Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Opening a Tunnel: Down, Flat and Up options

I'd really like to have the option to open a tunnel by tunneling down, flat or up, just like when inside a mine, doing normal mining. 

Thank you for listening to an old lazy Wurmian.

• Like 12
  • Cat 1

yeah, I hate having that 20 slope drop when opening a tunnel. Most times I want to just go straight into the rock, not have that weird dip and have to go scramble to make 40 concrete to raise it back up. Options, man, we love and need more Options!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

yeah, I hate having that 20 slope drop when opening a tunnel. Most times I want to just go straight into the rock, not have that weird dip and have to go scramble to make 40 concrete to raise it back up. Options, man, we love and need more Options!

I couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kordethbludscythe said:

i agree i hate when my tunnel opens the wrong way than my plans were

I think its not about what you say ;)

Yes please able to make flat tunnel +1

When I want a flat entrance, such as when making a tunnel, I go in a few tiles away from where my entrance will be (where the rock is already exposed), tunnel over to the correct height and location, then break through from the inside. The opening will then be flat. 

If I don't need the side entrance anymore, I just collapse it.

47 minutes ago, Brian said:

When I want a flat entrance, such as when making a tunnel, I go in a few tiles away from where my entrance will be (where the rock is already exposed), tunnel over to the correct height and location, then break through from the inside. The opening will then be flat. 

If I don't need the side entrance anymore, I just collapse it.

indeed.  This is what most do, but either you have a Mag prem account, have a good close friend or you pay (priest or store) for the collapsing.  This seems like such a simple QoL addition. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure that Tunnel Up is a good idea, but having the option to open a flat tunnel where the geometry allows it sounds like a great addition.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sheffie said:

I'm not sure that Tunnel Up is a good idea, but having the option to open a flat tunnel where the geometry allows it sounds like a great addition.

It should not be excluded. I could imagine opening up a tunnel from water intended to be above maximum mineable depth of 25 thus making shaping of ceilings and floors possible. How useful or needful that be, I do not know. But I see no reason to exclude it. And yes, +1 to the proposal.

• Like 2

Has there been a change in creating mine entrances yet? Or is it always a 20 tile drop when using tunnel action? And afterwards lifting the lower two cave tiles with 40 concrete (2 conrners, 20 concrete each).

What height should the entrance tile be for a nice entry? I am thinking of a 30 up slope, then tunnel through the surface tile.....

Sorry for necro.

Achieving this objective should be feasible if sufficient room exists for excavation in any direction, be it upwards, downwards, or horizontally.

On 7/24/2023 at 11:49 AM, Krets said:

Has there been a change in creating mine entrances yet? Or is it always a 20 tile drop when using tunnel action? And afterwards lifting the lower two cave tiles with 40 concrete (2 conrners, 20 concrete each).

What height should the entrance tile be for a nice entry? I am thinking of a 30 up slope, then tunnel through the surface tile.....

Sorry for necro.

30 is a good height.  33 if you want to drop a single story building inside the tunnel, to exactly match the height of the opening.  40 is probably my favorite opening height, since I am riding in on a cart most of the time.  If you are going up right from the entrance, you might go for 60 entrance height.  Just my personal preferences.  SOme like much higher and some do so low that it feels like you are going to crash into the opening ceiling as you enter.

Also, they have not done anything yet on this suggestion for tunneling up or flat for an entrance.

11 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

30 is a good height.  33 if you want to drop a single story building inside the tunnel, to exactly match the height of the opening.  40 is probably my favorite opening height, since I am riding in on a cart most of the time.  If you are going up right from the entrance, you might go for 60 entrance height.  Just my personal preferences.  SOme like much higher and some do so low that it feels like you are going to crash into the opening ceiling as you enter.

Also, they have not done anything yet on this suggestion for tunneling up or flat for an entrance.

Thanks for this reply! Very insightful for me. If i ride a large cart i need 40 slope .. .. good to know. Raising tiles with concrete is only possible up to slope 30, so i'll have to keep that in mind to first raise the northern corners before minig down the southern one!

Your last part is too bad, but was afraid that would be the case. There doesn't seem to have been many notaceble changes in the last 6 months.... apart from the website of course.

3 minutes ago, Krets said:

Thanks for this reply! Very insightful for me. If i ride a large cart i need 40 slope .. .. good to know. Raising tiles with concrete is only possible up to slope 30, so i'll have to keep that in mind to first raise the northern corners before minig down the southern one!

You can always raise the lower side to 10 higher than it needs to be, fix your upper side, and then mine the lower bit down again, so you won't be stuck. But it saves you concrete if you can avoid that.