Sign in to follow this  
Fairyshine

Enchanted grass not so magical any more?

The last week or so I found a very large amount of enchanted tiles turning back to normal grass or even getting packed.  Has there been a recent change to make this happen?  Has anyone else found the same? Thanks

Heya, I didnt notoce anything like that (SFI, Independence). We're keeping our animals in small pens (like 2 tiles for the most), and theyre enchanted since few years, even if we keep 2-3-4 animals in one pen. So yeah, I have opposite feeling - its like immortal enchanted grass :D

• Like 1

walking over enchanted grass can turn it into packed-dirt, unsure if that includes dirt as well.. but could explain the grass.. as that eventually grows on dirt tiles

it's normal

• Like 2

I haven't heard of any changes. Well, there were changes to archeology and that can be done on enchanted tiles. 

Here is a quick rundown of mechanics from WU and WO hasn't changed this for a long time so it still should be valid.

1 in 20 chance for grazing animal to affect grass. Affected grass is stepped back a stage or converted to pack dirt if it's short. Generally, "freshly sown" crops are destroyed, and the tile turned to dirt. Other crops are eaten back a growth stage.

For enchanted grass there are additional chance checks to see if enchanted grass is destroyed. They are: 1 in 240, 1 in 120 and 1 in 80 for on-deed good ratio, on deed bad ratio, and off deed. If the chance succeeds, then the enchanted tile will get converted to either packed dirt or grass. Grass growth stage is frozen and hidden when it gets enchanted. Grass which was short when enchanted becomes packed dirt and longer grasses, when enchanted, will be a grass tile.

I don't know how often animals eat. 1 in 20 times 1 in 240 is 1 in 480 chance to lose the grass every time the animal eats. I just assume everyone has animal on deed with good ratio. Given that animals eat at least a few times a day and I've seen enchanted grass last for months if not years, it makes me side more with Erhid in that the grass isn't being destroyed as expect.

The answer here must be streaky weird computer (java's random classes in this case) RNG.

Lastly, If I had my way enchanted grass would never be destroyed unless a player chose to destroy it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

walking over enchanted grass can turn it into packed-dirt

This doesn't happen to enchanted grass.

Grass, lawn, reed, dirt and mycelium can all be packed from walking on a tile a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joedobo said:

I haven't heard of any changes. Well, there were changes to archeology and that can be done on enchanted tiles. 

Here is a quick rundown of mechanics from WU and WO hasn't changed this for a long time so it still should be valid.

1 in 20 chance for grazing animal to affect grass. Affected grass is stepped back a stage or converted to pack dirt if it's short. Generally, "freshly sown" crops are destroyed, and the tile turned to dirt. Other crops are eaten back a growth stage.

For enchanted grass there are additional chance checks to see if enchanted grass is destroyed. They are: 1 in 240, 1 in 120 and 1 in 80 for on-deed good ratio, on deed bad ratio, and off deed. If the chance succeeds, then the enchanted tile will get converted to either packed dirt or grass. Grass growth stage is frozen and hidden when it gets enchanted. Grass which was short when enchanted becomes packed dirt and longer grasses, when enchanted, will be a grass tile.

I don't know how often animals eat. 1 in 20 times 1 in 240 is 1 in 480 chance to lose the grass every time the animal eats. I just assume everyone has animal on deed with good ratio. Given that animals eat at least a few times a day and I've seen enchanted grass last for months if not years, it makes me side more with Erhid in that the grass isn't being destroyed as expect.

The answer here must be streaky weird computer (java's random classes in this case) RNG.

Lastly, If I had my way enchanted grass would never be destroyed unless a player chose to destroy it.

So essentially if you are in local and see the animals graze there is a bigger chance of the grass turning back to normal grass?  it was just really weird how animals hitched in a cart and standing on the enchanted tile for ages, now all of a sudden packed it on two different places on deed, and numerous other enchanted tiles turned to normal grass over the last week or two.  Are enchanted grass also seen as taking damage ticks or is it a completely different mechanism? Thanks for your help so far.

1 hour ago, joedobo said:

This doesn't happen to enchanted grass.

Grass, lawn, reed, dirt and mycelium can all be packed from walking on a tile a lot.

