Sign in to follow this  
Wildelf

2017 Green Dragon still out there?

4 hours ago, Tor said:

What i did is: i asked if you or whoever there that i care so much about asked the dragon finder if he dig a hole, cut a tree or build a colosus. Why didn't you and had to assume it's either a new player that doesn't have a clue about rules

So for a starter we did a sweep of the general area to ensure there is no claim, as per the unique ruling. There was then a tent place down by one of the group acting as the claim. Nice and easy.

I feel like there's a lot of people just wanting to complain for the sake of complaining about it. This was posted PUBLICALLY. It went through Stanlee to be organised by another private group, by the initial finder. It was done privately as per request. There was an attempt to make contact with the finder, as proved above, to offer them an invite when we were getting folks in to the area for the slay. You can call it "lame" however you like, but when they request others to do all the heavy lifting, that includes getting the people to the spot, getting ready to kill it and actually doing the deed, I think that offering the invite is a good thing as always, but if they want to be part of it, they should have been ready from the start to try and do their own part, rather than just pawning it off to others.

I fully welcome any staff investigation about this, for whatever reason, because at the end of the day, all this comes down to is people wanting to make mountains out of mole hills, and throwing accustations around with 0 basis or understanding, or even being in the general area. We cannot work around someone who isn't available, and I would never expect anyone to work around me in that way if I handed this off to others.

tl;dr you hand the unique away, and start to kick up a fuss when you're not available for it to be contacted. The proof is here that the gesture was made, and sadly that's being ignored to demonise a group. It's sad to see that the bashing like this is still so easy to find.

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, Tor said:

Well, next time keep it to yourself i guess untill you manage to organise something.

It's not really a rocket science, if they wanted you to participate they would have waited a little bit, pretty lame move from some of the players in here. No matter how you twist the narrative, lame is lame, period. It's not really hard to be inclusive if you really want to.

The intention of the rules that pile up around uniques is to prevent EXACTLY this, as many "repuatable" playesr argued. And it's funny to see "reputable" players backing up behaviors like this.

And most funny to see how someone would compromise their chartacter for little bit of extra drake hide

And for the uniques in general, they aren't rocket science to deal with either, everyone have a fair chance after you find one. However It's not fair and not equal opportunity having the access to metagaming info to get to thise uniques.

Yes i will do that, cause there are too many players in the game doesnt give a crap about who you are really. Like do this and do that and move on, idk doesnt seem to be friendly in these days. All i was trying to is sharing that moment with you guys and though may like it. Instead it feel like espionage going on here and they sure doesnt want nothing to do with me lol. If this was posted by Pomona or any veteran players, that would be pretty serious consequence and either friendly or hostile actions be taken. I though this was freedom isle that we all should be friendly about this and share, etc. If this was on Chaos or pvp server, that a different story. I dont get it, some of you players are mean and not friendly at all.

25 minutes ago, Wildelf said:

Yes i will do that, cause there are too many players in the game doesnt give a crap about who you are really. Like do this and do that and move on, idk doesnt seem to be friendly in these days. All i was trying to is sharing that moment with you guys and though may like it. Instead it feel like espionage going on here and they sure doesnt want nothing to do with me lol. If this was posted by Pomona or any veteran players, that would be pretty serious consequence and either friendly or hostile actions be taken. I though this was freedom isle that we all should be friendly about this and share, etc. If this was on Chaos or pvp server, that a different story. I dont get it, some of you players are mean and not friendly at all.

Well, there's GM's involved in the kill so even if you argued to another GM nothing gonna happen. I agree, it wouldn't happened this if someone else "reputable"  was in your place.

Lots of steam reveiws not recommend this game because of stuff like this and so many players quit already because relatable issues. Keep it it up the good job.

• Like 1

First up I want to thank those who say that if you find a dragon, message Stan. It's a fun thing, and I'm glad to be kind of reliable there. Wildelf did reach out to me, and I failed them, so here's a quick dissection of how:

Issue 1: Xanadu

My team has largely stopped doing support for full public slayings on Xanadu. The travel time is monstrously long and the dirt table fights all efforts to pen the things. Anyone doing slayings on Xanadu can try and prompt me, but unless we have a reason we're very likely to pass. My last slaying on Xanadu - the Super Double Dragon slaying - was initially rejected until I got another PM of another dragon in the same area. Then I knew we had to. When people do contact me about uniques, before I ask any information about the uniques or their location I ask them to familiarize themselves with the The Hunters Guide of Proper Unique Creature Hunting Etiquette ¹. This is so they can be sure that they've done what they need to, and reassure them that I cannot legally take the unique from them when they do tell me - it's for everyone's protection. Following being told it's on Xanadu, I typically recommend and guide people on the "ad-hoc slaying" method, as I did here. So there's still some value to contacting me if you find one on Xan (I might recommend a butcher or something).

