Sign in to follow this  
MrCak

Updated Beverage Grinding

The last beverage guide is over 5 years old, if we can compile everything here about beverages I would be willing to write up a comprehensive guide.

Have we found better grinding methods than 45 bowls in an oven with .5 herbs and water?

Does anyone have tips and tricks? Any information the wiki is missing?

• Like 2

Personally I am filling green tea leaves in frying pans in ovens for 1-60. I've been told its around 2k leaves. I chose this method as I already had the stations set up for HFC. I am told by an ally green coffee beans in ovens with roasting pans is a bit better gains, and the beans are more useful later with high skill (making khavesi) vs. yellow tea leaves. I do wonder how significant those gains are considering the difficulty is 40 for frying leaves and 50 for roasting beans. 

Thank you for undertaking this, looking forward to hearing what others have to say :)

• Like 2

Cocoa one item drop in roasting pans. No measuring water.

Make paste with fruit press. Can benefit coc.

Cook paste into liquor.

Each cocoa gives 3 chances for skill. No measuring water etc. 

This would be my recommendation. With Daily harvest can do quickly.

• Like 3

I went up to 99 bev pretty easy by roasting coffee beans, 70 roasting dishes per oven, 1 green coffee bean in each

• Like 1

Does anyone else have some bits of information, alternate grinding methods, special uses, anything pertaining to beverages that is not already in the wiki?

I’ve been grinding up from mid 50s and have done a bit of each of yellow tea, coffee, and cocao.  At 97 as of last night. My insights are thus.  

Tea is the most oven efficient since you can get 192 frying pans in backpacks in the oven.  You do have to make that many frying pans though.  You can cook it into liquid tea but it takes a lot of teapots and measuring.  Recall it’s six leaves and fill the rest for no measuring tea making but you end up with lots of liquid tea.

Coffee is the best make money while you do it since you can grind them and make khavessi which sells very well even at mid levels.  You do have to make khavessi ibriks though and that can be time consuming.  15 ground coffee with water filling the rest avoids having to measure.  But you can do one ground coffee to .10 water for good skill gain.

Cacao is the best skill because you roast the beans and press them with a fruit press and then can cook the paste into liquor in a pottery bowl without measuring out any additional water and this is a 71 skill.  One tip on this is transfer paste into an fsb before putting into pottery bowls.  A single bean roasted will yield .18 paste but if you put it in an fsb it will count every .1 as an item when you remove them. So you need more pottery bowls than you have roasting pans doing cacao. I do the previous days paste cooking with the current days roasts. The fruit press part really gives no skill at higher levels. What I do is unload my cacao into inventory first and press them while I ctrl click on items in other ovens to unload them.  You can further cook cacao liquor into xacotl(prob misspelling) as a 91 skill recipe using a spice and some water but it’s tedious. On .10 weight spices you need .18 of liquor and .18 of water. On .05 spices you need .09 of each.  My read on that is that for the planter space you could just do extra coffee or cacao beans and get faster skill gain for the time.

I shovel clean the ovens while I am pan filling as well.  I’ll be ready to level leatherworking when the time comes!

make sure you x2 caffinate(check the bonus and drink more until it’s x2) sac a rare, use affinity food or drink and use sleep bonus and then light everything.  If you are running around 20 ovens worth of pans/bowls/etc you should get a healthy supply of rares to sac every day. I get 2-3 everyday.

On 10/10/2022 at 9:00 AM, MrCak said:

Does anyone else have some bits of information, alternate grinding methods, special uses, anything pertaining to beverages that is not already in the wiki?

There is little to nothing in the wiki for beverages or any cooking really. It's always been this way because the Dev's say they believe us having cooking information in the wiki spoils the 'thrill of exploration" really it's a complete lack of understanding in how the cooking system actually works from the top down and now that Shydow is no longer on the staff it's only going to get worse.

Simple Guide:

Beverages, 1-50 tea leaves, prepare 192 frying pans, each with one green tea leaf, backpacks in a oven/forge works wonders. make sure you prepare them right before you plan to cook them and do it outside the cooking oven/forge. load everything in at once, sleep/caffeine/affinity foods cook for about 5-10 minutes and then turn it all off again. Rinse and repeat.

