Sign in to follow this  
polarbear

Verasm: New Skill Comparison Site and more

Hey everyone, I'm since the news about Niarja shutting down, and with that I want to say thanks to Chakron for his many years he developed Niarja.

I am in the process of re-creating Niarja with all new code and making it open source. Due to me currently IRL getting a PhD in Computer Science, I may not have time to deal with bugs asap, or feature requests, so this is why I'm making it open source. 

So if you are a UI/UX person or a whiz at Java, it's open to anyone to make changes and put in PR's. 

Current Tech Stack:

• Back end:
    • Framework: JHipster 7.9
    • Language: Java JDK 11
    • RDBMS: PostgreSQL
    • Monitoring: Prometheus / Grafana
    • Other: Hibernate, Liquibase, Docker (for prod), host of other Spring related Tools
    • Auth: JWT - We can use Oauth with keycloak pretty easily, but must be decided early on, as it would be generated by JHipster (less headache moving code around)
  • Front end Language
    • Type: React
    • Language: Type Script
    • In "dev": using NodeJS for hosting front-end then proxying to back-end. 
  • Prod:
    • Compiled all to a Jar file
    • Put in docker and the rest of services have pre-configured docker (thankx JHipster)

Github Link: https://github.com/bnorthern42/Verasm

What is JHipster:

Spoiler

JHipster docs: https://www.jhipster.tech/

What comes as standard with JHipster (if curious):

Log Viewer

Spoiler

v7Te239.png

Swagger Auto-generation. Great for API Testing

Spoiler

7vdyXnH.png

All the metrics:

Spoiler

hlKGJZ9.png

CRUD support out of the gate for entities: 

Spoiler

628OfFN.png

Edited by polarbear
jhipster spoilers
  • Like 6

This sounds awesome! And it's great that it's open source from the start.

Are you going to add things like deed, unique and rift logging eventually? I have experience working with the Twitter API (in Python, admittedly never touched it in Java) and would be willing to help contribute some parts to the back-end code. Twitter is a little weird to work with sometimes so my experience there could hopefully be helpful, if you're interested 😃

4 hours ago, Docterchese said:

Twitter is a little weird to work with sometimes so my experience there could hopefully be helpful, if you're interested

Yes, any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm going try and get skills working by the end of the weekend. I can go ahead and generate pages for the rest. Just need to figure out what fields need to be stored in db. 

I'll update readme, soon on how to add entities, it's all done with this: https://www.jhipster.tech/jdl/intro . It's not that bad once you get into it. It sets up all the CRUD automatically, and adds front end pages for you. JHipster is over powered imo.

Also any dev that puts in code over time, I'll gladly give perms to accept PR's and stuff. Last thing I need is to have this turn into Vim where only one guy does all the PR's, but I digress, lol. 

Edited by polarbear
  • Like 1

I’m out of date on coding by like 20 years.  How would this compare to WurmNode which is gaining traction now?  It’s hard for me to imagine, I am a hands on and visual learner, so without something to see and play with it has me curious.

Edited by Nomadikhan

On 9/14/2022 at 12:33 PM, Nomadikhan said:

I’m out of date on coding by like 20 years.  How would this compare to WurmNode which is gaining traction now?  It’s hard for me to imagine, I am a hands on and visual learner, so without something to see and play with it has me curious.

• Built with java and fully open source. I don't know that status of code for WurmNode site. 
    • So if jdoe wants a feature added, they clone the repo, make a new branch, add feature then send in PR, etc... now jdoe's feature is enabled. 
    • Licensed under MIT License 
  • Also it adds options, as it's not a competition, but rather different tools for different things. 
    • Nice not to put all our eggs in one basket, like we did with niarja. But as it's open source, if someone wanted to, the can fork it, if they want and setup with their own domain. 
  • note: It is still in development. Should have something alpha level out soon (tm). At least for skills, just added parsing of the dump file in the latest PR (from this post)
Edited by polarbear
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Chakron said:

What happened with this?

dissapeared in silence, like most things