Sign in to follow this  
Docterchese

Expanded journal goals: deeds, hunting and more..

I really like the journal feature in the game. Many modern games are much more quest-based than they were 10+ years ago, and lots of players come into Wurm expecting a similar experience where the game gives you suggestions on how to get started. I think that the journal needs a UI/UX update so it isn't just a plain list of tasks, but in principle it's great: it gives players a set of optional suggestions for things to work towards, in the process exposing them to new features and helping to prevent them from getting stuck and quitting. It has the potential to make Wurm a lot less daunting for new players.

However, one thing about the existing journals is that they're either a) the basic training tiers (which act like an extension of the tutorial for certain skills) or b) the crafter/priest tiers (which aim to expose players to a wide range of what's in Wurm). The one exception to this is the treasure hunting journal tier, which is along the lines of what I'd love to see more of: optional journal goals in a separate category that are focused broadly on certain aspects of the game, and give new players a sort of instruction manual for what to do (if they want/need it.) This would help a lot with getting people started, but in a different way to the basic training tiers (which focus on skilling and creating basic items) and the crafter/priest tiers (which expose players to a very broad range of content).

So, here are a few ideas on what else could be 'journalised' from the early and mid-game of Wurm to help new players who need an extra helping hand with more advanced aspects of the game.

----------------------

A deed journal: "The Basics of Any Deed"

Most players (on PvE) found their own deed, but doing so can be a daunting task. This journal goal would pop up when founding a deed, all with the aim of giving newbies ideas on what to work on next, making deed-creation less intimidating. The goals could be...

• Found a deed
  • Build a building
  • Place a bed and a chest inside the building
  • Place a BSB on the deed
  • Start a farm on your deed
  • Brand an animal
  • Open a mineshaft
  • Build an oven and a forge
  • Build a well or a fountain on a tile with a water source
  • Join an alliance

Reward: upkeep tokens & a title.

----------------------

A hunting/slayer journal: "Gotta Slay Them All"

MMO players love completing things, so why not gameify fighting a little bit and encourage new players to go out and hunt a wide range of mobs? Available after killing your first aggressive mob.

• Equip armour on all of your body parts, a weapon and a shield
  • Train fighting with a fighting dummy
  • Fight with normal, aggressive and defensive stances
  • Slay a goblin
  • Slay a wolf
  • Slay a huge spider
  • Slay a black bear
  • Slay a brown bear
  • Reach 50 fighting  (note: this one is intentionally listed before some of the hardest mobs)
  • Slay a lava fiend
  • Slay a lava spider
  • Slay a hell scorpious
  • Slay a troll

Reward: title, maybe some experience gain or sp

----------------------

A travel journal: "Journey Around Wurm"

This goal rewards players for travelling around. Unlocked after moving at least 10 km.

• Use a highway system to navigate to a deed
  • Visit every major biome (grass, forest, steppe, tundra, sand/desert)
  • Visit 10 settlements
  • Purchase an item from a merchant
  • Trade with another player
  • Travel to another server
  • Equip a horse or a donkey with horse shoes and a saddle
  • Send an item to another player in a mailbox
  • Visit the north, east, south and west of your server
  • Travel 10 km while riding an animal
  • Climb a hill or a mountain that's at least 300 m tall (3000 dirts)

Reward: title, maybe a travel-themed clothing item (hat) of some kind

----------------------

Another travel journal: "The Wonders of the Northern/Southern Freedom Isles"

This journal would require a bit more maintenance (and doesn't really work on PvP) but would encourage players to go and visit different deeds that are famous for being amazingly well designed. The devs/GMs would need the power to hand curate these on the fly, and I'd suggest two separate goals (one for NFI, one for SFI). Deed mayors should be asked that they're ok with being on the list. But especially for market deeds, it would do wonders for generating tourism! This goal encourages new and old players alike to visit some of the most impressive deeds in Wurm for inspiration.

For instance, on SFI it could be...

• Where it all began: The Howl on Independence
  • An incredible, quaint market: Little Venice on Release
  • Out of this world terraforming: Magranon's Rest on Exodus
  • etc...

Reward: title, unique statue or tapestry

Alternatively, this could use some sort of slightly new journal system that adds continuous goals. Every few months a few new deeds would be added that people are recommended to go and visit.

----------------------

So, these are just a few suggestions for ideas that expand the journal system into new territories. This is not an exhaustive list, simply four ideas for areas of the game that a lot of newer players would probably benefit from having more direction with. And, ultimately, they're optional - Wurm is an open-world sandbox and so quests shouldn't ever be the focus. However, these ones give players guided ideas on what to do next, hoping that it helps them get into the game and stick around permanently.

Feel free to add any more ideas below 😃

(also, side-note: I think that before adding any more goals, the UI for the journal system should be re-vamped into something much more appealing to the eyes than a list of tasks; but that's something for another topic/day...)

• Like 12

I really like this. 

I also wish we had a more detailed hunting / fighting journal goal to slay different types of mobs. Like kill "100 greenish creatures" or "slay 1000 trolls with bows". Combat in wurm is pretty much inevitable so I think it should have a higher role in journal other than "kill 20 000" generic mobs. 

I'd personally add Nirav's Museum on Indy as a journal pilgrimage site :D 

• Like 2

I love this idea, and I think journal suggestions for various tiers and goals could be handy. 

The ONLY caveat I'd have is the visiting places one is kind of reliant on those deeds still existing, so maybe not those 

8 hours ago, elentari said:

I really like this. 

I also wish we had a more detailed hunting / fighting journal goal to slay different types of mobs. Like kill "100 greenish creatures" or "slay 1000 trolls with bows". Combat in wurm is pretty much inevitable so I think it should have a higher role in journal other than "kill 20 000" generic mobs. 

I'd personally add Nirav's Museum on Indy as a journal pilgrimage site :D 

Make it so a new NPC gives you slaying quests in exchange for rewards? (Not an original idea as it's in other MMOs, but would be fun)

• Like 1

I like this idea very much, but would also like to see a novice and master tier crafting journal additions

• Like 1