Sign in to follow this  
FallenKnight

Bring back message when the uniques respawn

10 hours ago, wipeout said:

But they do though that's the sad part before everyone knew but now its those who spend their time digging through WU code or are running external tools be it map dumps or excel sheets based on historical data to figure out spawn rate(Yes there is one floating around in the wild and its a glorious little spreadsheet)

Why don't you really level the playing field and share the spreadsheet then?

seriously if this is such a problem that you have time to come in here and whine about "i am not getting enough uniques to kill we need to make it easier" then you have time to form your own unique hunting party and learn how to do it yourself. or you can be like me and be happy that occassionaly someone posts a unique public fight that i can go see if my sword can even hit it one for giggles. honestly i fill like i am watching a school yard arguement.

4 hours ago, Archaed said:

Quick question for those reason past this, as I'm curious about whether it's the opportunity to find your own, or the private sayings that bother you. 

Do you want opportunities to find unique yourself, or do you want more public sayings to attend? 

Personally I would appreciate more public slayings, but would prefer that private slayings still have their chance. Maybe an increase by half or doubling, particularly in humanoid uniques where the finder needs not to lose anything unless they choose to share loot. Also maybe better chances for some of the more disadvantaged time zones (though weekend at Stanlee time or bit later should be fine for most). 

Here is the fix; way more uniques, but make them way stronger. Make it so that only the toughest players can even stay in combat with them. But make them attracted to weaker players. Make them spawn near smaller settlements, or near players with low skills. Then the lowly peasants have to pay a dragon slaying crew in scale and bones to come and rid them of the dragon.

As long as you make it so that this cant be faked or abused, all our problems are fixed.

• Cat 1

5 hours ago, Archaed said:

Quick question for those reason past this, as I'm curious about whether it's the opportunity to find your own, or the private sayings that bother you. 

Do you want opportunities to find unique yourself, or do you want more public sayings to attend? 

Hands down, I want way more public slays.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

As long as you make it so that this cant be faked or abused, all our problems are fixed.

You can say more or less anything before this sentence. The sad fact is, many game design decisions are shaped not by considerations of what would be best to allow the players to do, but how to prevent player abuse.

It's difficult to tweak existing mechanics to reward players who attend a public slaying and who don't have much combat skill, without also rewarding the hypothetical army of alts. Ultimately I think that the solutions are going to be, either re-work dragon spawning to be a public event (and scrap the current etiquette) or provide other means of getting high performance, prestigious armour. (See my suggestion for Brigandine on another thread).

Still to remind all who are proposing radical changes: Public slayings are one of the two kinds of events regularly gathering large numbers of Wurm players, the other ones are rifts, with ways less participants, and impalongs, happening much less frequently. The possibility to bring alts is part of the fun, there is frequently at least some roleplay around alts.

Depriving Wurm of these events would be sad. Scale for everybody and my dog hardly an excuse.

Edited by Ekcin

Add uniques to the last circle of the Wurm Online battle royale

• Like 2

Increase spawns, make them all public, decrease loot as a nerf.

More slayings please.

12 hours ago, Adnurak said:

Why? The people who do the work of finding and capturing the uniques (which is the actual hard part) dictate how the slaying goes down and how the loot is split. We don't need a top-down mandate for who gets to benefit from other people's efforts. No-one is going around telling blacksmiths to offer imps at X price, so why do we need to tell hunting groups how to manage their affairs? If I find an utmost silver vein do I have to share it with the rest of the server? This is a non-issue.

The fact that the Unique hunt threads keep coming back, full of controversy, probably twice a year, should be enough to show that something is not balanced the right way.  Wurm devs should be focused on the happiness of the many, over the few.  It is the best bang for the buck on the limited time they have to work on the game.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

The fact that the Unique hunt threads keep coming back, full of controversy, probably twice a year, should be enough to show that something is not balanced the right way.  Wurm devs should be focused on the happiness of the many, over the few.  It is the best bang for the buck on the limited time they have to work on the game.

