Sign in to follow this  
Kementari

Visitor Friendly Deeds - PVE

I have had many discussions about permissions with old and new players. A lot of people don't ever look at what permissions are enabled for visitors and there are some that really wont effect your deed if you enable them.
I have my deed set up to be a "Visitor Friendly" deed and thought I would share what perms I have set for visitors on my deed.

Please be aware this is for PVE, 😇 its a whole other story on the PVP servers. :ph34r:😼

Also be aware that not everyone has the best intentions at heart. All of these are just suggestions and you are at risk (with some of these perms) of having players being spiteful just for the sake of it.

Firstly lets talk about how and where you can find these perms. (information taken from Wurmpedia)

To enter the management screen for one of the many permissions systems of Wurm Online right-click on any of the following and open the manage sub-menu.

• the body group header in the inventory or
  • the body icon on the character window.
  • the inventory header or
  • any user-made group header

Under Settlement there is a section called Manage Roles, this is where you will find the role for visitors. Once there you can select whichever permission you want anyone that visits your deed able to do.

These are some permissions you can set for the visitor role that wont really effect your deed in a harmful way.

Animals

• Groom - I have this enabled, unless you are grinding Animal Husbandry there really isn't a reason that people can not groom your animals for you.
  • Milk/Shear - I rarely milk or shear my sheep/cows/bison anymore so why not let other people get some free milk and wool.

Digging

• Cultivate - This can be helpful for those people that take long breaks away from game and any visitor can fix your tiles that animals have packed. Be careful here though cause you could end up with some people cultivating areas you don't want done.
  • Dig Clay/Tar/Peat/Moss - The only thing that can be bad about this is if someone digs a load of the resource in the one spot and then ends up making a dent in your Clay/Tar/Peat/Moss tiles. Easily fixed though with some dirt or sand to raise it back up again.

Farming

• Tend Fields - again unless you are grinding the skill (farming) I cant see a reason to not have this enabled

Forestry/Gardening

• Harvest Fruit - I have a lot of Maple Trees and Lavender on deed and don't harvest them any more so I have this set to enabled. If you have trees/bushes that you regularly harvest for produce I do not recommend having this enabled.
  • Pick Sprouts - Honestly apart from Oak trees and maybe Willows, trees and shrubs sprout quite often and frequently. Picking sprouts also sets the age of the tree/shrub back one stage, so it will help them from becoming over aged or shriveled. Also this enables the ability for people to pick flowers on deed. If you have a large Oak forest that you are harvesting sprouts from maybe don't have this one set to enabled.
  • Plant Flowers - This permission ties in well with the cultivate and pick sprouts perms. Not only will visitors be able to unpack your tiles but they will also be able to replant grass by picking some flowers and replanting them for you.

General

• Attack Non Citizens -  Ever been attacked by something on deed and a passerby rushes to help you and then cant do anything? Well this is the reason why. Be careful if you keep aggressive creatures on deed, you don't want your Champion Scorpion or your hell horses being killed accidentally.
  • Cast Deity Spells -  There may be some offensive deity spells that could harm your unbranded or unprotected animals.
  • Cast Sorcery Spells - There are some offensive sorcery spells that can harm you or your animals.
  • Forage/Botanize/Investigate -  Once again unless you are grinding the skill I cant see a reason for this to not be enabled.
  • Use Meditation Abilities - Be aware this enables people to cast Erupt, Freeze, and Enchant, so you may or may not want people to do these things on your deed. But who doesn't love some enchanted grass 😉

Item Management

• Drop - This is a great one to have to allow people to leave you items. Unless you have a bad relationship with your neighbors (or anyone for that matter) you don't want someone coming along and dropping huge piles of junk all over your deed. lol
  • Improve/Repair - Unless you are grinding repair and have stacks of damaged items you don't want repaired.
  • UnLoad -  I have this enabled so if anyone is bringing me over something they can just unload it and go. Please note this is for the DEED unload permission not the BUILDING (Un)Load permission.

