Sign in to follow this  
Vorticella

Exploration improvement - allow for afk breaks

9 hours ago, gorgian said:

I think stealth is the way to go. It fits almost every point except leading animals. Maybe it just needs a tweak, so you can use stealth when "leading animals". 

Stealth could potentially work with some adjustment, but right now it seems unpredictable and really doesn't offer the peace of mind I'm looking for. Even if animals weren't an issue, it only gives the message "you try to hide", with no indication of how well hidden you are.

The idea with the guard tower is you can walk away and actually take your mind off the game for a few minutes, without that stressful feeling that you have to hurry back and make sure you're not getting killed. None of the above suggestions offer this.

And for those saying to just log out, remember that your character doesn't leave the world immediately when you're off deed. The game closes and they stand there alone for at least 60 seconds, or nearly five minutes if you've recently been in combat "[09:22:50] You would leave the world in 287 seconds if you disconnected now."

Edited by Vorticella

9 hours ago, Sheffie said:

A good solution needs to be available when someone knocks at the door, in other words, at short notice. You cannot find a guard tower before answering the door. It seems that solutions based on guard towers won't help in all cases. Arguably, someone who needs a bathroom break might be expected to locate a guard tower, but that might be a bit much to ask. And I agree that, considering the various medical conditions that people might have, this is an accessibility issue.

Nothing will work in all cases of course, but there's usually a guard tower very close by. In cases where you can't reach one the tent part of the suggestion would be the next best thing.

there is /afk command, all it does is reply to players pm. It can just make us invulnerable as well, maybe with cooldown and not able to use say 5-10 tiles from a mob would be great even when afking in you house as sometimes trolls can come in if getes not locked

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FIREDRAGON said:

there is /afk command, all it does is reply to players pm. It can just make us invulnerable as well, maybe with cooldown and not able to use say 5-10 tiles from a mob would be great even when afking in you house as sometimes trolls can come in if getes not locked

I have mixed feelings about the afk idea.

Pro:

* These days I play on a fenced deed so that I can afk at any time without the fear of mobs coming while afk. Having an afk command like this, would mean I could open up the deed and have those random mobs coming now and then for some extra fun!

* Players with health issues would be able to utilize this to take better care of them selves.

* It feels like that is what afk is for, I do not get the "immersion" of being attacked while not at the computer.

Con:

* When not needing to go afk right this second, then having to find a guard tower to keep you safe feels more immersive. (But what is so immersive about afk in the first place? It is not really an in game activity ;) Maybe doing this could speed up healing? "You take care of your wounds while you rest a bit behind safe doors" - Yeah, would need to be on the exact tile for this to make sense).

Anyways, just thinking options here, the general feature is definitely needed!

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 3:11 AM, Vorticella said:

I'm a bit confused. Your first line says you're opposed to the idea, but in the last line you describe pretty much what my idea would offer, saying that would be nice to have.

That's fair - I was rambling a bit as I was thinking through my position.  More succinctly put: "How do I stay as safe as possible when a sudden, unexpected emergency pulls me out of game?"  And to me the answer is: "Quitting the game is a solution that already exists and almost always works." 

Of course there's still risk.  I've occasionally been killed by a mystery troll within 60 seconds because I wasn't wearing a helmet - frustrating, but rare.  Sometimes I'm very unlucky and it happens while my /lotime is still close to five minutes, but those are the breaks.  I've also been killed by my cats managing to step on the autowalk key, consigning me to a watery death as I swim out into the ocean and wonder where the heck my body wound up.  Every random death I experience is almost always my mistake, makes me thing long and hard about how to prevent it from ever happening again.  And the answer is always 'log out immediately'.

Putting together a new solution that is at least as effective is 1) more work for the dev team 2) is another mechanic that new players have to learn about, and 3) every change to the code base can always introduce unintended consequences.  I'm not in favor of the suggestion because I don't believe the effort will significantly improve on the options that are currently available.  With a little extra time, one can frequently find an old rift pen, a body of water, or an empty cave.

On 9/18/2022 at 3:11 AM, Vorticella said:

You don't always know when you're going to run across eg. a champ animal you've been wanting for months, a special colour horse or an abandoned horse with good traits from a fallen deed, a black sheep, whatever. Sometimes multiple of these things can happen at once. Plus, animal gathering trips are usually plenty long enough to need breaks too. 

To me this presents an interesting decision!  Do I choose to a) stop this treasure hunt and drag this champion back home to my deed?  Or b) do I take on a little extra risk and try and do both? 

If I've been looking for a particular champ creature for months, to me the decision is easy.  That treasure isn't going anywhere, and the minor inconvenience of dragging that critter back to the deed.