Sign in to follow this  
Bloodreina

Setting a deed in a somewhat active neighborhood

Hey everyone,

During my quest to find a nice area to settle on SFI I found a really nice place that would hit almost all my checkboxes, but it is not really in a remote area, but in a somehow active neighborhood (to be honest I don't know how active it is since I didn't saw any planted crops, pile of items or online people, but there are definitely deeds set up around the area). The place itself was deeded at some point, but said deed is probably long gone because the place was already thoroughly raided (emptied chests and alike), so it's not like it just disbanded right nw.

Now I know that in terms of game mechanics and rules I'm totally entitled to just drop my stake and claim the desired plot. But my question is about etiquette. Can it be considered in anyway rude to set up without discussing with the other people already there first? Do you think they could be mad about it or something like that?

I ask because I'm in a somehow big dilemma... on one hand I wouldn't want to start on the wrong foot, but on the other hand I wouldn't like to wait too long and have some one else snag the place.

So... any thoughts?

• Like 1

Pm the owners / neighbours. 

If you get no reply in a week, then it's safe to say it's deedable. 

Edited by elentari

Realistically if you do get chances to check in with the locals its probably for the best. Its polite and it gives you both the chance to talk through any objections or compramises now before it creates friction. Also since you will be working with/around them regularly it gives you an opportunity to scout them out and decide if they are people you want to play the game with, after talking to them you might decide you wont get along with them anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't deed over a completed building unless you have permissions to it? If that is the case perhaps you could set yourself up to reserve the spot and deed later if it works out, but double check that actually works first.

As one of the locals, I say go for it.  Enjoy the new home - I just moved in a month ago or so and am just getting going.

• Like 1

The rules of the game don't require you to check with your potential future neighbors. Due to that, we are all used to deeds popping up in our vicinity - it's just part of the game. So, there is no legal issue here.

However, as it was pointed out here already, it may be a good idea to drop a PM to those who live around. If they are not active, they won't respond, so I wouldn't wait long for replies. But the active ones will respond and will probably appreciate a new neighbor saying hello. What's more, those who live in the area probably know it very well, so they may even offer you advice or show you around. Either way, it would be a great way to start on the right foot and get some friends in the area. It may go a long way to some good relations for years to come.

This is what I did when I put my deed down - I talked to all those around. And I never regretted it.

So, as far as the rules go - no need to check in. But I personally would ;) 

Best of luck in your new home!

• Like 1

I'm with the consensus thus far on this - while you're entirely within the rules to deed anything that's properly deedable, checking in with the future neighbors first goes a long way toward getting things off on the right foot.  And it gives you a chance to get a read on your potential future neighbors as well!  If they're just the wrong vibe for whatever reason, will that diminish the joy you feel in your own little spot?

I've returned to wurm after a long break to discover a surprise neighbor a few times - definitely can't blame them for picking a nice spot if I wasn't around for a few weeks or months to say hi and roll out the welcome wagon.

You've definitely seemed like the type of person that would make a good neighbor so I wouldn't worry too much - welcome back by the way!

On 2/13/2022 at 6:02 PM, Bloodreina said:

Also, since I decided to stop playing / take a break 'till the clusters will be merged (if ever), I will stop checking the forums too.

Doesn't matter if the area and the people looks active or not. Wurm has a way to seduce people back to dig dirt again.

If people deed the area based on the how active the area and the people are, that would be intangible. Because people have their own definition of active. People said they are active because they login once per month, others might disagree.

They actually made a more tangible etiquette on Finding a location page:

For towns, however, it is considered to be rude to build with 50 to 100 tiles of the town if you do not have the permission of said town. Doing so can cause conflict and even hostility from a large group of players. It is always best to seek permission, and if declined, do not worry, there are more places to settle.

Its understandable if the server just started, people rushed to land claim.
But now, the servers have started for a while, especially on the SFI. Some people stayed on that area for years, better to follow the etiquette.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 7:42 PM, Coach said:

Because people have their own definition of active.

Very true. I can be gone for a month or two and then back in the game. Wurm is a long term project for me, so I never consider myself not active, even when I am gone from the game for a bit.

On 10/9/2022 at 3:20 AM, Valdor said:

Very true. I can be gone for a month or two and then back in the game. Wurm is a long term project for me, so I never consider myself not active, even when I am gone from the game for a bit.

Aye, i've disappeared for months and then im back very active for months