Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Buying Agent

Think of it as a merchant in reverse.

You buy a contract, set up a stall or building, and deploy them where you want them, choosing a gender and a name to suit their purpose.  But instead of giving them items to sell, and coming back later to collect coins and re-stock, you provide a list of items that you want them to buy. One mercantile Agent can be willing to buy a limited number of different items. Each "slot" in their inventory can be set up as follows:-

1. Item to buy. Start typing the name of the item into a text box. The game will use the same search facility that's in the crafting menu to find a matching item. Click to confirm the item name.
  2. Material. Depending on the item, you might have to select you are interested only in items made of a specific material (metal or wood type).
  3. Quality. Either leave blank, in which case the agent will buy at any quality, or enter a number, which will be the minimum quality that they will buy.
  4. Count. Enter the maximum number of items that you want the agent to buy. They will stop buying this item once they have reached your target. If left blank, there will be no limit and they will buy these items until they run out of money.
  5. Buy Price. Enter the price that the agent will pay for an item.

And that's the basics. Trading with your own Agent will give you the ability to exchange goods and coin, similarly to trading with your own merchant.

• Like 2

To be clear, this would only really work wirth bulk items, right? 

Like don't get me wrong, I love the idea of being able to place orders for others to fill, but I think at the end of the day, it needs to work with a server wide contract system rather than an NPC like that 

• Like 1

that was literally already suggested in the past few days

5 hours ago, Archaed said:

To be clear, this would only really work wirth bulk items, right? 

Like don't get me wrong, I love the idea of being able to place orders for others to fill, but I think at the end of the day, it needs to work with a server wide contract system rather than an NPC like that 

Soauction house, completely kill any kind of interaction for non-npc trading from that point?

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

Soauction house, completely kill any kind of interaction for non-npc trading from that point?

Yes, that's the idea and it would be a good thing.

3 hours ago, Finnn said:

well if you think that the current system of trying to find someone to trade with for days on end is working just fine so be it but truthfully some of us dont find this type of non npc trading to be a worthy use of our playtime. i actually prefer being able to put my goods up on my merchant and going about my daily tasks even though i very rarely get some coming by to actually look at or *gasp* actually purchase something i have available for sale. Furthermore i do not like the idea that i have to waste my time shucking my goods on the tedious tasks like posting on the forums for auctions or spamming trade channel with my adverts only to have some lazy butthead ask me to stop what i am doing to go to my merchant and list to them what i have available to sale. I DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME FOR THE MARKET ASPECT of it i play this game because i like to craft things especially things like stone masonry and carpnetry. I love to build structures i love to shape the land and i do love to craft items some of which i would like to be able to make money on. As it stands right now the marketability of items in this game is locked behind personal interactions with other players, tedious endless advertising schemes, and a broken system of  bare bones npc sales. and before we even get into the npc merchant marketplaces being available to go to. i have gone to these places and with some few exceptions most i have traveled to either have few functioning merchants left or only selling a select group of elite end enchanted goods and rarely what i am truely after. i do understand this is because of the typical demands of the most monied people in the game but still it wouldnt hurt to be able to find a good variety of goods  and not just the latest greatest skiller items or the shiniest elite goods on venders. so yes a server wide auction system would be nice even though i am sure it would be almost the same as the current marketplace setups with mainly the only thing to find is the aforementioned elite goods.

1 hour ago, kordethbludscythe said:

well if you think that the current system of trying to find someone to trade with for days on end is working just fine so be it but truthfully some of us dont find this type of non npc trading to be a worthy use of our playtime. i actually prefer being able to put my goods up on my merchant and going about my daily tasks even though i very rarely get some coming by to actually look at or *gasp* actually purchase something i have available for sale. Furthermore i do not like the idea that i have to waste my time shucking my goods on the tedious tasks like posting on the forums for auctions or spamming trade channel with my adverts only to have some lazy butthead ask me to stop what i am doing to go to my merchant and list to them what i have available to sale. I DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME FOR THE MARKET ASPECT of it i play this game because i like to craft things especially things like stone masonry and carpnetry. I love to build structures i love to shape the land and i do love to craft items some of which i would like to be able to make money on. As it stands right now the marketability of items in this game is locked behind personal interactions with other players, tedious endless advertising schemes, and a broken system of  bare bones npc sales. and before we even get into the npc merchant marketplaces being available to go to. i have gone to these places and with some few exceptions most i have traveled to either have few functioning merchants left or only selling a select group of elite end enchanted goods and rarely what i am truely after. i do understand this is because of the typical demands of the most monied people in the game but still it wouldnt hurt to be able to find a good variety of goods  and not just the latest greatest skiller items or the shiniest elite goods on venders. so yes a server wide auction system would be nice even though i am sure it would be almost the same as the current marketplace setups with mainly the only thing to find is the aforementioned elite goods.

little backstory.. normally the word "auction" is what people around poke with pitchforks and light up in flames

I was one of first people to ask for 'trade' chat tab years ago, just fyi

also idea is partial of another recent one, expanded beyond the small fragment this one seems to be, thought cluster-wide implementation will directly kill the need to visit any market for other than RP