Sign in to follow this  
Humpf

Healing towers

Healing stations  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Does it make sense to have healing stations?

• Yes
    • Yes, but... (add comment, please)
    • No (provide feedback, please)

Hello fellow Wurmians,

Was preparing a small 3x3 cotton farm near my deed, to be used by any passing travelers, and came up with the idea of spreading such mini-farms around the map next to towers. But, as i was told in global, the farms may turn into weeds if not maintained which would render them useless on the long run. Also, not many run around with a rake.

So, it was suggested to enchant a tile next to towers. Although, not portable as cotton is, it would help travelers to have a quick healing stop.

On the same topic, it was suggested to add a sign to help identify the spot with the text "Healing grass. Stand here to wait".

Would like to request opinions regarding the sustainability and if it would be a nice addition to the towers? And, if so, request the help on making this a feature to be added to new and existing towers.

Sample Image

I'd add it as a functionality of guard towers to attach a "healing station" to it. The station can use healing / first aid skill to be created and can be improved using those skills. It can heal in ticks that are faster based on ql. 

• Like 1

They are called safe houses, locked with permissions for all freedomers, with an unlocked bsb with cotton and occasionally a fsb with foragables and garlic for salve.

Fenced in area with enchanted grass is sometimes added for animals and healing

Edited by MrCak
  • Like 1

easier to leave a crate with stuff like cotton/garlic/animal fat for bandaging and farmers salve(even though almost nobody ever needs farmers salve), same with healing covers.. besides really new players.. 

normally new starting players get tipped or handed LT weapon.. since healing and waiting 10+ minutes and praying to heal is unpleasant to deal with..

I'd not worry about it... at best you could leave a safe house with 4 doors or at least 2 exits.. so totally new player could use side exit to have a chance to outrun any creature waiting for it outside the shed, having such tile on water source and a well or fountain will be a bonus, full thirst bar and half filled hunger bar will let the player to regain stamina and manage distances and actions better.

Maybe just turn your idea into.. deity blessed statue new or existing statue.. with a bless of some priest.. to be possible to be used as small buff to player healing tick delays, maybe take a few prayers at the statue or be a chance for the buff.. etc.. etc.. etc.. depends what you're after..

whatever you want to maintain... will always require you and others to maintain it, having easier way for players to deal with healing will help them directly... as long they have a clue about it and it's accessible within reasonable time and effort for the results, etc.. blah blah :)

Folks do occasionally build shelters and rest stops, sometimes next to guard towers. Most appreciate them, though a small minority object to them as "clutter."

They're often created by folks seeking to fulfill one of the journal entries requiring the creation of twenty buildings.

There's one not too far from where I live which is named "Troll Shelter," though perhaps a sign ought to be posted indicating that it's intended as a shelter from trolls, not for trolls. 😆

Word of warning from the wiki about building fences close to guard towers: 

• Do not build fences on the tile borders of the center tile of a guard tower. Although the fence may be built, it will eventually be destroyed. House walls will withstand a tower's influence, however.
Edited by Avaxas

Haven't seem any of the "safe houses"/"shelter" so far. But, haven't traveled much to be fair.

That's why I brought this, the idea is to provide an extra help for lower skill players, and when the cotton is no where to be found.

It's not much extra work, considering the work a guard tower requires, but may be a life saver. Was just trying to spread the word, since I'm doing it to the tower next to me and with time to the ones around me.

6 minutes ago, Humpf said:

Haven't seem any of the "safe houses"/"shelter" so far. But, haven't traveled much to be fair.

That's why I brought this, the idea is to provide an extra help for lower skill players, and when the cotton is no where to be found.

It's not much extra work, considering the work a guard tower requires, but may be a life saver. Was just trying to spread the word, since I'm doing it to the tower next to me and with time to the ones around me.

There used to be regular safe houses at intervals on most servers but over the years the players that built them have either move on or just don’t maintain them.  I think the player base mentality has changed over the years as I don’t see as many public works projects like this anymore.

• Like 1

So, in the past, I used to maintain a small "wayshrine" near my home on Release with wrapped cotton and covers stored in a chest in a hedged area.

Wrapping was removed though, and after that point I used to just keep an enchanted grass tile in the wayshrine (heals medium wounds, or even some bad ones if you follow fo).

Enchanted grass decay was added, so I started just keeping a hedged area for the wayshrine.

Suddenly, with animal changes, my 30 min round trip to repair the gates on these hedged areas became a 1 hour round trip.  These days, I see so few people in local, I don't really bother making the 1 hour round trip to repair the gates.

I wouldn't say player attitudes have changed, I'd say it's a combination of mechanical tweaks that have made creating and maintaining safe spots harder, and changes to the overall "feel" of the game (my data pointed to it "feeling" emptier).

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 11:27 AM, Nomadikhan said:

I think the player base mentality has changed over the years as I don’t see as many public works projects like this anymore.

I think it depends on where you are. Some areas are populated by players who're very friendly and helpful towards anyone who isn't actively going out of their way to make a nuisance of themselves. (Sometimes people asking for help are even a welcome diversion from the daily routine.) Others seem to be populated by folks who're quite rude or even hostile toward anyone unfamiliar to them. ("Get off my lawn!") One can run across anything between these two extremes, and sometimes it just depends on who in particular is around at the time you're passing by.

There're even certain people who're quite derisive toward anyone creating or maintaining public works. I usually just figure they're imagining some ulterior motive, or reacting in some sort of knee jerk way to motivations they can't personally identify with.

Edited by Avaxas