I fail to see that the many do recognize uniques other than by Stanlee's and a few others' announcements for public slayings. And those arguing for or against announcement, radical changes, scale for everyone or whatever are not "the many", but a small fraction of forum activists, some just loving to dispute (erm, I am not free from, either).

The message did not do any good, as Stanlee has explained, rather it triggered all unique hunters to gather on the server in question, the small ones in particular. Granted, it was worse when a dragon spelled a couple of hundred euros in RMT times.  Insofar, unique hunts have become ways more relaxed nowadays, moreover as the period of a unique spawn is so and so much days after the demise of the last. The number of places possible is still finite, on small servers particularly more.

Certainly, the message would bring back a lot of the original stress, and further limit the chance of bystanders just to stumble into a unique. Therefore -1. Also, as explained, -1 to all radical changes. Despite the disputes flaring up some times every year, unique hunting is working. Strengthening public slaying would be fine, sure, but not on cost of banning private slayings, and not to an extent causing public slaying fatigue as observed with rifts. Not that I am saying that there are too many rifts, but certainly too many to attend them all, or even most of them, and a "bah, rifts" attitude became fashionable among the mossy vets [tm], wouldn't be good if that extended to slayings.

Edited by Ekcin

In line with the forum rules, please do not discuss hacking here.  If you have evidence of someone using such hacks or otherwise breaking the rules, please send it to staff (via forum PM, email or /support).

Pandalet (LFM)

19 hours ago, Archaed said:

Personally I could care less about scale and usually send it back to the player creating the public slaying.  Bloods are nice, but I can live without. 

For me it's all about the community event and the excitement of a dragon slaying, especially for newer players.  Who on NFI doesn't remember the red dragon slaying where there were so many players (500+) we broke local?  For people that want to build this game and see it succeed, events like this is how it is done.  I give a lot of credit and respect to those that find and organize unique slayings.  Even if 25%-50% of dragon kills were public it would be much appreciated by the community.  

I don't know what the solution is, but there must be some drop ratio that can be established to encourage more public dragon slayings.  A new unique system is long overdue and hopefully it would be designed for the benefit of the entire community.  Perhaps titles for each dragon type or color could be made to encourage more public participation.  Even titles for the number of unique slayings may be an option, 10/25/50 slayings etc....  Whatever system creates buzz, excitement and has a chance to benefit the whole community would be appreciated.  

Edited by Tukodama

Post from Elentari a few hours ago, which for moderator reasons was deleted I believe.  I am reposting with a tiny edit to hopefully fix the issue that caused it to be removed.

Part of the change that CAN be implemented would be to drop dragon hide / dragon scales in difficult treasure chests. At least that is something that can do to mitigate the frustration single players have about never getting scales and the prices they have on the market. 

That being said, I was never / will never be a fan of any sort of game design that gates content behind RNG (randomly spawning uniques) + encouraging an elitist, tribal mindset with a greediness factor and motivation behind it. Years of playing Wurm has revealed this type of game design promotes the most awful toxicity imagined. Couple that with the previous existence of RMT and dragons literally being cash cows, no wonder so many (...deleted words here...), WU was datamined and now the scale/ hide market is at an all time high. 

It's an issue of game design no matter how you phrase it. We have 6-8 threads popping up every year about the same issue for the past decade. Something needs to change. 

The devs need to decide on a course of action and stick to it. And the question you really want to ask, as a game designer is simple : "Do we want to make a piece of content based on pure RNG or based on static elements but with a difficulty curve?" 

The former is the current system which has had issues for years. It will always encourage private slayings, people trying to find tricks or use 3rd party resources to maximise their profits. This always leads to players, the good ones becoming increasingly frustrated to the point some will simply quit the game seeing as nothing is being changed. This system leads to players quitting. It's not a good system. It's one that leaves you without customers while pandering to a small elite. That's not how you want a game to grow, both culturally and financially. 

The latter implies static uniques but killing them is a challenge that rewards participants based on their contribution. This gives players equality of opportunity, the outcome will depends on their skills in game but also as players how they handle the situation. 