LOL

IT DOES

there was gm event with the gm maze on xana was it.. we stepped on that shiny grass until it was well flat and dirty, all you need is a lot of movement

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Finnn said:

LOL

IT DOES

there was gm event with the gm maze on xana was it.. we stepped on that shiny grass until it was well flat and dirty, all you need is a lot of movement

The packed tiles are under hitched animals.  Also, the explanation of the length of the grass at time of enchantment and what the outcome will be makes sense to me.  However, I heard if someone is in an animal's local they seem to eat more so I wondered if people in local had more impact on the enchanted tiles turning to normal grass or packed since animals eat more? Thanks

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

The last week or so I found a very large amount of enchanted tiles turning back to normal grass or even getting packed.  Has there been a recent change to make this happen?  Has anyone else found the same? Thanks

It has allwaåys been a chance for thaåt to happen, but its like 2 years or so we enchanted our pens and they are still enchanted.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

The packed tiles are under hitched animals.  Also, the explanation of the length of the grass at time of enchantment and what the outcome will be makes sense to me.  However, I heard if someone is in an animal's local they seem to eat more so I wondered if people in local had more impact on the enchanted tiles turning to normal grass or packed since animals eat more? Thanks

Theoretically, it depends how ticks are processed.  I would assume ticks are applied in a random global manner so players in local shouldn't have an impact.

It might be something to do with deed ratio?

• Like 1

Yes, enchanted grass can be packed, and yes it can revert back to regular grass.

Also from the Wiki: Enchanted grass has an unknown chance to revert to grass on deeds with a good ratio when an animal grazes on it. If the deed has a bad ratio (less than 15 tiles per animal), the enchanted grass tile then has a higher chance of reverting to grass when grazed upon. Off-deed, enchanted grass also has a chance to revert to grass when grazed upon.

It happens to all of us. Sometimes it's just bad RNG that hits a bit more at once.

• Like 1

I've not noticed any particular problems with enchanted grass, either on deed or off deed. However, this may because my tile to creature ratio is usually kept well above what's recommended. This leads me to wonder if there may be some sort of scaling involved, rather than a particular threshold. (Grazers are also often allowed to graze the crop tiles, in situations where most of them are past "growing.")

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Theoretically, it depends how ticks are processed.  I would assume ticks are applied in a random global manner so players in local shouldn't have an impact.

It might be something to do with deed ratio?

Given this and your horse dying from disease quickly, can you check how close to the deed ratio you are? Sounds like you might be on the cusp and creatures passing through your deed tip it over 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

Are enchanted grass also seen as taking damage ticks or is it a completely different mechanism? Thanks for your help so far.

no.  enchanted grass will only be destroyed by grazing. Regardless of what couple people say in this thread about movement.

12 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

However, I heard if someone is in an animal's local they seem to eat more so I wondered if people in local had more impact on the enchanted tiles turning to normal grass or packed since animals eat more? Thanks

I remember something about this too. Basically, if no-one is in local the animal code doesn't process the animal. Thus, it doesn't eat, and doesn't get penalized for not doing so either. Further, not eating means not destroying the tiles.

The only thing I can think of regarding the cart is that it potentially has multiple animals eating from the same tile. Although, I thought wurm changed the animal code so that animal eat from the tile they are on and not the tile where the cart resides. Because of this I usually try to park carts between two tiles, so the animals are on their own tile.

I'd say re-enchant the tiles and see if the trend continues. I'm guessing it's just a behavior of computer RNG. it tends to have streaks of unusual events.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Archaed said:

Given this and your horse dying from disease quickly, can you check how close to the deed ratio you are? Sounds like you might be on the cusp and creatures passing through your deed tip it over 

The tile per creature ratio of this deed is 23.29114. Optimal is 15.0 or more. This is a good figure.

So it is definitely not the deed ratio at all.

Might be a lack of maple trees nearby then 😛

On a more serious note though; it could just be very very bad rng.  If it were animals out of player sight getting treated differently, that would be much more obvious on larger servers like Xanadu where some spots have not seen a player in years.

I am usually having 1-3 packed tiles per month, sometimes none but rare and it's usually in the hell horses pens, idk if it's something to do with the animals type or not

Animal's traits  can have an effect, too.

(1) slow metabolism - will graze half as often, I believe

(2) stationary - won't move around to trample the tiles

(3) graceful eater - less chance to reduce the growth stage of the tile it grazes from

(4) constantly hungry - will graze more often than without this trait

So when comparing, best to be aware of the traits the animals have as well.