Some other visitor friendly things you can do:

• I have a guard house by my Guard Tower and inside you will find some beds with the permissions set to allow anyone to sleep for free. I also have a larder and water barrel there that I keep stocked with food and water. If you lock your larder and then set the permission on it for Everyone to open, visitors can directly eat from the larder without having to pick it up.
  • Safety areas, all my public pens and buildings are locked with the permission allow Kingdom of "Freedom Isles" enabled. This allows visitors to afk safely without the threat of being attacked by any monster that can open doors/gates
  • Public Hitching Posts.
  • Have mediation rugs set up for people to use. Remember to repair them though lol
  • Something that is quite frustrating when you are traveling is entering a deed through a unlocked gate only to find at the other side of the deed another gate is locked. If you want to keep people out of your deed completely please make sure all your gates are locked. Or even better allow access to Kingdom of "Freedom Isles" so that travelers may pass through your deed or even have a safe place to rest. You also might find your deed showcased on one of the YouTube channels that explore the different servers. Why not show off all that hard work you have put into your deed! :D

Those are some of the permission and things you can do to make your deed a pleasant and friendly place to visit 🤗

If you don't want anyone touching or doing anything on your deed that's fine too. This is just for those people that were not aware of what some of these permission are for or that you can even set them up like this.

If you have any other ideas on ways to make a deed more "Visitor Friendly" or if you can think of a reason some of the things I have suggested are a bad idea, please let me know in the comments below.

I am by no means a veteran player and after a few years am still learning about things in game myself. (as a lot of us are lol) So please, be nice. I always encourage constructive criticism, but there is no need to be a 💩.

Happy Wurming all!

Indigoe - Whispering Meadows L19 Cadence.

Edited by Kementari
  • Like 6
  • Cat 2

Cast Deity Spells -  No reason that I can think of to not have this enabled.

I think if you have some unbranded, unprotected animals, someone can potentially use an offensive spell to hurt or kill them.

Cast Sorcery Spells -  I am pretty sure these spells are only harmful to the enemy, but I don't know a lot about them to be honest.

You can even hurt yourself, another player, and/or a branded animal on PvE with a Sorcery spell, like Fire Wall or Ice Wall.

(Someone cast both of these, me riding on my branded horse, both of us got damaged from them)

Use Meditation Abilities - Really no reason at all to not allow this. I even have mediation rugs set up for people to use.

These include Erupt, Freeze, and Enchant, so you may or may not want people to do these things to your deed.

This is not the same as the action called "Meditate", it's the Abilities from Meditation Paths.

UnLoad -  I have this enabled so if anyone is bring me over something they can just unload it and go.

This is fine, just wanted to note that Deed permission called "UnLoad" is specifically for unloading only. And Building permission called "May (Un)Load" is BOTH Loading and Unloading, so people might potentially take things inside your building (depends if not planted and item perms). Just in case, cos I heard someone didn't know the difference before!

Otherwise, this is nice, cool idea. :D

Edited by Lovelie
  • Like 1

Thank you Lovelie for your valuable info :)

I did not know that sorcery spells could harm other people on PVE, I have seen them be cast at rifts many times and have never been effected by them. I wonder why it was different at a rift ... interesting.

Ill add the part about branded animals and Deity spells, can you think of any harmful deity spells? I really don't know much about priest abilities.

Ahh yes the mediation spells, totally forgot about those.

6 minutes ago, Kementari said:

Thank you Lovelie for your valuable info :)

I did not know that sorcery spells could harm other people on PVE, I have seen them be cast at rifts many times and have never been effected by them. I wonder why it was different at a rift ... interesting.

Ill add the part about branded animals and Deity spells, can you think of any harmful deity spells? I really don't know much about priest abilities.

Ahh yes the mediation spells, totally forgot about those.

As for Sorcery spell, not sure if it's intended or it's a bug or whatever, this is what happened:

Friend cast both Ice Wall and Fire Wall just for fun.

I'm riding my branded horse, walk over to it and walk around it to look.

Not sure if it was after prolonged period of being nearby, or if it was at the moment the spell disappeared, but then both me and my branded horse had a small amount of burn and freeze damage.

As for Deity spell, the one that comes to my mind first is Drain Health (Libila spell), my husband was testing it out on one of our cows for fun. But I'd imagine that any other spell also meant to inflict damage can be done to an unprotected animal, right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lovelie said:

As for Deity spell, the one that comes to my mind first is Drain Health (Libila spell), my husband was testing it out on one of our cows for fun. But I'd imagine that any other spell also meant to inflict damage can be done to an unprotected animal, right?

I would assume so yes. Maybe I can link the spells list so people can see which ones are harmful, unless there are only a few then I could list them.

3 minutes ago, Lovelie said:

As for Sorcery spell, not sure if it's intended or it's a bug or whatever, this is what happened:

Friend cast both Ice Wall and Fire Wall just for fun.

I'm riding my branded horse, walk over to it and walk around it to look.

