Sign in to follow this  
MordosKull

PLEASE Imp Archery System QoL

Archery QoL is horrible.

Suggestions:

- Get rid of the need to queue every single shot. Make it so that once a mob is targeted, if arrows are present, you shoot until out of arrows or mob dies; like how regular melee combat works.

- Get rid of the need to activate bow. just need to hold it in hand; like how regular melee combat works with melee weapons.

- Give the list of arrows in the quiver a header, like multiple items in regular inventory get. That way you can drag them all by dragging the header instead of having to shift-click all through list; like how regular inventory items work.

- A little less outright arrow loss when collecting arrows after the kill.

Just these basic changes would make a lot of common sense and make archery much less punishing and tedious to engage in.

• Like 18

Can we even hotkey shots, last I played with archery like 8 years ago you could not, were forced to right click every shot.... friggin hard to do on pvp where peoples like moving 30kph zig zagging to avoid just you doing that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

Can we even hotkey shots, last I played with archery like 8 years ago you could not, were forced to right click every shot.... friggin hard to do on pvp where peoples like moving 30kph zig zagging to avoid just you doing that.

Yes you can 

• Like 1

While I agree that improvements of archery are due, and would welcome more proposals how (e.g. grinding archery is a pita), I want to mention that once you have your target in select bar, you can just press the "shoot" button, also selectable by rclick ofc. Also, a keybind is possible as Archaed told. Personally, I think that target practice should be rewarded at least until archery, and every bow, up to skill 50. Once archery cap is reached, the single bows should still give skill.

Edited by Ekcin

Question:  Would you like to use a keybind or press a "swing" button for every swing you dole out in melee combat? So, why for archery?

Edit: Unless you want all combat in Wurm to be much more interactive in general, then sure, make melee combat as 'interactive' as archery is. Otherwise, archery is incredibly cumbersome as it stands.

Edited by MordosKull
  • Like 5

I agree. No one really does archery (except the few), because its just easier to walk up to monsters and smack it to death with a melee weapon. There needs to allow an auto attack. And maybe some more types of ranged weapons, perhaps throw able daggers or a slingshot or something. (lets keep the "guns and blunderbuss out of the world lol)

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 5:53 AM, SprigusK said:

I agree. No one really does archery (except the few), because its just easier to walk up to monsters and smack it to death with a melee weapon. There needs to allow an auto attack.

I started out with archery since longbow was the first natural affinity I got for going premium and I was excited about that as I really like archery irl. I quickly learned it just wasn't worth it and switched to swords as my main weapon instead, though I did still grind archery for a while in hopes that higher skill levels would improve things. It improved damage and accuracy but not the other issues that make it too clumsy like having to equip and then also activate it. So now I just don't even bother with it since it's just not an efficient way to fight. Yeah it's good for drawing a target to you on occasion but on a whole it's just too ineffective as it stands particularly if you are ambushed. However if an auto attack were implemented I might just start grinding archery again.

• Like 3

Let's not forget imping arrows... One....    at...     a....       time....       for....       hours...        and...       hours.....      and.....       now they're gone.

The very nature of archery is that during a fight, arrows are single use items. To be of any value, they need to be made in bulk. NOT one at a time. No one would ever make 100 axes or 100 swords to throw at an enemy one at a time, especially if you knew that you would only get back 90-95 % of them. Were there a method of creating or at least imping arrows in say bunches of "40 Arrows" or "20 Arrows" I think we would see a lot more people walking around carrying bows. Were the landscape littered with spent arrows new players could find them and pick them up in their adventures. They would learn to repair and improve them.  They would want to learn to make a bow. They would WANT to practice archery. 

• Like 3

Agree on all counts

Not fixing archery will turn away a ton of new players. Many people enjoy a ranged style and will not appreciate their style of mmo play being left out as the system currently is

• Like 3

i want to shoot a arrow at rift creatures and have that arrow hanging out of them till death , 

• Like 1

It looks like the Exploration Update, part III, Goblin Camps, will provide more of an incentive to use archery.

It remains to be seen whether people will try to sell arrows for a living, or otherwise take advantage of that.

Honestly archery is pretty sweet, some of these are good, but I'd like to not just auto shoot because movement breaks that, so you'd have to wait to pick a shot anyways. 

Only thing I'd like to see is easier ways of collecting arrows (foraging gives all arrows in a x by x tile square) and maybe a way to imp arrows in a combined group. 

imagine accidentally throwing your rare/supreme/+ tool/weapon/etc.. at goblins or w/e enemy.. thrown items have chance to shatter it seems, you might or might not get back your item based off rng and what happens with the enemy's body(if it remains/disappears, if somebody else picks the body and says it was with empty inventory, etc..)

throwing items and using a bow is quite mixed up and will force a few of these scenarios

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sheffie said:

It remains to be seen whether people will try to sell arrows for a living, or otherwise take advantage of that.

