Sign in to follow this  
Arathok

New Server Map Idea

Hello! I am planning a new Server and wanted to present a rough Idea to you!

1. 2048 ² Size about half the size of the current map That way regions are not that much separated

2. 1x Skillgain 2x Timer Speed

3. online live map - ingame paper map
  4.  4 PVE Regions with their own foliage and ores

a.            - The Eastern Wilds - Domain of Fo:
Wilds with dense forests and large amounts of Moss, Grasslands, steppes and peat pits, The humidity allows for jungle-like forest growth. The land is fertile and creatures thrive. The generally good soil supports growth of herbs and flower bushes. Fo's spirit - The symbol of life yet to come - is prevalent in    the form of nuts.

Trees:             Oak, Chestnut, Walnut,
Bushes:           Hazelnut, Rose, Camilla
Resources:     Iron, Marble, Zinc, Peat

b.            - The Western Swamps of Dusk - Domain of Libila:
Murky ground with heavy marshes and tarpits. Steppes and deserts as the constantly poisonous waters allow for not much foliage overall which results in less dense but larger spread out forests with resistant tree types  . Libilas spirit, - the necessary death that follows life as shadow to light - is prevalent in the form of Myzelium which spreads and "corrupts" the lands. Making it easier for the magic life powers to dissolve.

Trees:             Pine,  Birch, Olive,
Bushes:           Thorn, Blueberry, Oleander,
Resources:     Iron, Slate, Lead, Tar

c.            - The Southern Shores of Wisdom - Domain of Vynora:
Salty sea air doesn't allow for dense tree population. The wet ground has marshy areas but is surprisingly arid but fertile on the main land. Foliage is specialized for Wet and nutritious but dry soils. Wet areas support the enrichment of the soil with clay. Vynoras spirit - wisdom and knowledge - come in form of flexible well adapted plants as well as medicinal herbs and silver.

Trees:             Willow, Linden, Apple, Cherry
Bushes:           Blue Grapes, Raspberry, Lavender
Resources:     Iron, Tin, Silver, Clay

d.            - The Northern Mountains of Want - Domain of Magranon:
The mountainous and cold northern regions do not allow for much foliage, so forests are dense but  small to defend against cold winds. The climate allows for large tundras and steppes but most of the land is just snowy soil. Magranons spirit which stands for self-improvement and inner fire is prevalent
in all things. The warmth of molten gold, berries for spirits and maple treas for mead! A Dwarven Paradise.

Trees:             Fir, Cedar, Maple
Bushes:           Lingon Berry, White Grapes,
Resources:     Iron, Copper, Gold, Snow

5.            1 Central PVP Region - With all Ores and Trees

The Melting Pot. While the deities are in constant fight for this domain, and balance resides - for the moment - nature gets to grow. The soil as the rock is rich and filled with power. All kinds of plants can grow in this area while all kinds of Ore can be found underground. The magically enriched rock even spouts forth Moon Metals like adamantium and glimmersteel. You will need to contest this area for your Kingdom. You will need to tower chain into it and it is always free for all. Taste your success. While you can.

6.            Ressources can be gained in 3 ways:

a.             Visit the other continent region and mine it in a non enforced region (or dont and face the guards)
b.            Trade with the other region
c.            
Use the alchemy system and craft metal essences to generate liquids that can spawn/convert veins (a lengthy but rewarding process)

7.            Kingdoms: You start in your Capital: you can build and enlarge your Capital or you can build Guard Towers and make your kingdom larger! Tower Chaining required to enlarge the Kingdom.

8.            Global Chat system so players in different Kingdoms can still chat with each other

Players from different kingdoms might be outlined in red but thats just wurms system. You can still trade and interact with these players. You can even fight together by teaming up prior the fight. Anything else can be modded                  in since yours truly has learned the arts now. (still takes a little while because single admin life is hard, so have mercy (and a bit patience <3).

9.            RP in local and village chats

10.         You can Protect your property and mining claims by placing guard towers on site!

11.         Slightly lower deeding cost than before to make long term settling possible (for players that tend to go on hiatus)

What do you think about this idea?

If you are interested in playing on such a server here is a poll where you can already influence which map we take! https://forms.gle/zgJbmjnViEZJb4WDA

keep on Wurmin' fellow builders!

