Sign in to follow this  
nicedreams

Smarter Combat - No target

Recommended Posts

If targeted by a mob and the mob does not have you targeted anymore you should un-target that mob.

 

Character should not be stuck in target/combat when ran 100+ tiles past the mob.  Should be smart enough to un-target old mob so can defend yourself if a new mob moves in to attack you later.

 

Or the classic issue of some mob targeted you and you continue running 500 tiles away and then a new mob runs in and you get the attack window, but you can't hit it because you still have mob from 500 tiles away targeted.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes! asked for this quite awhile ago. been killed a few times because of this nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree, the option to hover mouse over the target portriat and [X] to remove target is good enough. The range thing would annoy people shooting with bows, and also pvp stuffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The remove target, albeit a nice and relatively recent improvement, does not help you at all when you were targeted while losing sync in lag or being entirely disconnected, and find yourself killed by a rat when relogging.

 

As to archery, it would be sufficient to have the range in which you can target something (same as the distance in which a building description gets readable) which is already a lot, and far outside of any attack range. Automatic loss of target could be a few tiles more. This would already be a wide range.

 

I am not sure about an automatic switch of target to the most recent attacker in all other cases (not mentioned here but in some similar suggestions). This would be sort of auto being taunted. I hate that already when rift beasts do it :).

 

A possibility would be that target switches in all cases where for players "you are too far to attack <creature> now" would appear for the attacking mob. And if that is an issue, all for PvE only unless required otherwise.

Edited by Ekcin
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree there should be a point where your distance to a mob is so great that you automatically lose the target. As far as ranged goes I don't see it as an issue as the target drop off distance would clearly have to be greater than any ranged weapon anyway.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2022 at 1:00 AM, nicedreams said:

If targeted by a mob and the mob does not have you targeted anymore you should un-target that mob.

 

Character should not be stuck in target/combat when ran 100+ tiles past the mob.  Should be smart enough to un-target old mob so can defend yourself if a new mob moves in to attack you later.

 

Or the classic issue of some mob targeted you and you continue running 500 tiles away and then a new mob runs in and you get the attack window, but you can't hit it because you still have mob from 500 tiles away targeted.

 

event trigger to count 1-2-3 misses to land a hit or check distance from enemy, etc.. and clear target since it's pointless to have "cute" bear icon in there

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2022 at 7:25 AM, Llawnroc said:

I disagree, the option to hover mouse over the target portriat and [X] to remove target is good enough. The range thing would annoy people shooting with bows, and also pvp stuffs.

pvp is not an argument if it's pve matter

 

there's workaround to check if enemy's player or npc and to drop target or not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Finnn said:

pvp is not an argument if it's pve matter

 

there's workaround to check if enemy's player or npc and to drop target or not

Unbranded horses would be the edge case here but just make it a setting should be  the workaround for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lethyria said:

Unbranded horses would be the edge case here but just make it a setting should be  the workaround for this.

what do you mean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Finnn said:

what do you mean

In pvp maintaining a target on a horse can be important, and often it would be untamed and unbranded (not technically hostile)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 10/4/2022 at 11:25 PM, Llawnroc said:

I disagree, the option to hover mouse over the target portriat and [X] to remove target is good enough. The range thing would annoy people shooting with bows, and also pvp stuffs.

 

Max range for long bow is around 50 tiles. OP is suggesting 100 tiles, plus you have to be able to right click menu attack your target each time you fire (becomes impossible at some distance).

Edited by MordosKull
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I should have made an edit, but just make it to where if "you" target a mob, then it won't un-target later.  If you're running around and get targeted by a mob you didn't target yourself, then should be smart enough to stop targeting.  Pressing the X on the target portrait 30 times while running through a highway on horse full of mobs is not a good option.

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this