Been selling arrows for years :)

Odd I posted in wrong spot but +1

Edited by Eleraan

On 9/23/2022 at 11:56 AM, MordosKull said:

Archery QoL is horrible.

Suggestions:

- Get rid of the need to queue every single shot. Make it so that once a mob is targeted, if arrows are present, you shoot until out of arrows or mob dies; like how regular melee combat works.

- Get rid of the need to activate bow. just need to hold it in hand; like how regular melee combat works with melee weapons.

- Give the list of arrows in the quiver a header, like multiple items in regular inventory get. That way you can drag them all by dragging the header instead of having to shift-click all through list; like how regular inventory items work.

- A little less outright arrow loss when collecting arrows after the kill.

Just these basic changes would make a lot of common sense and make archery much less punishing and tedious to engage 

archery is fine how it is.  removing the need to queue shots might over complicate specific scenarios.  For example you often have to switch targets in pvp. Archery is used to slow multiple people down at once in PVP. I don’t want to waste a quiver of arrows on someone’s horse due to the proposed “auto shoot” when I simply want to slow them down.  

Edited by DADLER

2 hours ago, DADLER said:

archery is fine how it is.  removing the need to queue shots might over complicate specific scenarios.  For example you often have to switch targets in pvp. Archery is used to slow multiple people down at once in PVP. I don’t want to waste a quiver of arrows on someone’s horse due to the proposed “auto shoot” when I simply want to slow them down.  

Ah of course, archery is good as it is! That is why everyone uses it!

Auto queue might not be the solution but you can't seriously think Archery is in a good place or has been in the last  6 years. It has either been wildly over powered (PvP headshots) or complete utility for kiting mobs or grabbing aggro. The amount of people who actually main archery can be counted on your fingers. We need to put our personal goals aside and think of the health of the game, new players who want archery will not be satisfied with the current system nor does it have value added to the game. It needs to be on par with Fighting or combat spells.

• Like 4

+1

absolutely pro QoL and other archery changes with the differentiation between PVP and PVE targets

I do not play PVP but the points made against auto-shooting etc in PVP sound very plausible. Saying "archery is fine" is not true overall, it might for PVP though.

But something like Arrow pick-up (maybe utilizing quality of your quiver to give it more range etc), making maintenance of arrows a bit easier (time-wise) and overall just more fluid and intuitive combat should be a thing, especially when making archery more useful for goblin camps. A useful but clunky and annoying skill is still not fun

On 19/10/2022 at 04:49, Sheffie said:

It looks like the Exploration Update, part III, Goblin Camps, will provide more of an incentive to use archery.

the system is so horrible, that I can hardly imagine any kind of insentivation that makes it viable without significant changes

1. short distance weapons

buy weapon

skill weapon skills

ready to go

2.) archery

skill bow making ( there are no bows on the market)

skill rope making (possible to buy strings)

make bow and bow string

grow a cedar tree forrest

skill wood cutting

skill fletching

skill weapon head smithing

make arrow tips and shafts

make arrows

improve every freaking single arrow

skill your bow weapon skills

..... and tada  youre ready to go

the fletching skill impact on arrow quality is just an insult to everybody who dares to go for this area.

change (skill determins chance of getting  max shaft QL for your arrow for example) this and get aride of

imping of arrows and you might have a working game mechanic. Imping a consumptive good is a horrible
idea. The loss rate of arrows is much higher than the decay rate of used weapons.

You really don't need a cedar tree forest unless you are mass producing 1000s of arrows a day. No one is doing that as far as I know. A single tree is enough to make close to 1000 arrows. I think you could say I main archery, recently hit 70 archery.

Some of the bigger problems I think are that you need a lot of skill before it becomes any use. At 40 you are still missing a lot regardless of what you shoot at. Another is that even at a fairly high skill you get quite a few glances off things like hyenas and of course scorp/crocs. Meanwhile with a sword you don't really need to care what kind of armour something has.

Some things to keep in mind:

Bowyery and fletching while not the easiest skills, are still quite a bit faster to raise than weapon smithing.

You can kill a champion troll at 40 archery, it will just take quite a few arrows until you are better skilled. Trolls are great skill gain though once you have got up a bit higher.

The hardest time I have had with archery was 40-50. 50-60 was a bit better and tbh, 60-70 has been the easiest and most fun yet. Other than 1-40 was also easy but a bit tedious. Looking forwards to 70-80, might push my arrows up to a higher ql now that I miss less often than I used to.

• Like 1