"Circle of Protection" is a magical thingy in many games. Maybe make it something you can do with karma that lasts x amount of time and only works for certain things/situations to avoid abuse?

I like the idea of a special area that rift mobs can’t cross. I think it specifically needs to be associated with rifts though rather then a spell or karma effect (although it would give us more reasons to use karma). 

However, new additions to the game can take a lot of time and effort. Therefore, I was more trying to come up with an idea we could do as a community to limit the amount of these random pens that are everywhere. Something more like a community effort. Like someone before said, our maps are ugly anyways with all these old deeds or abandoned deed projects everywhere. 

Any thoughts about as a community doing away with these safety pens or safety houses all together? Rift mobs do run out of the rift area a bit but not by much so if you park the alts away enough they should be fine.

The mechanic for the spell already exists just have to bump it up and make more useful for rifts.

Ward - Wurmpedia

just use that as a base for a 'rift ward' spell,

Edited by Bachus
  • Like 1

Feel like this might be a good place to post a suggestion I made a while back:

• Like 1

+1 for new fence type that can't go above certain QL, like 5 or so

Hedges with a wild growth make for good rift pens (then you just have a gate to bash)

• Like 2

Hedges are a good idea. And Tor I like the idea of like a rift gate specifically for rifts. Acts the same way regular fences do with the same or slightly different building materials. But it comes down in one 30 second bashing action. I think that the community and devs alike have a lot of great discussion here and hopefully we will see a change in the near future.