Sign in to follow this  
Eleraan

Map drop rates changed?

Since maps came out I've gotten a fairly stable amount every week of ~10 per week adjusted for changes in playing. Mostly mining keeping my action time between 2.9 and 3.1s. Normally mining 40k plus in ore and shards. This is where most of my maps come from.

3 weeks ago I only got 3. Considered it bad luck. From the 19th thru the 26th I got 0. With over 20 moi, which was low in itself. Last week after server reset I finally got one. It was the only one I got all week. 

I know rng is rng. But after months of similar results there was a sudden drastic and seeming ongoing change.

Anyone else seeing similar shift

• Like 3

Hard to say because i have got only 1 map, but i must say this: Past 6 days i have gotten 12 rare rolls while farming and nothing. Absolutely nothing. 

Like all updates they probably had it turned way up at first then overcompensated when they turned it back down.

Not getting any maps even after 20 MOIs is unlucky, but not impossible. Quoting this reply to a similar topic:

The probability of getting at least one map after x rare roll MOIs is (1 - 0.2)^x = 0.8^x. Hence, the probability of not getting a map after 10 rare rolls is ~11%; after 20, it's 1.1%. This is very unlucky, but 1 in 100 players will get this unlucky - you're just one of the really unlucky ones, unfortunately.

Thinking about it, this isn't exactly true. 1 in 12 rare rolls will be supreme, and supreme rolls always give a map. After 20 rolls you won't necessarily have had a supreme roll yet, but one of those should happen eventually and will certainly give you a map.

However, maths aside... as in the quoted reply, I don't think having treasure maps so strongly tied to RNG is very nice. Personally, I've gotten very lucky with treasure maps while grinding my priest to 70 prayer - getting around 14 maps in the last two months (!!!) and in only around 30-40 MOIs. But I don't think that's at all fair (even though I've benefited from it personally.) There should be some system that guarantees players get a map eventually, after a certain number of actions. The bad luck you've had is just frustrating, plain and simple.

Last 4 days I did a lot of surfacemining 9am to 10pm-ish on my Mag Priest, got 7-8 Maps.

(7-8 because one was gotten on my main while I assisted the surfacemining effort with it)

Had also MOIs where it was just a rare stone shard or nothing ofc.

To me it seems fine...

https://imgur.com/iLzfXzT

Did a bunch over the weekend, but I basically get more than I have time to do. 😕

6 hours ago, Bachus said:

Like all updates they probably had it turned way up at first then overcompensated when they turned it back down.

That is my guess too but I hate stealth changes.

4 hours ago, Docterchese said:

Not getting any maps even after 20 MOIs is unlucky, but not impossible. Quoting this reply to a similar topic:

The probability of getting at least one map after x rare roll MOIs is (1 - 0.2)^x = 0.8^x. Hence, the probability of not getting a map after 10 rare rolls is ~11%; after 20, it's 1.1%. This is very unlucky, but 1 in 100 players will get this unlucky - you're just one of the really unlucky ones, unfortunately.

Thinking about it, this isn't exactly true. 1 in 12 rare rolls will be supreme, and supreme rolls always give a map. After 20 rolls you won't necessarily have had a supreme roll yet, but one of those should happen eventually and will certainly give you a map.

However, maths aside... as in the quoted reply, I don't think having treasure maps so strongly tied to RNG is very nice. Personally, I've gotten very lucky with treasure maps while grinding my priest to 70 prayer - getting around 14 maps in the last two months (!!!) and in only around 30-40 MOIs. But I don't think that's at all fair (even though I've benefited from it personally.) There should be some system that guarantees players get a map eventually, after a certain number of actions. The bad luck you've had is just frustrating, plain and simple.

I would accept that it was bad luck the first 20 moi over a week. But my map gains were pretty stable then suddenly dropped. 

After the third week of similar results I'm more inclined to believe something changed. That's why I didn't do more than start shifting thru logs the first time. This is more a pattern than just rng at thus point. Atleast it seems to be to me. I'm still logging, stacking up moi after moi. I've not had a map in a week. Mined out 10s of thousands using the same set up for moi as before. 

4 hours ago, Milkdrop said:

Last 4 days I did a lot of surfacemining 9am to 10pm-ish on my Mag Priest, got 7-8 Maps.

(7-8 because one was gotten on my main while I assisted the surfacemining effort with it)

Had also MOIs where it was just a rare stone shard or nothing ofc.

To me it seems fine...

https://imgur.com/iLzfXzT

Did a bunch over the weekend, but I basically get more than I have time to do. 😕

That is inline with what I was getting three weeks ago. What server? Talking on Indy some of the others haven't seen maps in weeks either. Maybe Indy is broken again. 

dropped ~20 maps.. 19 or 22*.. whatever it is.. all were low ql.. at best 58ql, none of the ones I got were supreme.. all rare.. alt got 2 or 3 maps.. and 1 was supreme

*we're talking about 80-100k/+ actions from digging/farming/harvesting/mining

all in all havent given....... to farm more or do them, 10-11 maps just chill as trash pile, all low ql, no variety, high ql being mirage, rarity tiers being cosmetic..

I got discouraged from doing any maps personally

9 minutes ago, Eleraan said:

That is inline with what I was getting three weeks ago. What server? Talking on Indy some of the others haven't seen maps in weeks either. Maybe Indy is broken again. 

I am on Xanadu, got another map earlier. ^^;

So that makes 9 in 5 days just to surfacemining so far, but as other people have stated it's just a case of RNG.

We would need a lot more data than the few tidbits we gathered here to actually paint a picture.

Definitely need more data which is why I am here. Others on Indy have noticed a sharp, ie no maps in weeks for some others who normally get plenty, decline in recent weeks.  If other servers haven't seen a decline I'm wondering if Indy is having map issues. We've had three separate times that maps have broken for Indy alone totalling 3 weeks. Gah hopefully it isn't another bug. 

I'll have to pull my logs for the last three months for more precise data tonight.  

Been a dry spell for me as well. No luck praying or farming. I did get 3 from mining / foraging this month but all crap quality. No difficult maps.

I've been thinking that it was turned down but really have no basis for it other than my particularly bad luck. 0 maps from a couple dozen rolls. Very disappointing.

it was just window of opportunity in first couple of weeks, as usual, Obviously map drop rate and nice loot chances been nerfed

21 hours ago, Darklords said:

We have not changed the drop rates of them at all since launch.

Was it looked into at all or did you guys just figure people are complaining for no reason and it wasn't worth your time?

Legitimately asking, because half the time feedback from devs and GMs on the forums is so terse it's hard to make sense of.

I'm waiting to log my October data. Maps have started dropping for me again at the previous rates after the last server update. 

Really think there was a bug for several weeks as the last few weeks of September they basically stopped then started again. 

The stop happened after a server reset and fixed after one. 

Indy and maps have been super buggy so might have been that. Could even have been caused by tweaks pushed to fix other issues. We will probably never know. 

But for now I'm getting some atleast. Just taking using more tools trying for them. 

Or I and all the others could just be crazy.

BTW in july my miner got 84 moi and 35 caskets. By far the highest number. Compared to other months. I need to finish setting up to log actual mine actions etc tho.

21 hours ago, Darklords said:

We have not changed the drop rates of them at all since launch.

Ummm.....

I've not recorded every map since start, but..... I stopped getting them as often as I did the first few days after it launched.

I looked and just double checked again, there has been no change to the way it rolls them off since release. The only change to that area was removing a test server only check that made them spawn crazy often as they got a bit to much item spam spawning every other action testing other things but that was behind a test server flag so it would have no effect on the live servers.

• Like 3