Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

Valrei International: What's To Come (Part One)

Excited to hear more on Cartography. I wonder if it will be possible with the map making that a player could potentially make a new map every year or so and line them up to show a history of how the area has changed. Will it be possible to frame them or pin them to walls?

Happy Birthday to NFI and also Thank You for including our deed in the images.

One of the highlights of playing on NFI has been travelling and experiancing so many deeds progressing and building up, really keen to see some of the big projects across NFI come to life over the next few years.

Edited by HawkHawk

Can we please at least get an update on where we sit for POK on defiance, it must be over a year since it was last acknowledged. We just want to be able to skill on the server we want to play on :(

Happy Birthday NFI

Edited by Pnutp

6 minutes ago, Pnutp said:

Can we please at least get an update on where we sit for POK on defiance, it must be over a year since it was last acknowledged. We just want to be able to skill on the server we want to play on :(

Happy Birthday NFI

I replied in meditation thread just now as to not get to off topic on this thread.

Some very exciting future content to come.

But I'm also gonna beg in here for the satchel change from a short while ago to work for taming too. I want to queue taming actions from a satchel like I do planting in pottery planters. Pretty please?

• Like 4

Pretty cool looking deeds on NFI.

Any ETA of the next update?

Any chance that the maps will be able to be placed on walls, either directly or via a stand?

• Like 1

Please consider the portability of cartography map data for external developers. 

Ooo, I am excited to try Cartography!  And I look forward to what else is in store for us explorers.  Thank you for you continued hard work on this! :)

What is the point of mapping, aside from spending time for RolePlay maps?

• Like 1

The cartography feature sounds neat. But at the same time, it scares me. We are used to the yearly map dumps give to all for free. And they are prefect. Yes, there has been no word about these maps replacing map dumps. But it shouldn't be hard to predict that long term people (players and developers) will arguing to stop the dumps since we can now make maps.

Here are some features I'd like...

1. Export map data so players can do stuff with it instead of taking screen shots and trying match things up.

2. A heat-zone like map that shows what areas have or haven't been well mapped based on passage of time. The heat zone could be used to compensate players who map "wild" areas. After creating they would mail the maps to the master NPC map maker. The maps are used to make the global map. Pay players with kings-coffers for maps with pay based on the heat zone and possibly other factors. The heat zone map MUST be available for all to see!

8 minutes ago, joedobo said:

The cartography feature sounds neat. But at the same time, it scares me. We are used to the yearly map dumps give to all for free. And they are prefect. Yes, there has been no word about these maps replacing map dumps. But it shouldn't be hard to predict that long term people (players and developers) will arguing to stop the dumps since we can now make maps.

1. Export map data so players can do stuff with it instead of taking screen shots and trying match things up.

2. A heat-zone like map that shows what areas have or haven't been well mapped based on passage of time. The heat zone could be used to compensate players who map "wild" areas. After creating they would mail the maps to the master NPC map maker. The maps are used to make the global map. Pay players with kings-coffers for maps with pay based on the heat zone and possibly other factors. The heat zone map MUST be available for all to see!

I don't think we can do anything useful besides roleplay with the zig-zag borders and washed map tiny squares;

placing them on a table, etc.. is still roleplay, I see no functionality for any of that, any explanation for this new mechanic is missing from the op

Can we place these on a wall similar to a tapestry and show part of the map where current deed is? Draw on these? Add comments or any note to such maps? 

How do you track when your map is useless and needs to be updated? Can you update it by syncing with another player's map and only take the new changes to be corrected into your existing map piece..? (one have a huge hole/lake or w/e mapped.. another have only a house on the other side.. can the two exchange information between the maps and sync the missing pieces or both have to go to same place and survey again from scratch or update maps with their missing spots), etc etc etc...

Mostly puzzled by.. what other use do these provide besides rp gameplay 😕 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Finnn said:

I don't think we can do anything useful besides roleplay with the zig-zag borders and washed map tiny squares;

placing them on a table, etc.. is still roleplay, I see no functionality for any of that, any explanation for this new mechanic is missing from the op

Can we place these on a wall similar to a tapestry and show part of the map where current deed is? Draw on these? Add comments or any note to such maps? 

How do you track when your map is useless and needs to be updated? Can you update it by syncing with another player's map and only take the new changes to be corrected into your existing map piece..? (one have a huge hole/lake or w/e mapped.. another have only a house on the other side.. can the two exchange information between the maps and sync the missing pieces or both have to go to same place and survey again from scratch or update maps with their missing spots), etc etc etc...

Mostly puzzled by.. what other use do these provide besides rp gameplay 😕 

Post says that they can be combined, so hopefully that means you can turn them into a bigger more meaningful map. Otherwise yeah, as nice as these are they are going to be limited in functionality.

I'm hoping that the maps will be dated like how cooked food is, based on the in game time it was created. You'd be able to tell from this if the map is out of date and also provides some historical information about how the area looked at that time, which is pretty nice.

I'm against any active "player tracking" on these maps, but we should get some pins we can put on them if the main purpose is to display them on a table.

Questions...

1. Will the cartography table be Fine Carp or Carp skill ( im leaning towards fine carp but just want confirmation.)

2. Will the table impact the skill gain of the cartography skill itself??

3. how would you grind this new skill as well??

Seems interesting so far...

So exciting!! This sounds like a lot of fun. Can't wait to try it out!!

Also, do I spy a map hanging on the wall in the background of this picture? :o

14 hours ago, DemonaNightshade said:

carto_01.png

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Darklords said:

We have not made a final decision on the exact route, but we will absolutely not be messing with current food affinities with what ever route we take.

Good. Question: There is the hammers skill, completely useless except for historical reasons. Could it be replaced, or at least co-opted  by cartography so that the skill wheel is not compromised? Just an idea.

1 hour ago, Vorticella said:

So exciting!! This sounds like a lot of fun. Can't wait to try it out!!

Also, do I spy a map hanging on the wall in the background of this picture? :o

Congratulations on being the first to spot our little hidden hint 😊 Yes, maps will be our first thing able to be placed directly onto walls 😁

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, DemonaNightshade said:

Yes, maps will be our first thing able to be placed directly onto walls

Nice! especially the "first thing" part :)

Also, this all sounds really lovely, thanks for the work you do devs! Much appreciated

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jackjones said:

Please consider the portability of cartography map data for external developers. 

4 hours ago, joedobo said:

The maps are all cached at wurm\packs\maps, this is already the case for treasure maps for anyone looking to get copies of those without screen grabbing. They have no file extension but they are normal images that can be opened with any image viewing software.

• Like 3

Sorry if this was already asked. Is there any discussion about being able to hang the maps on a wall? I think it would be cool to have a map of release or even just my deed area hanging on a map. Kind of the way Minecraft does it. different map sections combine to make one whole map?

I scrolled up like 4 posts and Demona confirmed they can be. Super excited. 

Edited by Zachariah

Oh please I hope this doesn't have anything related to Replacing Mapdumps? I spend a significant amount of time collecting data to contribute to Community Map based off of mapdumps. I would be extremely disappointed and probably don't want to do that anymore if Cartography completely replaces it.

I don't see any dev mention this idea, but I see this being written by some users in this thread, and some people in game also talking about this idea, so I got worried :(

On a happy note, I just noticed the wall-hung map now, which is exciting. :)

This looks so cool, and I'm going to say that I love the idea of the community working together to create map dumps more than yearly generated ones in all honesty

• Cat 1

Any chance we could draw a map, bury a treasure, then give another player the map to hunt?

• Cat 1