Until the devs answer the important question, threads like this will keep popping up, players will look for more map hacks, toxicity will still be there, drama will pop up yearly, more players will be encouraged to quit and Wurm will be given more black eyes. 

• Like 2

If information on the presence of uniques is going to be revealed by the game, something so crude as a simple announcement wouldn't be much fun.

Instead, make it part of the archaeology/treasure hunting/new cartography systems that clues might be found as to the present location of an existing unique. These might include something like a strange artifact which provides a directional (but not distance) hint when used, but only once, and crumbles to dust after use (or when the unique is killed.) Highly vague maps or scraps with very broad hints ("it lurks somewhere in the northeast") might also be good.

The idea would be to provide different sorts of things which could be used in different ways, possibly complimenting information from each other, to narrow it down to a wide area to begin searching in.

Edited by Avaxas
  • Like 1

As to the "threads like this will keep popping up", it seems to be a fairly calm one, belying the claim that "many" were so uncomfortable. There were so far, if I counted correctly, 16 participants, the majority with single comments not generally expressing unhappiness, some even out of the topic, or just commenting sideshows. A few are arguing repeatedly (like me 😎) advocating the one or the other way. They are few.

If people are looking "for more map hacks" they are playing with the banhammer over their heads. It happened already. Speaking from a tiny alliance which never cheated but ran into 3 dragons in about 4 years i cannot believe that those indeed roaming the realms (I saw some, they do) are all cheating. With some diligence they will have success staying honest.

But  again, constructive ideas to get better satisfaction in unique hunting are always welcome. The messaging is not good as explained. Spamming scale and hide is also not really good. Anything jeopardizing slaying events is very bad. Trying to ban, discourage, or disown alts at slayings will be likely to destroy nice events. The priests gathering for prayer and sermons are mostly alts. And I agree to Tukodama. As already written, public slayings are the most popular mass events in Wurm.

Very few suggestions get a response from devs. I doubt a lot this one will receive one.

On 9/11/2022 at 3:22 PM, Wurmhole said:

and now the scale/ hide market is at an all time high. 

All that money being spent on purchases has to come from somewhere. If prices rise and people spend more in the web shop to buy a piece of ingame resource, would the company or devs even consider killing the golden goose?

Scale and hide prices are considerably high on NFI only, just because there is too few scale and hide for the number of players. Unique hunts seriously started about one and a half year ago, and on 3 servers. There may be less than 50 sets in all NFI, and most of the owners are not willing to sell, mostly just acquired, be it in unique combat, or trade. Without cluster merge, this market segment may need half or even a full decade to relax.

The silver spent for is just circulating silver, I doubt many need to buy new silver in the shop for that purpose. Even if so, the limited amount of sets or material makes it widely irrelevant for shop turnover.

Edited by Ekcin

10 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Scale and hide prices are considerably high on NFI only, just because there is too few scale and hide for the number of players. Unique hunts seriously started about one and a half year ago, and on 3 servers. There may be less than 50 sets in all NFI, and most of the owners are not willing to sell, mostly just acquired, be it in unique combat, or trade. Without cluster merge, this market segment may need half or even a full decade to relax.

The silver spent for is just circulating silver, I doubt many need to buy new silver in the shop for that purpose. Even if so, the limited amount of sets or material makes it widely irrelevant for shop turnover.

Lol its not topić about prices on NFI and not even connect to SFI

Its about making notification for everyone about unique spawn to make everyone the same chance to find them 

I answered to

On 9/11/2022 at 4:22 PM, Wurmhole said:

and now the scale/ hide market is at an all time high. 

Threads make turns. Maybe time to close the topic.

Edited by Ekcin

34 minutes ago, FallenKnight said:

I still waiting for dev anserw if the topić will be closed i will make another one lol

This isn't how the suggestions forum works, devs aren't obligated to respond. 

Also, I wouldn't want them to wade into a discussion like this, it's too divisive and would take up far too much time to talk about. Suffice to think the answer is no unless you see it in patch notes 

Edited by Archaed
  • Like 3