Sign in to follow this  
FIREDRAGON

Treasure maps as creature drops

Treasure hunting is most liked by players that go out of deed and do thing, i.e hunting.

Having to farm a k tiles so I get a map so I can go treasure hunting isn't what I want and I believe it's the same for other who enjoy exploration. A player that enjoys farming won't be as excited about treasure hunting as a player that likes hunting/exploring. Creating an enjoyable feature but wanting players that aren't into that to enjoy it, maybe they will come out sometime but not like the hunters that enjoy doing that.

I have seen players that aren't interested in it having 10+ maps but players that want to do it, like me, have just a couple. It's like, the content is there, I would enjoy it but I can't because I didn't farm 1000 tiles.

• Like 11

I think that players that don't want to go treasure hunting, like me, are selling their maps. This was originally put in place, so I understand, to reward actions, like farming, digging, and mining, etc. that have very little reward when getting an MOI. Hunting, with the attendant butchering and burying, can give decent rewards already, with high ql parts and the occasional MOI which puts coins in your pocket.

Those who don't want to farm, dig or mine can buy maps from those who do but don't want to go traipsing across half the map in search of that elusive treasure.

• Like 2

But mobs can't read maps silly. Imagine killing a bear and getting a note about how it has to go buy some lingonberries. /s

For real though, it would have to be extremely rare

9 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

I think that players that don't want to go treasure hunting, like me, are selling their maps. This was originally put in place, so I understand, to reward actions, like farming, digging, and mining, etc. that have very little reward when getting an MOI. Hunting, with the attendant butchering and burying, can give decent rewards already, with high ql parts and the occasional MOI which puts coins in your pocket.

Those who don't want to farm, dig or mine can buy maps from those who do but don't want to go traipsing across half the map in search of that elusive treasure.

just make the maps from creature less rewarding or those from roll have something special or more. like have non rare maps from creature and I'm not saying every creature drops but say 5% chance to get a map so we can enjoy the content without having to get lucky or pay for it. For some people the adventure is more important than reward, if you understand what I mean.

I think you make a very good point, and I like the idea. I spend a lot of time exploring and I've had the same thought many times. It makes total sense that exploration should be one way to find maps and combat is always part of exploration.

If not dropped from the creature directly then they could come up when you bury them (unless that's already possible, if it counts as a digging action? Anyone know?). Having them drop from aggressive mobs isn't weird at all, since it could be found in the stomach of a predator when you butcher it, or in the inventory of a humanoid the same way we find recipes on them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vorticella said:

I think you make a very good point, and I like the idea. I spend a lot of time exploring and I've had the same thought many times. It makes total sense that exploration should be one way to find maps and combat is always part of exploration.

If not dropped from the creature directly then they could come up when you bury them (unless that's already possible, if it counts as a digging action? Anyone know?). Having them drop from aggressive mobs isn't weird at all, since it could be found in the stomach of a predator when you butcher it, or in the inventory of a humanoid the same way we find recipes on them.

I had a couple of roll on burry yesterday but didn't get any map so probably not in burry. also burry is not dig as lib priest can't dig but can burry

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FIREDRAGON said:

I had a couple of roll on burry yesterday but didn't get any map so probably not in burry. also burry is not dig as lib priest can't dig but can burry

Ah ok, good to know! I think it gives digging skill so wasn't sure :)

Burying gives digging or mining skill depending whether on surface or in caves, or shovel/pickacke skill. It is not subjected to priest restrictions.

And mind that the MOI giving coins are a different mechanic than rare roll MOI. They do not give caskets, and that has been clarified.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Archaed said:

But mobs can't read maps silly. Imagine killing a bear and getting a note about how it has to go buy some lingonberries. /s

We already get coins from them, what's the difference?

11 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

Buying treasure maps is not the kind of gameplay I'm after, personally. Half the fun is having one suddenly appear in your inventory!

• Like 1

Having the chance of finding treasure maps when burying a corpse makes total sense to me! That a humanoid could carry one that drops when killed, also makes sense! Having another incentive to tidy up after a kill fest would make the world more pleasent to travel in. So many good reasons this should be a thing :) So, basically just a thumbs up for this

• Like 1

Just to clarify though, it would not be a chance every coin roll, they are completely separate (something that needs to be clearer). 

You'd be looking at something much more rare than that 

2 hours ago, Archaed said:

Just to clarify though, it would not be a chance every coin roll, they are completely separate (something that needs to be clearer). 

You'd be looking at something much more rare than that 

Wouldn't it just be the same chance as with all the other ways of finding maps?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vorticella said:

Wouldn't it just be the same chance as with all the other ways of finding maps?

Rare rolls don't happen when fighting or killing things, so it would need to work differently 

There is already a system in place for recipe drops on some critters, adding treasure maps to the mix on sentient humanoids (goblins, trolls, arguable lava fiends) could be a good way to go (just tweak the odds to match the current rare roll ones).

