Sign in to follow this  
gorgian

player in game creation of quests/missions

It's too bad there isn't away us players can create in game quests/missions for other players. It could be as simple as a gathering quest, a delivery mission, make me x bricks, kill x mob with in local of the deed, or what have you. 

This idea would give players the option to setup quest/missions at their deed for others to do with out needing to resort to the forums all the time. Making the game feel more immersive. 

• Like 10

Isn't this just trade chat? I'm confused regarding it. Can you explain what benefit it would have for a) the person creating the quest and b) the person doing it? 

no, could require some new item like quest-tracker... and have server-side event logger for x wolf kills and such... but then to prevent trolling etc... quest giver should "mail" the item or reward or trade it directly to trader or other new npc... while it creates the "quest" or task that needs to be done..

could probably easily track: 

creature kills

- any or specific type; in specific or any part of a server(based on player location and where the event is happening; same thing we can check as players with dioptra...)

gathering quests

- picked flowers in same in specific or any part of a server

- gathered items of all sorts.. with or w/o specific location

- mining/digging/etc..

adventure?

- travel x tiles/meters/km/etc.. or put x tile/meter distance from the quest giver place, similar to treasure chests.. pick random location on the map to reach then return for reward.. as in challenge to mostly spend time out there.. and maybe find something along the way.. death.. adventure, fs, rip'd deed, etc.. you name it.. it's a walk this/that path kind of thing... *shrugs*

- fishing.... lovely quest where you put somebody through pain.. for a gain; probably best one to abuse and troll people to go out there and fish............. *sigh* *shivers* 

and other things... we already have the technology, it's here.. journal system kind of asks of players to do most of the listed things... and other could be reused.. idea only needs secure way for quest giver to deposit the reward and to prevent this from being a "0-decay" bank feature like merchants 

So far I can't see this as more than philanthropist content or having village/alliance kind of rush quests or at events like slayings to pop a quest board and let only 1 person to pick 1 quest or many.. to pick the same and only first 1 or few to be rewarded

i like the idea cause it would encourage people to socialize more i think, imagine a mayor of a deed that has multiple people as residents putting up mission tasks for both deed maintenance like forestry or farming/mining,etc. or crafters putting up resource gathering quests that anyone and take from the quest board. in addition the same goes for alliance leaders posting alliance task missions for anyone in the alliance to come along and help with with the rewards being split between the contributing individuals. This could also pave the way to changes to the current Unique system where the game could generate an Epic quest when one spawns which could lead to some crazy pickup groups to find and slay said unique, yeah i know a pipedream but still it is worth a think about.  Imagine a new player that comes to the game as it is now, yeah i know nnot too hard to imagine, this type of mission system could be the clincher to retainment of said new player. rewards for these missions would be up to the reward giver but could be an item of note like a magic tool or could be coins (most likely) and i agree that the rewards should be held by some componant of the system so people couldnt back out of paying them after the quest is done, a new npc would work for that.

i would have loved something like this when i first joined the game cause i was totally lost and the only thing that kept me here was that i could build stuff that changed the world around me.

• Like 1

Yes please! Player economy + player questing sounds like a great game to me!

future of wurm exploration... "village boards" with tasks(quests) to do.. and some sort of reward to make you visit different places

• Like 2

This (for the most part) already exists, what is the need to add this when it can exist as a player based transaction? 

11 minutes ago, Archaed said:

This (for the most part) already exists, what is the need to add this when it can exist as a player based transaction?

Yes, you already said that...

Trade offers an avenue to exchange goods or services. Missions would dictate exactly how those goods or services are procured and wouldn't even necessarily involve an exchange of anything from one player to another. There's a difference.

You always trolling everyone's suggestions..

Edited by MordosKull

And I've still not received a reply, thus my reiteration of the question. 

I'm not just talking about trade chat, People have done these in the past:

I'm asking what needs to be done to allow for these that isn't already possible by player to player interaction? 

The ability to automate tracking/rewards when the quest giver needs to sleep/engage with the world outside?

requested feature do not exist right now, atm trading is face to face or random communication through different channel; mailing items with cod or not; wagoner deliveries; 

idea here is to get an npc or a board.. doesn't have to be human npc.. could be any kind of creature or a ROCK.. not The Rock.. anything to interact and pop a dialog screen of some sort and list available tasks.. if there are any.. and there to be possibility to create player made quests/tasks/ for reward(or trading/player hosting events/etc)

the-rock-rock.gif

If the merchant sells you things.. this feature could be used to buy something

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 2:22 AM, Archaed said:

Isn't this just trade chat? I'm confused regarding it. Can you explain what benefit it would have for a) the person creating the quest and b) the person doing it? 

Fin explained it better then I could.

if I log on now I cannot see what was traded or bought before I logged on. Thus trade chat doesn’t do it all. With a npc/board. Anyone can use it at any time till competed. If done right there will be a trade log like what we have for Waggoner. 

