Sign in to follow this  
MordosKull

Mend Rune Efficacy

I just used a mend rune on my 93ql pick with 15 damage. It dropped it to 90.5ql. Is this the correct result that should be seen? My repairing would be much better if so. Just figured I'd ask if this is what should normally be expected with these runes, or if it's a matter of rune ql, mat type, or something else.

As far as I know, mend runes simply grant one use of the Mend spell - and those values sound pretty similar to what a priest would get from casting it, since Mend reduces item ql by ~2 for every ~20 damage removed: https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Mend

It probably doesn't take much repair skill to be better than a rune on 90ql items - I think somewhere between 30-50 skill would be better at repairing objects than the rune. I think Mend (and Mend runes) are only really useful for items that can't be repaired normally (like pelts and whetstones).

• Like 2

Mend quality reduction shouldn't be random, it should be exactly 2QL every 20 dmg, so you should have had a 1.5QL reduction for 15 damage, bringing it to 91.5QL.
Assuming all your datas are correct, they either don't work the same as Mend, or something went wrong.

Repair is way better than mend on rare/supremes at high skill, to be better than mend on a normal, i would eyeball you to need at least 75-80+ repairing anyway, but this rune seems worse than mend from what you said.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Davih said:

Assuming all your datas are correct, they either don't work the same as Mend, or something went wrong.

Yes, the numbers above are correct. I just don't recall the rune's ql itself. Also, rune was a zinc vyn rune made with rift stone shards if it could matter.

Sounds like I'll just be sticking to using my repair skill from now on except in cases like pelts or whetstones that can't be repaired.

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, mend makes sense only for stuff that cannot be repaired otherwise. Some, like shoulder pads, are not repairable even with that (except I missed something).

Btw., ql loss taken from mend has been widely reduced in a patch a while ago. Before, it was frequently used to lower ql of items, e.g. for creation of skiller tools. Nowadays, sunder and lava, and repair done by low skill alt, are the means of choice for that.

Edited by Ekcin

it wasn't exactly reduced, it was just made proportionate.

Before it was flat 2QL loss for any damage, and mended up to 20 damage. now the quality loss is proportionate to the damage repaired.

I kinda miss the feature of grinding down quality with mend, but well, at least there's an upside i guess.