Sign in to follow this  
elentari

[No Bug]Treasure map bug - 2 guard towers with the same name

I was doing a treasure map on desertion, ql 31, challenging. 

2XR1aLq.png

This was NOT the correct tower however...

This was the correct one. 

2pl0mTY.png

Both towers are 1 local away from each other. It seems for some reason they have the same ID number, the only difference is one is rare, the other is not. 

Game considered the non rare one the correct one. 

Guard tower numbers are semi-random, so they absolutely can have the same number. The most I have seen, was 3 with the same name and number, all within a map square. 

So how towers naming work is the ID of the tower is divided by 1000 and the remainder is the number, the owner of the tower which is the person who finished it is what decides the name. Not much we can do but open to ideas on how this could be improved but any changes to make them unique would likely involve re-rolling the numbers for most if not all towers.

Unless the tower names are used for anything in the code a quick and dirty solution might be searching for the duplicate names in the database and an extra digit in front of the number part of the name of them (then please post the changes so the maps can be adjusted easily).

For new towers the same check could be included upon creation.

15 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Unless the tower names are used for anything in the code a quick and dirty solution might be searching for the duplicate names in the database and an extra digit in front of the number part of the name of them (then please post the changes so the maps can be adjusted easily).

I think this would be ideal. Re-randomizing tower guard numbers might screw up a LOT of people's efforts put into mapping tower guards after the treasure update, rendering all maps pointless for that purpose.

Finding the duplicate tower guards and giving them unique number ID's would be easier I believe. 

8 hours ago, Jaz said:

For new towers the same check could be included upon creation.

8 hours ago, elentari said:

I think this would be ideal. Re-randomizing tower guard numbers might screw up a LOT of people's efforts put into mapping tower guards after the treasure update, rendering all maps pointless for that purpose.

Finding the duplicate tower guards and giving them unique number ID's would be easier I believe. 

There is no good way I can think to do this as a quick fix unfortunately, they are not stored as actual tower numbers it just takes the ID of the item divides it by 1000 and the remainder of that is the towers number we do not store that number anywhere it is calculated when sending it to your client.

12 minutes ago, Darklords said:

There is no good way I can think to do this as a quick fix unfortunately, they are not stored as actual tower numbers it just takes the ID of the item divides it by 1000 and the remainder of that is the towers number we do not store that number anywhere it is calculated when sending it to your client.

Ahh so the tower name is not stored as a string. Is it possible then to expand and use the last 4 digits of the tower ID? That would solve the uniqueness issue most likely - will need to still update the maps but the current numbers will still give a clue of the last 3 digits on the maps until those are updated.

Dumb naive question. Not trying to sound like a smart butt. Sorry in advance. Take with a grain of salt.

I don't guess ya'll can just add another table to your DB and start storing all the numbers to check against with player names. (foreign keys with ID's of towers, of course )

Or 2, as a hashmap in the Java code which won't allow duplicates and an exception thrown to re-roll a number or just add 1 till it fits. 

Or does Game Chest Group be like "NO more tables". :P 

Granted it may not fix older towers but can fix future ones from popping up. 

Edited by polarbear

Why not simply add map coords to a guard tower name on completion?  That eliminates any possible duplication, since two towers can't be build on each other.  Not a fix for the old ones, but start with that going forward?