Not sure if it was after prolonged period of being nearby, or if it was at the moment the spell disappeared, but then both me and my branded horse had a small amount of burn and freeze damage.

I would love some more info on this for sure.

After looking at the sorcery spells you listed I think i have confused them with the similar diety spells, Fire Pillar and Ice Pillar. Ill add the same info for these spells as I did for the diety ones, thanks again!

This is a great thread!  I have always wanted to create a welcoming deed for weary treasure hunters and new players, but always struggled with permissions.  Using your suggestions I will be building a small cottage for travelers to log out and stay safe. 

I also have meditation rugs around my deed for others to use.  It would be nice to separate the act of meditating from any meditation spell ability use in the permission menu.         

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tukodama said:

This is a great thread!  I have always wanted to create a welcoming deed for weary treasure hunters and new players, but always struggled with permissions.  Using your suggestions I will be building a small cottage for travelers to log out and stay safe. 

I also have meditation rugs around my deed for others to use.  It would be nice to separate the act of meditating from any meditation spell ability use in the permission menu.         

You can meditate without permissions. The meditation abilities are the ones granted by paths, so allowing them may not be in the deed owner's best interest.

• Like 2

Heya Tuk! I miss saying that to you in local  :(
I would love to see them seperate those permissions too :)
Excited for your visitor cottage.... I really need to get over and see you on Melody? soon!

3 minutes ago, Seriphina said:

You can meditate without permissions. The meditation abilities are the ones granted by paths, so allowing them may not be in the deed owner's best interest.

I edited that out and put in the meditaion ability info, does it still read as you need to set a perm to allow mediation? i will take out the rug part and move it to "other things you can do". Thank you :)

Edited by Kementari

2 minutes ago, Kementari said:

I edited that out and put in the meditaion ability info, does it still read as you need to set a perm to allow mediation?

No, I clarified the quoted bit that they are not linked, but there is not a specific permission to stop someone meditating at rugs on deeds. These are entirely separate things.

On that note, though people can enchant grass in helpful ways, some may enchant a tree in your orchard (making it no longer fruit) or a flower tiles into enchanted grass, destroying the flowers. So use this with caution as not everyone will have the best and kindest intentions.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Seriphina said:

On that note, though people can enchant grass in helpful ways, some may enchant a tree in your orchard (making it no longer fruit) or a flower tiles into enchanted grass, destroying the flowers. So use this with caution as not everyone will have the best and kindest intentions.

Very true Seriphina. All of these suggestions are at the deed owners risk. There are always "those people" in every game lol.

21 minutes ago, Seriphina said:

No, I clarified the quoted bit that they are not linked, but there is not a specific permission to stop someone meditating at rugs on deeds. These are entirely separate things.

ahh i see what you were saying here, yes I did not realize either that meditating was allowed by default at first.

the worst deeds are the unnecessarily massive ones that don't have a simple through-path forcing people to walk all the way around due to it being fully fenced-gated and locked, really dumb, someone walking through a simple path (that you use yourself) isn't going to taint your deed

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Kementari said:

dropping huge piles of dirt all over your deed

If someone were to drop dirt with the drop items permission setting, would it drop only as a pile or would it actually raise the ground, change sand to dirt, etc?

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vorticella said:

If someone were to drop dirt with the drop items permission setting, would it drop only as a pile or would it actually raise the ground, change sand to dirt, etc?

They would need to have the terraforming permission set for dropped dirt to change slopes on the deed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeston said:

the worst deeds are the unnecessarily massive ones that don't have a simple through-path forcing people to walk all the way around due to it being fully fenced-gated and locked, really dumb, someone walking through a simple path (that you use yourself) isn't going to taint your deed

get off my lawn

As unfortunate as it is, it seems a lot of people are very skittish when it comes to setting any sort of public permissions on their deeds, as instances of those permissions working in unanticipated ways keep cropping up.

I've done quite a lot of experimenting with my own, using a character created solely to test my own deed security, and have found some alarming loopholes which I've had to go to some trouble to patch up, often by restricting permissions which would otherwise seem harmless and/or taking measures which on the surface would appear paranoid. My assumption is that if I can find these "work arounds," others who bear malicious intent likely have as well. Reporting these to anyone who is not in a direct position to correct them would be in the best interests of no one, aside from those who would misuse them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeston said:

I've even come across a few that are unlocked on one end but locked on the other, so you have to retrace your steps all the way back to get out, and then attempt to go around.  And going around isn't always easy because some deeds extend all the way to the water line and/or a mountain.  Fun times.  These are the moments when my pipe dream of a server with restrictions on building and terraforming burns extra bright.  And yes I know such a server would change the game to the point that it wouldn't really be Wurm any longer, but I still wish so much that it could exist.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Seriphina said:

They would need to have the terraforming permission set for dropped dirt to change slopes on the deed.

