Sign in to follow this  
Avaxas

Horse Summoning

Allow the creation of a single use rune, attachable to a bridle, which allows the summoning of a horse.

Limitations:

The horse must be branded to the summoner's settlement.

The horse must be cared for by the summoning player.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Damascus said:

Just having it teleport with you using karma be nice .

I agree, but I don't see that ever being allowed, as it'd be too simple.

Only if the horse have a 5% chance of just straight up exploding

• Like 3

I like the idea. Rune enchant sounds great but it's hard to pass on another possible karma spell too.

7 hours ago, Archaed said:

Only if the horse have a 5% chance of just straight up exploding

No way. It would be prohibitive for me to have even a 0.05 chance to kill a horse during teleport.

To avoid overuse, a Jackal rune of [moonmetal] requiring high rift mat ql would suffice.

Branded horses should be able to navigate home using the highway system. 

Your deed must be on the highway system. Leading a branded horse interact with a way stone. 

Same travel time as a wagoneer.

So not instant but allows one to use teleports or even catch a rise with a friend or something.

Should be balanced by the horse being unavailable until it gets back. Encourages the development of a servers highway system. And is something horses can do irl.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, Eleraan said:

Your deed must be on the highway system. Leading a branded horse interact with a way stone. 

So not instant but allows one to use teleports or even catch a rise with a friend or something.

Should be balanced by the horse being unavailable until it gets back. Encourages the development of a servers highway system. And is something horses can do irl.

Honestly, this sounds like the superior option.  A nice easy way to send your critter home, one that relies on player agency and design.

Of course, those of us who choose hermitage wouldn't have such options, but I think it would help those who do!

Call it 'whistle' or 'shake a feed bag.'

Or maybe both for different limitations - for a little realism: 

'Whistle' they come at half speed with a chance of failure when they ignore you completely. 

"Shake a feed bag" they come at full gallop with a chance you take damage when they get to you.

:D

On 9/20/2022 at 5:32 PM, gorgian said:

Limitations:

PVE online

Most kingdoms have like a couple thousand horses laying around, seemingly. (at least on chaos). No point in limitation. Unless you really just like that horses name or something.

Edited by polarbear

On 9/22/2022 at 12:34 AM, Eleraan said:

This could involve allowing wagoners to deliver horses, by leading them behind the wagon in the same way players can. I imagine wagoners would have halter ropes, like most anyone who regularly uses a wagon.

• Like 2

Wurm didn't go this route. Horses in Wurm are persistent creatures in the game world that can be lost, found, stolen, killed. Mortal Online also has this system with the difference that it can be safely stored in a "horse bank".

Also it's not consistent with everything else in Wurm and would take from the simplicity of the game. I hate how a lot of MMOs I played are bloated with functionalities like this that facilitate different things. Of course there for each facility there is a button on screen somewhere making the interface itself bloated and frustrating. In Wurm it would be simply a new feature with a... rune? Keep it simple and intuitive.

On 9/23/2022 at 2:43 PM, Avaxas said:

This could involve allowing wagoners to deliver horses, by leading them behind the wagon in the same way players can. I imagine wagoners would have halter ropes, like most anyone who regularly uses a wagon.

This is actually a nice addition. Allow horses to be transported by wagoner for a fee. Maybe the cargo can also be caged horses although it's a bit unrealistic (driving a horsed wagon with horses IN the wagon :) ), so I think allowing wagoner to also lead 4-5 horses would be nice. But then at the destination what would the horses do? Roam away? Be hitched to a post?

I love the wagoner idea. I've never had a reason to use the wagoner, and hardly ever use summons or karma teleport since you can't bring a horse, but if the wagoner could deliver my horse home I'd do this all the time.

Overall, I like the idea. 

If going with the wagoner route (ha ha), I think it’s an ok idea to use Creature Cages. Sure, it is maybe funny if you think too hard about it, but it can just be wogic.

But if Creature Cages are used, then no new animations or rigging needs to be done (obviously horse-walking-on-a-rope animation exists, but not horse-waking-on-a-rope-following-wagoner, you know?) 

No new system needs to be made (What happens when a wagoner arrives to its destination waystone? Horses stand around? Wander away? Get a special waystone hitching post? Instead, just use a creature cage, which exists as a loadable thing already)

Also, then it’s still a bit of a challenge, so this still allows those merchants who do Self-Service horse sales to still have their niche. And perhaps also promoting more usage and sales of cages. Make a choice: pay the price of seller delivery, take the effort for traveling to self-service, or use your skill/use the market to acquire creature cage. 

Seems devs have shown recently that they like or promote players to travel more with treasure hunts, archaeology update, upcoming cartography, and upcoming religious sites. So hope this idea can add some possible convenience for those who choose that route, but also don’t completely kill reasons for travel for animal purchases too.

Edited by Lovelie

Wouldn't creature cages be counter productive for a qol to exploring? Not like you can carry a creature cage around.

16 minutes ago, Eleraan said:

Wouldn't creature cages be counter productive for a qol to exploring? Not like you can carry a creature cage around.

To be honest, i read the recent posts here drifting to wagoner idea, and my mind mushed together with this thread:

(Thinking about the consequence for self-service merchants selling horses where people must travel to get them, versus delivery by wagoner)

Lol, sorry for the confusion.

For clarification, I don't mind idea for simply Summon Horse using karma or rune.

Edited by Lovelie

On 9/25/2022 at 5:06 AM, Idlamn said:

But then at the destination what would the horses do? Roam away? Be hitched to a post?

I'm picturing two options for this:

1. A hitching post might be required at both ends, planted to the waystones being used in the same manner as wagoner containers. This would give rise to players creating specialized horse delivery points for this sort of purpose.

2. The horses could simply be hitched to the waystones themselves, or a hitching post might be required only at the point of origin, and the horses could be hitched to a waystone at the destination if no hitching post is connected with that waystone (or is already fully occupied.)

In either case, there probably should be a warning when arranging transport, "Wagoners will only protect your horses during transport. We are not stable hands." It's not in their job description to prevent horse neglect once they're delivered.

As an added protection, they might also refuse to transport pregnant or venerable horses, unless the latter are cared for. "I'm sorry, but I couldn't guarantee that an animal in this condition would survive the trip."

Edited by Avaxas
  • Like 2

On 9/21/2022 at 9:34 PM, Eleraan said:

Was just thinking about this last night.  Ended up on other side of Xan and wished I could pay the wagoner to send me a horse from deed.  If no route to my deed I can keep running and find another highway/wagoner to try it's routes.