Remember,  this is a sandbox. If you build it. They will us it.

Edited by gorgian

But my point to that is also how do you claim something, and can someone just take the "quest" and then block others from using it? Or can more than one person take it and then be 99% complete before someone else fills it? 

It already exists in a player to player based capacity, adding in code support for it takes away that and instead becomes something that either is the meta, or never used. 

who cares if somebody does that, there could be timeout.. fill the "order" in 1h or 5days.. then reset the quest for another IF it's for only one person to do;

as mentioned.. could be done for first of several slots, etc.. options.. variety for scenarios..

Or just do a player to player transaction without requiring a whole system to be built around it? 

I personally see this as being great for pairing up those who need or want some work done with those who are looking for work, for jobs that aren't especially complex and can be described and quantified easily.  It will make it easier for "need/create/gather X items" but not "need help mining veins in tunnel project", for example.

Trade chat meets this need only when Player A is online and watching for Player B's announcement of work needed, and is interested at that moment to do it.  Generally spamming it a few times might be enough to get it to happen, I suppose.  Anyone suggesting that the forums are sufficient should hearken back to the many, many times people bemoan the fact that very few read the forums.

Players looking for things to do could go to their village's noticeboard to see who needs things done.  Then they pick one, as you should only be able to pick one at a time, and start working on it.  On the noticeboard, the task is marked as accepted, shows a time limit for completion, and displays percent completed as the task objectives are being completed.  The task creator alone is told who has accepted the task and has a very limited period of time to reject tasks from that person.  Abuse on either end will settle themselves out over time.

Details to still be determined about delivery, but let's assume the task is 1000 bricks.  Contact your local wagoner, who understands what the task system is all about, and tell him you would like to deliver the items for your chosen task.  The task is marked as "in delivery", and when the wagoner feels like it, it gets delivered to the recipient and marked "delivered".

Something delivered via mail would also fit right into the task system, as the mail imps would also understand what's going on.

Payment is then managed (by the task system), whether via mail or via wagoner.

It won't answer every need.  But it'll streamline a nice fat chunk of them.

• Like 2

+1

I've been using the in-games systems to make player made Quests for years.

Hiding items of some worth in deep dark caves and writing a creative set of clues.

Mine are mainly aimed at newer player, so it's disheartening when high lvl players gobble them up.

My best solution is to make a lockable container, make copies of the key and share with friends as a fetch quest.

The giving nature of players when promoting Wurm still amazes me :D , someone donated a OP sword for one of my quests years ago.

You still need to get creative about the when's, why's, who's and where's otherwise it's just a code generated fetch quest.

And if you were totally evil, you could put keys in chests with a parchment clue to find the next chest ... oh wait ;)

Seems to me that what you asked is partially possible with village message board
BUT
this requires to go and pass in front of that board to see the classified adds
so, what you ask, isnt'it like classified add in a newspaper ?
annouce send to "newspaper office" and then would be automatically dispatched to a kind of newspaper store (any existing merchant ?) where anyone could come and buy a newspaper for a very very low cost (1i) ?

Edited by TimHaus

On 10/3/2022 at 1:30 AM, Archaed said:

Because it's fun and that's the only reason we really need for this to be implemented. Why? Jeez.

Wurm mission generator is just a stale database of the same types of missions, it's boring, asocial and doesn't really promote any cooperation. 

Players actually giving player crafted missions to others encourage socializing, maybe a bit of player competition if a quest is really fun and actually creates UNIQUE content vs the same repeated old missions to sac x items, kill x mobs, do Y ritual, etc.

The mission system quickly gets boring and mission difficulty is all over the place.

I would very much rather do a quest like "Build a lighthouse in this spot" than "Magranon wants you to sacrifice 57 large clay amphoras".

Wurmians flock every time there's some actual unique content in the game, like impalongs, treasure hunts for new years' eve, riddles made by the devs, etc.

It breaks the awful monotony that is 99% of the grind of wurm (missions fall into this sadly) and it adds something new , which Wurm really needs to stay relevant for a player's attention span and motivation to keep playing.

Asking "why?" might as well just ask "why does wurm need new content?" .

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TimHaus said:

Seems to me that what you asked is partially possible with village message board
BUT
this requires to go and pass in front of that board to see the classified adds
so, what you ask, isnt'it like classified add in a newspaper ?
annouce send to "newspaper office" and then would be automatically dispatched to a kind of newspaper store (any existing merchant ?) where anyone could come and buy a newspaper for a very very low cost (1i) ?

ew no.. why...

medieval newspapers?

just imagine having to handle one more actual item instead of having "quest" like treasure maps right now... what do you plan to do with the newspaper, where do you pick it, who makes it, what's the order, ....... do you grasp the issues that creates

the game does not need more micromanagement (extra pointless items)

if you want a paper with x amount of tasks performed from a place.. sure... now you can hang maps on walls.. just ask for same feature and some sort of recognition, it's 1 more item but you wont or arent supposed to manage 100s of these