I have change this to say junk instead of dirt now.

5 hours ago, Avaxas said:

As unfortunate as it is, it seems a lot of people are very skittish when it comes to setting any sort of public permissions on their deeds, as instances of those permissions working in unanticipated ways keep cropping up.

I've done quite a lot of experimenting with my own, using a character created solely to test my own deed security, and have found some alarming loopholes which I've had to go to some trouble to patch up, often by restricting permissions which would otherwise seem harmless and/or taking measures which on the surface would appear paranoid. My assumption is that if I can find these "work arounds," others who bear malicious intent likely have as well. Reporting these to anyone who is not in a direct position to correct them would be in the best interests of no one, aside from those who would misuse them.

Would you be willing to send me these "loopholes" in a PM? If there is something that I have set that could be taken advantage of other than I have stated I would love to reword my post or remove that completely.

Like I said I am still learning a lot about this game myself. I do not want to spread misinformation. That doesn't help anyone :)

12 hours ago, Jeston said:

1 hour ago, Minnie said:

I've even come across a few that are unlocked on one end but locked on the other, so you have to retrace your steps all the way back to get out, and then attempt to go around.  And going around isn't always easy because some deeds extend all the way to the water line and/or a mountain.  Fun times.  These are the moments when my pipe dream of a server with restrictions on building and terraforming burns extra bright.  And yes I know such a server would change the game to the point that it wouldn't really be Wurm any longer, but I still wish so much that it could exist.

I will add something about locked gates to the other things section, thank you both :)

5 hours ago, Kementari said:

Would you be willing to send me these "loopholes" in a PM? If there is something that I have set that could be taken advantage of other than I have stated I would love to reword my post or remove that completely.

Like I said I am still learning a lot about this game myself. I do not want to spread misinformation. That doesn't help anyone :)

There are four basic interrelated problems when it comes to disclosing information about methods of deed security mechanics abuse, and they apply to other potential malicious abuses of game mechanics as well:

1. Posting a warning in a public forum reaches only those who keep tabs on that forum, and unfortunately many Wurmians avoid the forums. While it would serve the interests of those who do read posts here, it would also inform those likely to make use of the methods being discussed, and create a subset of players who would be unaware and unprepared in the face of that.

2. Abiding by the old adage that two can keep a secret if one is dead, the only people I've notified of such things are those who are actually able to correct the involved mechanics personally. They're the only ones who could make corrective use of the information, informing others does nothing to serve that end.

3. If you make it known that you are aware of such a method, you become the primary suspect if it is employed at some point. Therefore, I prefer to disclose such information in a way which can't be connected directly to me, in order to avoid that sort of distasteful drama. Being given the "Clairvoyant" title is simply not worth potentially having to deal with that sort of thing.

4. Finally, and this is not meant as a criticism so much as a fact, it can take quite a long time for this sort of problem to be corrected in the game. (Refer to the relatively recent "base jumping" warnings, that method of bypassing barriers was known about for a very long time.) That by itself is a good enough reason to keep such information out of any potential circulation as much as possible.

Just wanted to come back and re-state, when I mentioned the Sorcery spells (Fire Wall / Ice Wall), I got damaged plus my Branded horse got damaged. 

It was a very small amount, but this is pretty important.

Branding should protect animals (when branded they are then considered Citizens I believe). So when you set the permissions to Attack Non-Citzens, then it's normally fine if all of your important animals are branded. But anything that isn't branded isn't protected. That's what I meant by the distinction "unbranded/unprotected" in my other post.

But with Sorcery Spells it seems like there is no way to fully 100% ensure they are protected.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 1:26 PM, Kementari said:

Cast Sorcery Spells - There are some offensive sorcery spells that can harm you or your animals.

I changed the wording on this Lovelie, do you think that refelcts more what you have witnessed?

I am sorry Avaxas I am a little confused. Are you saying some of the things I have written here could be used against other players or are you saying you wont say here what could be used against other players?
I think I have written next to each thing what possible downside there could be when allowing that permission. If I am missing something I would really like to rectify it. I don't want people reading this thinking that its okay to do one thing when it could work terribly against them, myself included.

Edited by Kementari