• Like 2

We experimented with maps smaller than 2048 and found that once players deed, the mobs are all jammed into a tiny space between deeds. Also, hunting and resource management became a problem as players didn't feel that they had enough. It might have worked if we had restricted deed size to something small, but nobody wanted that.  I think it could have worked if we'd had maybe 4-6 players maximum...except then you run into trouble keeping the economy strong.

Edited by Batta
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Batta said:

We experimented with maps smaller than 2048 and found that once players deed, the mobs are all jammed into a tiny space between deeds. Also, hunting and resource management became a problem as players didn't feel that they had enough. It might have worked if we had restricted deed size to something small, but nobody wanted that.  I think it could have worked if we'd had maybe 4-6 players maximum...except then you run into trouble keeping the economy strong.

Thank you for that insight! Would you recommend making the map larger like 4096?

It depends how many regular players you have. We have about a dozen who play steadily, and find that 2048 works great, as long as we restrict deeding to one per person/Steam ID.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Batta said:

It depends how many regular players you have. We have about a dozen who play steadily, and find that 2048 works great, as long as we restrict deeding to one per person/Steam ID.

Okay cool, thank you again. Deeds are restricted the same way at my current map so i think it can work. There wasn't really much player to player interaction on the current map (4096) because distances even on highways are too long. And i dont really want to use portals for RP reasons. Maybe i will rewrite the highway portals a bit to cost money.

Hi Aarathok - I love this idea and will definitely sign up, as long as some of the basic QoL mods are going to be active. I agree the map shouldn't be TOO small but am not familiar with how that affects actually running a server. I just play on them :) Personally I like slow timers on servers and 1x 2x is fine by me. You may want to think about 2x 3x since the player base is small nowadays and it takes a certain limited type to enjoy 1x. I look forward to seeing this idea develop!

On 9/30/2022 at 9:36 PM, Kamiraa said:

Hi Aarathok - I love this idea and will definitely sign up, as long as some of the basic QoL mods are going to be active. I agree the map shouldn't be TOO small but am not familiar with how that affects actually running a server. I just play on them :) Personally I like slow timers on servers and 1x 2x is fine by me. You may want to think about 2x 3x since the player base is small nowadays and it takes a certain limited type to enjoy 1x. I look forward to seeing this idea develop!

Hello thank you for the feedback! The server is going to be heavily modded. among them also many QoL mods.

At the end of the form is also a discord link where you can put your ideas and mod suggestions.

Maybe we will decide about the timers in another google poll. I want the players to be as involved as possible so we can find a good middle grounds for everybody.

Like we spoke on discord, i'll add some RP elements, because over time the game is still wurm with no new things and ppl will bore af in the first month, while  RP forces some different interactions and makes funny thingies happens in game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rauros said:

Like we spoke on discord, i'll add some RP elements, because over time the game is still wurm with no new things and ppl will bore af in the first month, while  RP forces some different interactions and makes funny thingies happens in game.

Very true. And agreed i fell in love with RP when I also experienced the magic it can have. Especially when combined with kingdoms and a contended area. Kingdoms can form allies, intrigues, name highways or lands. RP enables players to create a history, and that's the magic.

• Like 1

In case if central lands are PvP, i see an issue that, only Mag, and Vyn Kingdoms has access to gold/silver, so they will already have some priests with good channeling, when Libila and Fo will need more time to discover gold/silver for statuettes 

would love to play there ;) 

Edited by Gofs

1 hour ago, Gofs said:

In case if central lands are PvP, i see an issue that, only Mag, and Vyn Kingdoms has access to gold/silver, so they will already have some priests with good channeling, when Libila and Fo will need more time to discover gold/silver for statuettes 

would love to play there ;) 

That is true, but on the other hand, gold region has no clay nor peat, and it cant form alloys like brass or bronze for compasses or protractors or deco.

The map is a blank slate. You can always visit the other regions and get your few lumps of silver gold with a row boat if you don't want to trade. Since tower chaining is required, the kingdoms will have to claim land And thus mining properties.
The central area is not pvp enforced, you just have to tower chain into it for a deed plus contesting for land is allowed there. So in the early game you should be save there too.
In the map below you can see one can always route around the central pvp area. (The map was not decided on at the time of my first idea posted above)

Spoiler

unknown.png

Edited by Arathok