Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

Valrei International: What's To Come (Part One)

20 hours ago, Blacklotus said:

I need to ask, is this adding an entirely new skill or is it replacing an existing skill. Will it break affinity cooking recipes, or is cooking going to get fixed along with this change?

LOLhopefully it'll replace Tracking.

will we be able to copy maps already made if so i could see a booming market for maps.

will we be able to copy maps already made if so i could see a booming market for maps.

Yes you will be able to make as many copies of your original map as you would like but not copies of copies.

• Like 1

Will maps use the quality system at all (and thus require improvement/creation luck)?

If so, what is the planned impact?

I love this, honestly. Maps would just be super nice to have in game - I was angling for the maps more than the cartography skill but I'll happily take both. :D

If we don't get map pins, I had a handful of suggestions for other ways we could annotate or use 'em awhile back (would only work on tables, not walls mind).

I also love that they can be copied but only from originals - allows skilled cartographers to retain some control over their hard work and creations while still being able to share the fruits of their labour. Excited to see this in the game and, for me at least, I don't care if it doesn't have more ingame functionality than 'cuz maps are pretty'.  Cooking anything much other than meals and pizzas doesn't either but I'll fight anyone trying to take away my beautiful breadth of culinary dishes and baked goods. ^_^

I'd second the suggestion about adding in the ability with dioptras to judge height above sea-level, though (so we don't have to guess/drop deeds and export to DeedPlanner to plan tunnels and canals and the like).

Quick Q - the illustrative image in the OP, that's maps laid side by side, right? Not what it looks like when smaller maps are combined into a larger one?

While I am tentatively curious about cartography I do have to ask the same question as Finn : "What use do they provide?" 

We do have high res map dumps which are a gold resource for treasure hunting. 

The only way I'd see cartography maps being useful is if they come with a tracker that shows you the position on your map in real time. In that case sure, add em. 

But if they are only RP value I can't see what benefit this will bring long term. Don't want to be the negative guy but I wish we'd get more info about their practical usefulness. 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 4

I'd imagine the value comes from having updated land maps more frequently than yearly, but if it takes off or not does really depend on the range you can cover per go. I doubt people will want to do it a load of times to map out a smaller space, but too big a map even at high skill and it's just something very trivial.

I'm also kinda against the idea of the maps showing their age via smudging and stuff. By all means do have that, but have that removed when improved again and cleared away. It'll be amazing to be able to make a map of your deed through each iteration or change, hung up on the walls somewhere.

2 hours ago, elentari said:

"What use do they provide?" 

none

If you are really bad at reading treasure maps you can grind Cartography and make a normal map of an area and compare it to the blurry/blotched treasure map. Lol

not a poker player, but i go "all in" on the fact that those maps will be even more blurry than the current treasure maps, especially up to the point you will get 90 skill in cartography. Cant wait for awesome part 2 update, that probably will provide the following use:

2 hours ago, Votip said:

none

In fact, didn't get much use of the part 1 update either, as them treasure maps simply hardly even obtainable to start with to be able to enjoy the content.

6 hours ago, Madnath said:

I'd imagine the value comes from having updated land maps more frequently than yearly, but if it takes off or not does really depend on the range you can cover per go. I doubt people will want to do it a load of times to map out a smaller space, but too big a map even at high skill and it's just something very trivial.

I'm also kinda against the idea of the maps showing their age via smudging and stuff. By all means do have that, but have that removed when improved again and cleared away. It'll be amazing to be able to make a map of your deed through each iteration or change, hung up on the walls somewhere.

I cant imagine it...

For me it's useless "information" to see some scribbles.. if that somehow gives me information like % chance to spawn this and that normal creature, sure.... or get updates when there's spawner on the map.. as long the map have been updated in the past 6months irl - lets you go, scout, sync information and then copy/paste with others if you want to do that, else it's ideal to help you hunt and not go every day around placed and track what is there.. and if there are 20 bears.. maybe there's a spawner/gm-involved-action/or some weird player luring bears into the area and leaving them there....

If you see a jug with no bottom, well that's great art piece, but completely useless item with no utility;(that's what I see with these maps so far)

What I am wondering is .. is there more to this content than art and dumping time to get few drawings displayed on table/walls.

I read that we're getting teasers a month+ ago.. but I didn"t expect puzzle valrei post.. these used to show news, not teaser news.

I am with way different expectation, but I doubt any clarity will just sprout before 2weeks or more have passed... wait and see.. wait and see.....

I for one am super thrilled, cartography has been something desired for a long time, and the hanging items on walls is 😍😍😍 

• Like 4

Awesome! Thanks for the update.

Will we be able to mount the maps on the walls?

47 minutes ago, Valdor said:

Awesome! Thanks for the update.

Will we be able to mount the maps on the walls?

qGZIQD5.png

:D

• Like 1

Love the update. 

Wondering - can multiple players work on the same map to increase its QL/detail/size?

Will the maps of sufficient QL show abandoned deeds?

7 hours ago, Spacy said:

Love the update. 

Wondering - can multiple players work on the same map to increase its QL/detail/size?

Will the maps of sufficient QL show abandoned deeds?

Doubt it.. also .. imo that should be somehow into archaeology journal as functionality and maybe reuse these maps.. directly.. and put pins on the maps for the deeds..

Something like squigly votip painting.. all normal and mspaint certified, but if you apply a token to the map.. to also put a pin.. and once clicked to show borders of the deed..

If something like that gets implemented and it's not bOrked by map borders, place to where it extends and to cut parts of deeds.. so you could get clear information for an area.. local or 5.. combined.. however that works...

That seems pretty good as visualization for cartography and arch tie.

I'd still rather have some option to show deed borders of ex-deeds by holding a token and surveying the area.. just local or shared in "team" as visual - to show the deed borders, that could be restricted to moonmetal token maybe.. to have a goal to obtain such to see actual 1:1 size of a place, how big it used to be for yourself, and to be able to share with somebody as visual - in team only, so you cant bug other players with visuals(what visuals... the same markers used when you plan a new deed..)  

Curious like many about the utility of these maps or if they're just a means to a decoration. I'm cautiously optimistic about information in the coming weeks.

Next I'd like to say thank you for making the desk model not have permanent decor like the alchemist's cabinet and the forge do (that blasted hammer). It gives us more scope for the imagination. Thank you!

Speaking of desk...  what is this little guy on the desk (photo below)? Some sort of inkwell? Will there be specific ink recipes for map making?

jgcaxXE.png

Also thank you for getting things onto the walls. I look forward to seeing how this plays out and what options it gives us.

Now to dye rugs...

Edited by Seriphina
clarity

merging the servers soon?  next summer maybe?  i'll keep asking till it's done.

• Like 1

My truest hope for these maps is that there's the ability to cover tiny areas, so even a good old 11x11 deed with 5 tiles perimeter (21x21) can have a map for visiting tourists

• Like 3