Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

Yaga.host down

At the moment, the site yaga.host (178.254.10.132) is not reachable. The NIC reports  .. packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss.

The site hosts most of Wurm community maps, among them all exploration maps. Much if not most of treasure hunting is relying on it, and Yaga has done a great work. The recent disruption, though, demonstrates the vulnerability of this service containing a lot of community work. And we should start thinking about how to add redundancy to that single point of failure.

15 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

The site hosts most of Wurm community maps

While Yaga is a member of staff, and we value all of their contributions both in an official capacity, as well as their 3rd party tools. All of the items posted on the yaga.host sites are hosted by them. I do not know if it's possible, but redundancy might not be possible for their projects.

I am aware that the comm maps on yaga.host are a private project. And of course it is Yaga's decision whether and how to share his work. Depending on that, my idea would not be some HA service, that would be overkill. But maybe some backup site allowing to fire up in case of longer downtime of Yaga's site, containing a backup of all maintainer contributions. Maybe even that idea is going too far. I hope the site is back up soon. Yaga's last contribution on Deli forum, btw., was last Tuesday.

I don't think it's fair to the person running the private project to demand they setup a backup site incase of downtime that's likely out of their hands anyways. 

Unless you're offering to cover the hosting costs of a mirror site? 

• Like 3

Exactly that was the direction of my idea. It is clear that it is completely up to Yaga to decide what to do with his work. And if any, a backup site would have to be hosted and maintained by somebody else, and it would have to be clarified how to cover the cost and who could do the work. If a backup site would run as a cold start contingency site it would not need more than some data transfer, maybe daily, maybe weekly, allowing emergency operation, and also disaster recovery.

Mind that there is a lot of community contribution in these maps, and volonteer work, e.g. what Dale is doing here every day, and many players making those contributions. Some resilience would be good. And of course the topic of cost should be covered, also if something like a collection is deemed necessary and appropriate.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 2

Please also consider the time you could not reach the site was at 6AM on a Sunday at Yaga's timezone. A backup is always a good idea but it is totally up to Yaga and all who contributed to create the tool/app as it is their intellectual property.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Good morning, guys! Thanks for the heads-up. I just got up (Sunday morning here ;)) and noticed the issue.

Apparently the webspace provider I am using is down at the moment; I cannot even open their service pages. I opened a support ticket with them and I hope they will be able to get it all up and running soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience; nothing I can do right now. (To be fair it's the very first time the site is down since I started the map service years ago. So let's be lenient with then - this time :) )

• Like 14
  • Cat 1

5 hours ago, Archaed said:

I would not be against contributing to some sort of crowdfunding to support maintenance or expansion of these sorts of projects. While tools like the community maps and game information portals aren't strictly essential for gameplay, and aren't official offerings of the creators of Wurm, they are incredibly useful to most anyone who participates in the game.

Site is accessible now but security certificate is not matching.

Yeah still config is wrong at 1blu.de - it is celemap:

Q0jbXaS.png

Edited by Jaz

Meanwhile, if you go for a treasure hunt, you can always use the official map dump on Google Drive (links are on Wurmpedia).

9 hours ago, Ekcin said:

And we should start thinking about how to add redundancy to that single point of failure.

7 hours ago, Archaed said:

Adding mirror sites might not be worth it since the main sites are mostly stable and the info on the map aren't strictly essential for gameplay to require intense update.

Player can use a weekly update screenshot Yaga maps to act as a redundancy and upload to image share site. No money cost and require not much time if multiple people take the responsibility. Does player allow to do that?

6 hours ago, Yaga said:

Good morning, guys! Thanks for the heads-up. I just got up (Sunday morning here ;)) and noticed the issue.

Apparently the webspace provider I am using is down at the moment; I cannot even open their service pages. I opened a support ticket with them and I hope they will be able to get it all up and running soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience; nothing I can do right now. (To be fair it's the very first time the site is down since I started the map service years ago. So let's be lenient with then - this time :) )

Hi Yaga, while the site seems alive, connections to it are refused. For some reason, I had a cached version of xanadu.yaga.host, and that one manages to work with your service. May be a cert thing or whatever. Thanks a lot for your work, and I hope that the service will be up soon again. But enjoy your sunday and don't worry.

I want to take this moment to thank Yaga for such an amazing resource that so many of us have come to depend on - and for doing what's possible on a weekend to keep us informed as to the current status.

Oddly enough, I'm enjoying treasure hunting in "Difficult Mode" - the challenge of finding a difficult map location through memory and old map dumps was extra satisfying.  :)

Edited by Sidereal
  • Like 4

Indeed, big hands for Yaga for providing the service, even when it's temporarily down.

• Like 3