Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Development Update - 2022-09

Edit:

I knew I was going to forget a few things that I wanted to mention in this post, but I'm very much ashamed to have forgotten a rising star on our QA team. Majelika! She has been keeping up with the bugs reported by folks on the forums, as well as testing things thoroughly.  Please welcome her to the team!

And now back to your regularly scheduled post!

---

Hello all!

I apologize for the delay in posting this. We’ve been very busy behind the scenes, and I wanted to make sure things line up for this post and the posting of the new Valrei International, as they go hand-in-hand.

Team Changes

To get started, I’d like to congratulate Darklords on his promotion to Lead Developer! He has worked very hard to take over some of the tasks I performed before becoming Product Manager, and his new role will allow me to focus more on other areas that need attention.

Jaytoo has also joined the team as a volunteer, as some of you may have already noticed. He brings fresh ideas and skills to the team; we’re thankful to have him! You can already see some of his work in the recent changes made to archaeology, and I’m pleased to say that he has even more ideas in mind.

Lag and Crashes

We’ve been monitoring Cadence for lag spikes, and we think we know where a few are, but we are still analyzing data and working out the actions we should take to rectify the issues.

We’ve been logging and fixing issues where the communication buffer was mishandled on the server side. This would lead to client crashes and make the game unplayable for some.

In conjunction with this, we are working on an update to the Wurm Launcher that will support multiple Java Runtime Environments. This will allow us to trial newer Java versions before promoting them. The runtime environment is important as we have evidence showing increased stability while running on newer environments.

Exploration, Part 2

Exploration is still rolling forward, and the Valrei International released soon will showcase one of the significant features in this coming update. We plan on showing off a different feature every two weeks. We will try to have these features on the test server within a week or two after teasing, but keep in mind that these features are in active development.

The tentative release date for the second half of Exploration is mid-fall.

The Future

As I mentioned, we are interested in getting back to basics in terms of development for Wurm. While it has been fun and energizing to work on these new features, we need to focus on fixing issues, increasing quality of life, and most importantly, addressing issues that prevent new players from getting into the game. There are also plans for marketing and the reinstatement of newsletters. 

We will still work on fresh content, but it will have less priority than what was mentioned above.

That’s all from me for now,

Happy Wurming!

Edited by Keenan
Keenan forgot someone important.
  • Like 44

Excited for this direction and focus. 
Congrats, Darklords and Jaytoo!

Edited by lyhrinae
and Jaytoo!

Thanks for the update, Keenan! Congrats to Darklords and Jaytoo. Welcome to the dev team!

Congrats to Darklords, welcome to Jaytoo.

Now, satchel changes to work for animal taming? 

• Like 1

While I was reading this I was thinking "urggh, I wish they would spend more time fixing bugs and issues instead of adding new stuff".

Then i got to the part where you literally said you were gonna do that.

Love it 👍

• Like 1

I think this is the right pace for Wurm development. Try to drop 1 or 2 bigger new things (or thema) like exploration, take a few month to polish and fix or rework older content (like Archeology a few weeks ago) and focus the rest of the time of QoL and Bugfixes.

I am hyped for the rest of the exploration update. Mapping is a nice suprise addition even if its not realy for me (propably).

What a great way to start a Monday morning! Woot! Thanks Wurm Team, looking forward to what the future holds.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Madnath said:

Congrats to Darklords, welcome to Jaytoo.

Now, satchel changes to work for animal taming? 

Let's make them work for some other things too, such as sowing on large planters (making it work for sowing on the ground but not large planters? .. Eeeehh..), adding upkeep tokens to a deed, imping, etc.

• Like 2

I'm going to choose this time to self-identify as a happy and excited person.  This all is good news!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Keenan said:

As I mentioned, we are interested in getting back to basics in terms of development for Wurm. While it has been fun and energizing to work on these new features, we need to focus on fixing issues, increasing quality of life, and most importantly, addressing issues that prevent new players from getting into the game.

❤️❤️❤️

Maybe, some day, maybe, we will break off the steam's shackles too. Some day.

• Like 1

Does a new skill, i.e. Cartography,  inherently mean cooking recipies need to be adjusted? To my knowledge the calculation is relying on 138 skills. If there is one more that means, all affinities would change.

Edited by Tairon

9 minutes ago, Tairon said:

Does a new skill, i.e. Cartography,  inherently mean cooking recipies need to be adjusted? To my knowledge the calculation is relying on 138 skills. If there is one more that means, all affinities would change.

They will not need to be adjusted. We have a few options on the table to avoid that. :)

• Like 8

Also, I've edited the original post, but here it is as well:

I knew I was going to forget a few things that I wanted to mention in this post, but I'm very much ashamed to have forgotten a rising star on our QA team. Majelika! She has been keeping up with the bugs reported by folks on the forums, as well as testing things thoroughly.  Please welcome her to the team!

• Like 11

Welcome Majelika and Jaytoo - no surprise for forum dwellers already :)

Grats Darklords too!

Thanks a lot for the plans, approved excited!

• Like 1

I'm very excited for what the future holds. Thank you for the update(s). Cheers :)!

"we need to focus on fixing issues, increasing quality of life, and most importantly, addressing issues that prevent new players from getting into the game"

Any plans for a leader-board with Nijara being shutdown? I think that helps existing players get their rankings and new players find other plays for assistance, purchasing, conversions, path increase, travel access .etc . Loving the Exploration update so far!

Been hoping tracking might get some loving with "Exploration".

Looks like it will be a longer wait. Ah well been waiting decades already. 😭

1 hour ago, Karrde said:

Been hoping tracking might get some loving with "Exploration".

Looks like it will be a longer wait. Ah well been waiting decades already. 😭

I know right? When younare close to the treasure, tracking would make sense to help zero in

But oh well

On 9/4/2022 at 4:47 PM, Keenan said:

we need to focus on fixing issues, increasing quality of life, and most importantly, addressing issues that prevent new players from getting into the game.

Will the multitude of suggestions made by players over the years be taken into account? If so, how will you determine which fixes and QoL updates to prioritize? Would it help at all if us players compiled a list of the top fixes and QoL updates we'd like to see, or are you all just going to scan thru the 311,743 suggestions and ~100,000 Technical, Server and Client bugs that are on the forums?  If you're not going to take the player's wishes into consideration, could you perhaps tell us what the purpose is of having a suggestion forum?

Sorry if that's coming off as snarky, it's truly not intended that way. Just don't know how else to ask that. I do appreciate the entire team, Devs, GM's, Moderators et al.  I understand that player's wishes don't always align with the direction or resources of the dev team. Just trying to get some clarification on how our wishes impact your decisions and what we can do as a player base to more effectively communicate our vision of the game to you and how we might be able to work together to move this wonderful game forward. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 6:47 PM, Keenan said:

The tentative release date for the second half of Exploration is mid-fall.

Soooo....maybe winter now? Hopefully before Christmas?

Winter doesn't start until December 21st.  Don't rush it!!  :)