Sign in to follow this  
gorgian

magic scrolls

Any one that played D&D know where I am going with this...

A magic scroll created(enchanted) by a priest with a spell like LT, AoE, ext. The magic scroll would be a one time use item.

Instead of the priests always needing to cast. Why not let anyone cast it with a magic scroll that a priest has already prepared.

This would add a new item that anyone can use at anytime. 

New item that can be sold via different means like mailing, trading, & at a merchant stall

Give new use for paper & paper making skill

no longer needing to wait for that priest to be online.

• Like 1

it sounds good, will have effect in economy, benefiting whom is to be seen. But it's a really good suggestion and helps favor wastage, I mean passive favor that is wasted cause priest don't know what to do with it. Also it needs balance like if fighting cast can be stored, if not then it's way more useful vyn and nothing much for fo & lib  and vise versa so there has to be balance.

Edited by FIREDRAGON

Magic, both favor and karma based magics, needs a lot of love. I'm all for it. Love to share the spells I've unlocked.

I did like having that option in Ultima Online but in Wurm there are more things to consider:

Would any deity follower or a non-follower be able to cast spells linked to a deity by the lore?

What would manage the success/failure chances? Priests can fail and shatter items, casting from scroll would logically have to carry a risk of some sort as well.

- This could be resolved by having the power of the cast transferred to the item so if a priest manages to cast 40 LT on a scroll, it would transfer 40 LT power to the item but in that scenario, what happens with recasting? Would applying 70LT scroll to an item with     existing 40 power enchant on it guarantee the 70 LT result?

Would simply transferring power of the cast not remove the risk of shattering valuable items entirely from the game? E.g. if i want to enchant a fantastic pickaxe with 100+ BotD, there is a risk of blowing the pickaxe up by the priest. Applying the same cast as guaranteed result from a scroll would mean that the only thing risking a shatter is a blank scroll?

Edited by Locath

34 minutes ago, Locath said:

I did like having that option in Ultima Online but in Wurm there are more things to consider:

Would any deity follower or a non-follower be able to cast spells linked to a deity by the lore?

What would manage the success/failure chances? Priests can fail and shatter items, casting from scroll would logically have to carry a risk of some sort as well.

- This could be resolved by having the power of the cast transferred to the item so if a priest manages to cast 40 LT on a scroll, it would transfer 40 LT power to the item but in that scenario, what happens with recasting? Would applying 70LT scroll to an item with     existing 40 power enchant on it guarantee the 70 LT result?

Would simply transferring power of the cast not remove the risk of shattering valuable items entirely from the game? E.g. if i want to enchant a fantastic pickaxe with 100+ BotD, there is a risk of blowing the pickaxe up by the priest. Applying the same cast as guaranteed result from a scroll would mean that the only thing risking a shatter is a blank scroll?

There of course would be the same risk as if a priest cast it. 

Having scrolls just adds another layer to the sink. First to the cast to the scroll then to the item or what have you. 

P.S. personally id like to see a summon scroll. Not every rift there are priest to summon. This would make rift more appealing to people getting to them.

5 minutes ago, gorgian said:

There of course would be the same risk as if a priest cast it. 

But priest success chance, amongst other things, depends on their channeling skill which non-priests rarely have at any level worth mentioning?

Love this idea.  It can create a new market for crafters, a new market for priests, another sink for gems, and another use for paper.

However I can see how it might be argued that this wouldn't fit Priest spells, as they are granted by fickle deities and how much they like you (Favour) vs some internal concept of "magical essence" or "mana" or even Wurm's Karma.  Maybe let gameplay win out over "realism" in this case?

Create a blank spell scroll by using a gem on a paper or parchment.  The resulting ql is the highest difficulty spell that can be stored on the scroll.  So to get a Scroll of Summoning, you have to fork out some high ql mats to end up with a blank scroll of at least 80 ql; not so great a chore nowadays with Treasure Hunting.  If you have a ql 70 blank scroll, the strongest CoC you'll be able to store in that scroll is 70 regardless of how good is your Channeling skill.  Scrolls shouldn't be improvable.

At this stage, you might have: Blank Spell Scroll, ql 73.91

Then you cast your spell on the blank scroll to initialize it and define what kind of scroll it will be.  Your channeling level at the time of initializing the scroll is stored as well.  You can try to recast the spell to improve what is stored in the scroll, but each cast attempt should have a chance to shatter the scroll.  It also requires full amount of Faith for each cast.

At this stage, you might have:

Uncharged [0/50] Scroll of Wind of Ages [67], ql 73.91
Wind of Ages [67] has been stored in this scroll but the scroll still needs to be charged [0/50] before it can be used.
Wind of Ages is a difficulty 60 spell, and the Channeling strength of the scroll is 51.

Then you use Vessel on the scroll to fill it with the required favour.  Could even scale the amount that gets stored based on skill checks of channeling skill vs Vessel difficulty and scroll ql.

For example, my Mag priest is Faith 82-ish, but only Channeling 40-ish.  Vessel is a difficulty 70 spell.  If I wanted to create a Scroll of Summoning, I'd need to fill the scroll with 100 Favour; but my poor Channeling skill vs Vessel difficulty (70) and scroll ql (80+) means I'll be filling it for quite some time for the one-time use.  Because of the cost of the Vessel spell itself, a Scroll of Summoning would not be filled in one cast unless priests are linked.

At this stage, you might have:

Partially Charged [9/50] Scroll of Wind of Ages [67], ql 73.91
Partially Charged [29/50] Scroll of Wind of Ages [67], ql 73.91
Partially Charged [43/50] Scroll of Wind of Ages [67], ql 73.91

The final scroll might look something like:

Scroll of Wind of Ages [67], ql 73.91
Wind of Ages [67] has been stored in this scroll and is ready to be released onto a designated target.
Wind of Ages is a difficulty 60 spell, and the Channeling strength of the scroll is 51.

Using the scroll should be as simple as activating the scroll, click target and "Use" from the shortcut menu, or right-click target and "Use". It should take some amount of time, but not necessarily as long as it takes to cast the spell.  So, you'd use a .Shatter Orb for an instant cast (penning uniques?), a Scroll of Strongwall for a quicker cast (general use), instead of sitting for the full 3 minute cast on a priest.  The player using the scroll need not have any skill or faith or favour at all.  All of that was front-loaded by the priest.

Some spells, like Rites, would be considered to be too powerful to store in any physical material.  Perhaps any spell that uses more than 100 Favour would fall into this category.

A damaged scroll might increase chance of failure/shattering or might only reduce the quality of the cast.

Note, it will not be possible to have the Benediction-level 100+ enchants stored in scrolls, as the max ql and thus max enchant level is 100.  There will still be an opportunity for priests to cast these maximum level enchants and not be replaced by scrolls.

Rare+ scrolls should reduce the difficulty and chances of failures.

Naturally, also, a higher level enchant would replace a lower-level enchant if the scroll use is successful.  Same shatter potential should apply as with in-person casting.

• Like 1