• Like 5

I'm not opposed to finding a map when burying a mob as long as it's in the same range of possibility as farming or digging, which I've heard and seen is somewhere in the once in every 1K-2K range. I am opposed to having maps drop when just killing a mob, as I HATE coming across fields of corpses. To me that just smacks of a giant F U to the locals. Anyway, so yeah, will give you a +1 for a chance of roughly 1 map for every ~1K corpses buried with slightly better odds for humanoid mobs. But still voting no on getting maps dropped just from killing mobs, no matter the kind of mob.

• Like 3

I agree to Dale. Only, the race between coin roll and digging rare roll had to be treated similarly as it is in creation rare rolls when foraging and botanizing. Coin rolls occur every maybe 200 actions or so while creation rares occur in the usual 1/3600 per hour style (I never had a double roll, coin and creation rare, ever, so I assume they are mutually exclusive). Maybe bit better chance could be given to burying than that, or with a different mechanism than creating etc. which are performed continuously, but definitely lower than coin rolls.

• Like 3

I agree that burying a creature should provide the same sort of chance to unearth a rare casket as digging or farming.

I am not so sure about adding bottles to the stomachs of other creatures, or maps to the pockets of goblins.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 2

On 9/20/2022 at 1:43 PM, FIREDRAGON said:

Treasure hunting is most liked by players that go out of deed and do thing, i.e hunting.

I would disagree with this premise based on the fact that I don't like to hunt at all and yet I love to explore and I also love treasure maps.

Combat and burying corpses already provides coin from time to time - using those coins to purchase maps from players that don't want them would seem to solve the problem neatly.

5 hours ago, Sidereal said:

I would disagree with this premise based on the fact that I don't like to hunt at all and yet I love to explore and I also love treasure maps.

Combat and burying corpses already provides coin from time to time - using those coins to purchase maps from players that don't want them would seem to solve the problem neatly.

that's why I said most like not only liked

7 hours ago, Sidereal said:

You don't have to like hunting for this suggestion to benefit you. I'm not much of a hunter either, but I explore all the time and end up fighting creatures along the way whether I like it or not. It would be great if those fights could potentially result in a treasure map (eg. by burying corpses), so that we can have a way to find them while traveling around.

Edited by Vorticella

On 9/21/2022 at 6:05 AM, Archaed said:

Maybe a troll or a goblin could have taken a note from a murdered player.

On 9/21/2022 at 7:19 PM, DaletheGood said:

I'm not opposed to finding a map when burying a mob as long as it's in the same range of possibility as farming or digging, which I've heard and seen is somewhere in the once in every 1K-2K range. I am opposed to having maps drop when just killing a mob, as I HATE coming across fields of corpses. To me that just smacks of a giant F U to the locals. Anyway, so yeah, will give you a +1 for a chance of roughly 1 map for every ~1K corpses buried with slightly better odds for humanoid mobs. But still voting no on getting maps dropped just from killing mobs, no matter the kind of mob.

On 9/21/2022 at 10:50 PM, Sheffie said:

I agree that burying a creature should provide the same sort of chance to unearth a rare casket as digging or farming.

I am not so sure about adding bottles to the stomachs of other creatures, or maps to the pockets of goblins.

This issue indeed... it would encourage people to kill sheep peacefully grazing on my grasslands. A peaceful and serene landscape would turn into an uncanny image of death and decay. But now finding a casket when burrying mobs that's a nice way to implement this and encourage players to burry stuff. It also makes sense you burry the creature and while digging the hole you find a casket or a map or whatever.

Just make it so that if you are the killer of the sheep or deer you get a chance to get silver drained from your pockets. Sheep and deer should be left alone. No casket for those ppl just pain.

Edited by Idlamn
  • Like 1

There are a lot of valid points in this thread but I have to ask...

If trolls and goblins don't have the ability to read and write then why are they running around with recipes? And what would be the difference with them running around with maps? Just because you can get coins from them from time to time? You can do that with foraging too but that lets you find caskets.

As for selling unwanted maps wouldn't mob drop maps give the sellers more to sell? Sounds like a win to me.

And if the map drops are to correct useless Mois only then what about the Healing Mois? They're still pretty useless and no map drops from them. I'm guessing because it just wouldn't make sense to find a map while patching someone up. But then finding them from burring corpses would make sense yet that currently is not an option. So with this and the mobs being able to carry recipes but not maps I'm inclined to count common sense out as a factor so why not add them to healing Mois too?

With burying corpses and mob drop maps I certainly can see the concern with mass slaughter of all mobs but if the drops were limited to agros only it would help spare the domestics and non agro wildlife. There are those who will and do still slaughter them regardless(Lt and map drops or not).

On a whole I just don't see the problem with treasure maps as creature drops. +1 to the OP from me.

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 1

Yes, mob drops or just a random roll directly into inventory after a kill would be great.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to think that people on the forum don't know /s means sarcasm. 

There's lots of good ways of implementing this, the only question is whether the dev team thinks it fits their vision, the rest is just arguing semantics and getting annoyed with other posters for literally no benefit. 

seems too easy... should be incredibly low chance.. at which point you'd be losing sleep etc.. over hoping to drop one

if this gets compared to how praying and actually putting a lot boring work to get a map on army of alts doing gathering/etc actions and hope for maps..

Does that sound fun?