50-100 tea leaves with the additional use of alcohol. Same method as above with addition of alcohol when cooking off the batch. When drinking alcohol you get added difficulty for the item being cooked based on the amount of 'drunk' you are as shown in the buff. You want the difficulty of whatever your using as a cooking ingredient to be about 10-20 difficult below your skill. So anything after 50, you'll want to increase the amount of drunk you are while your firing off your batch of ingredients.

As Eleraan suggested, Cocoa are boss at higher levels. (60+) Roast em, mash em, cook em in a pottery bowl. End result is useless but you do get 3 chances at skill.

Coffee beans are another option, roast em 70 roasting pans to an oven.

Sleep, caffeine, affinity food and alcohol all work with each method. Enjoy.

On 2/2/2023 at 10:57 AM, BombaySteve said:

I’ve been grinding up from mid 50s and have done a bit of each of yellow tea, coffee, and cocao.  At 97 as of last night. My insights are thus.  

Tea is the most oven efficient since you can get 192 frying pans in backpacks in the oven.  You do have to make that many frying pans though.  You can cook it into liquid tea but it takes a lot of teapots and measuring.  Recall it’s six leaves and fill the rest for no measuring tea making but you end up with lots of liquid tea.

Coffee is the best make money while you do it since you can grind them and make khavessi which sells very well even at mid levels.  You do have to make khavessi ibriks though and that can be time consuming.  15 ground coffee with water filling the rest avoids having to measure.  But you can do one ground coffee to .10 water for good skill gain.

Cacao is the best skill because you roast the beans and press them with a fruit press and then can cook the paste into liquor in a pottery bowl without measuring out any additional water and this is a 71 skill.  One tip on this is transfer paste into an fsb before putting into pottery bowls.  A single bean roasted will yield .18 paste but if you put it in an fsb it will count every .1 as an item when you remove them. So you need more pottery bowls than you have roasting pans doing cacao. I do the previous days paste cooking with the current days roasts. The fruit press part really gives no skill at higher levels. What I do is unload my cacao into inventory first and press them while I ctrl click on items in other ovens to unload them.  You can further cook cacao liquor into xacotl(prob misspelling) as a 91 skill recipe using a spice and some water but it’s tedious. On .10 weight spices you need .18 of liquor and .18 of water. On .05 spices you need .09 of each.  My read on that is that for the planter space you could just do extra coffee or cacao beans and get faster skill gain for the time.

I shovel clean the ovens while I am pan filling as well.  I’ll be ready to level leatherworking when the time comes!

make sure you x2 caffinate(check the bonus and drink more until it’s x2) sac a rare, use affinity food or drink and use sleep bonus and then light everything.  If you are running around 20 ovens worth of pans/bowls/etc you should get a healthy supply of rares to sac every day. I get 2-3 everyday.

The kahvesi method works as you don't need to measure water, but using 15 ground coffee in a coffee ibrik results in wasting 1kg of kahvesi for each ibrik, since an ibrik can only fit 2kg of liquids.

Bevs became ridiculously easy after the coffee introduction. It does not matter much whether you roast a lot, use cocoa variants, or tea, getting to 99+ within a week or two is no big deal. Ok nice for those who were abhorred by the ridiculously hard bevs grind before.

• Like 1

When it comes to pan loading never discount quantity over quality. The only important part is that you get at least 30 difficulty, so you tick size isn't reduced (difficulty capped at 30 is action time for cooking). Sure coca beans may be better skill gain at later levels, but in the time it takes to press those beans you could have harvested many tea leaves.

imo...fry green tea leaves 1 to 100.

Btw, caffeine gives less skill than plain old SB usage overall. If you have time to use your sleep bonus normally you always want to do so. Caffeine is only good when you generate more SB than you can use. Because sleeping a bed, doing mission, eating SP when you have full sleep bonus is even more wasteful. Simple math should make this clear.  1 hr on caffeine is 3x skill and 2hr SB used.  2 hr on SB (no caffeine) is a 4x skill  and 2 hrs SB used.