Issue 2: Disagreements on how to run it

Even if it weren't Xanadu, my methods of hosting it is almost always the same; a public slaying with at least 2 days delay between posting and killing, where everyone has an equal shot at the loot (even finders and organizers). Sometimes I go for ad-hoc if it's getting late and I don't foresee a successful pen. Occasionally I will see to it that the skull or something (never the bone) is handed off to the finder, but I don't let my parameters for that be known and it is solely those parameters that decides - it isn't up for negotiation and I am more than willing to allow the finder to organize it themselves if they disagree. For the finders I also offer a say in when the slaying is so that they can make it, and a spot in the rolls even if it turns out they can't make it. In this case, Wildelf did not want a large number of people present - meaning no full public slaying. Seeing that this was outside of what I do for two reasons now, I helped guide them through how to organize an ad-hoc. This was not acceptable to them either.

Looking back, this was the point where I should have wished them luck and left them to it.

But I wanted to see it through. Lacking better options, I got in touch with a private slayer who I could trust not to take the loot from them (not that they legally could), but they were unable to rally enough people either. Unable to further get in contact with Wildelf (they had logged by this point, it seemed), and with no options I could see, I went to sleep and woke up with irate messages. I don't quite know what else I expected to happen, going to sleep with it half-sorted and not summarized, but I lacked any idea of what else I even could do and had places to be the next day. I could not spend any more time on it, and at this point perhaps spent more time on it than I should have.

¹ In this case I skipped my usual "doubly mentioning the steps to claim" - they mentioned to me (and in the OP) that they were woodcutting in the area, though it may have been bushes which will have made it difficult for the other party to spot. The rules mention chopping a tree, but given how the GMs verify a claim I don't think the tree/bush distinction is what those rules are for. The rules make no mention of losing the claim if you go offline, but I suspect that to be an issue needing clarification rather than a sensible handling of those rules. It mentions losing the claim if you leave the area, but that's under "containment protocols" and there was no attempt to contain. It does seem to follow that a player must be online to contest the claim unless the claim is covered by the protections of proper containment.

tl;dr that green dragon hatchling is still out there

• Like 10

My team has largely stopped doing support for full public slayings on Xanadu. The travel time is monstrously long and the dirt table fights all efforts to pen the things.

While the bit with the travel time is not unfounded, I tend to contradict about the dirt table. Not only I know it from slayings by my alliance, as a miner and tunnel builder I used lava poofing of veins extensibly on a lot of places on Xanadu. Rarely I found a tile where I had more than 120-150 dirt to dig before hitting the first rock corner. And that applies to all ecos, plains, hills, dense forests, coastal areas. 

I don't know the situation on Release, but had to do with Independence a bit, where I met dirt layers of 300+. Never had that on Xanadu.

Btw my regrets for Wildelf's mishap. I do not see vile intention from the other side though.

Edited by Ekcin

Add scraps of hide and scale to treasure chests/archaeology caches, less hate towards hunters?

Also, 👍👍 to Stanlee for trying to help.

• Like 2

Once you went offline, any 'claim' was lost

Quote from etiquette guide linked above

Should the unique decide to escape your attempts at confining it, it is again wild and can potentially be claimed by another, as long as they follow the above steps, if your party is not actively present to maintain your original claim.

Attempting to merely 'pen' a unique creature without a deed such as, using a sealed mine or a fence may work as a temporary option, but once you leave the area, any claim to it becomes invalid!

Unfortunate as it sounds, if people knew there was a Dragon in the area due to conversations had, they found it, and slayed it, no rules were broken

They attempted to contact you as a sign of good will to get you involved, and you weren't there, its Xanadu, no-one is just gonna trudge the hour trip back home.

Again, its unfortunate, but the people who put in the literal hours and weeks of work finding these things got their rewards.

• Like 5

I agree, in this case seems legit but coincidentally so. Any other day it might have been covered up fiasco.

This exact kill have nothing to do with any hard work. Someone else found it and been stalked.

So, what was the point in piling up more non-mechanic rules over the uniques exactly? Was it to promote fair play without anyone getting stabbed in the back or to promote passive aggressive pvp on pve servers?

I suggest, untill those rules gets trashed and uniques gets reworked, enable unique spawn announcement on the event window and on the current server only, without twitter so the online people on the server get a chance to hunt one if they are willing. Not just the people that know how the script is coded, pretty much

3 hours ago, Toeol said:

Once you went offline, any 'claim' was lost

Quote from etiquette guide linked above

Unfortunate as it sounds, if people knew there was a Dragon in the area due to conversations had, they found it, and slayed it, no rules were broken

They attempted to contact you as a sign of good will to get you involved, and you weren't there, its Xanadu, no-one is just gonna trudge the hour trip back home.

Again, its unfortunate, but the people who put in the literal hours and weeks of work finding these things got their rewards.

Yeah that could be what most people think, but what about for those getting crashes? That another issues we have to deal with too, cause aint my pc spec, its wurm doing it :( We did had some lag issues though.