Sign in to follow this  
Sidereal

What's the most memorable item you've ever recovered from a fallen deed?

Some call them treasure hunters, others call them pickers, others still call them vultures - but regardless of the term, many's the wurmian that has come across the remains of an abandoned deed.  Perhaps it's the deed of a friend that disappeared from Wurm without a word or perhaps it's an unknown deed that you're the first person to stumble upon or perhaps it's something else entirely...

"Memorable" is up to you to define - it might be an unusually rare or valuable item, it might be an item with sentimental value, or it might just be a tool that's collecting dust in a container somewhere.

So tell us - what's the most memorable thing or things you've ever recovered from a fallen deed?

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

Just a couple days ago I was almost on top of a deed as it fell -- like less than 50 tiles away on some adventure when the Event message popped up. So I took a peek at this quaint little place, I don't even think there were any animals left surviving for how long it'd been abandoned...

But I found one meditation rug lying in the grass. Pretty low QL and a bit tattered, the only signature that I could make out was this...

You can barely make out the signature of its maker, '.ha..meow'.

Well, I didn't know anything except that my husband and I live on a deed named Meow! "ha, meow!" It was amusing, so I shared it with my friends.

That's when one of my friends said, "Ah, that's a player who died earlier this year, and there is a memorial on Cad"

Well, I didn't know of this person since I wasn't playing at that time. So I went looking for info, of course found out about a dearly loved player Chaosmeow, and contacted someone who seemed like they knew something about the memorial. We had a nice little conversation, and with how I'm always adventuring around and of course my own love of cats, I think we both came to think that maybe Chaosmeow and I would have gotten along alright. When I offered to send the rug back, they told me to keep it as it's better for the items to be spread around -- and couldn't help but feel like maybe it's perfect that it ends up with a new home on our deed named Meow. :)

• Like 11

I have another story, this one is a little bit backwards though.

My husband (well, wasn't my husband back then...), some friends, and I came to Harmony when it first opened. Some had played before years and years ago on SFI, some played a bit on WU, but we all headed to NFI for the Steam release and laid claim on some new lands. I got straight to working on fine carpentry, lamenting all the effort I put into that skill on my WU character. I also tried collecting horses and adventuring on horseback.

We had a deed called FYAD and we played actively for maybe a month, then some fizzled out over the next month, and perhaps by the next we were all pretty much done.

Just a few months ago my husband and I decided to come back to WO. Well, his guard tower was still standing, but our deed was definitely not! It was deeded over and we were forced to find a new home. After a grueling all-nighter with both of us dying at least once, crossing over (and swimming under) a half-decayed bridge and passing through at least 8 map squares on foot, we made it to our current home with only the stuff in our bags and the clothes on our backs. Some of our old friends came back too, but besides our bodies, we basically had nothing from before.

Anyways, soon after settling in and receiving a gift horse from a kind neighbor, I pretty quickly got back into horseback adventuring mode. One day I peeked into a nearby deed, especially this one building -- I think it was pristine except one really decayed or blown out wall, which seemed odd and got me even more curious. It was FULL of... stuff. So much stuff! Storage bins, larders, maybe carts, beds, just a bunch of stuff. Notably, the beds.

I looked closer and examined those beds and came across something familiar.

You can barely make out the signature of its maker, 'Lo.e.i.'.

Well, that's weird, huh? This place was still, like, 7+ map squares of traveling away from where we used to live -- plus, where we lived was not connected by highway either. Must be some coincidence, right?

Again I looked for more info, found out who the owner of the deed was, and attempted to be as not-creepy-as-possible as I messaged them at like 4am. Saying basically, "hey, I snooped in your house, then I snooped to find your identity, and I think you have my bed." Not creepy! :)

They messaged me back pretty quick, told me how they sometimes took in newbies and those newbies sometimes brought back the things they scavenged from fallen deeds. Well, they went ahead and imped the stuff inside that building and messaged me to say they had not just one but TWO beds that I made from back then! They offered to give them back but I said no thank you, receiving this story is better than receiving a couple of beds. :D So it was us! It was OUR item recovered from OUR fallen deed!

Okay thanks for letting me ramble in your thread!

Edited by Lovelie
map squares*!
  • Like 5

Not long after I started playing this game, a deed neighbouring me dropped. So my friend, who invited me to play Wurm told me we had to wait for at least one of the walls to drop before we could actually access and loot the place, as the only door was locked.
Which meant I checked the status of the walls each and every day, tried to figure out when it would actually crumble and giving us access to the contents waiting.

So, when that wall eventually broke, I was the only one online, meaning I could enter and loot what I liked. Among most things I found and decided to take with me, was one low ql leather knife with its name written in a light blue-ish letter type. Little did I know by then what it meant; but I did know I didn't need it; while another alliance member living at a neighbouring deed had a leather working character. And since she had build me a knarr, I thought it would be nice to give that knife to her.

When I offered her the knife, she asked me a few times if I was certain I'd give it to her, as it was worth a lot more as I thought it was. Eventually - and after I kept incisting, she accepted the knife and not long after that I saw a message pop up in trade chat for an imp and a price check.

Two days later, my friend told me that she managed to get both; an imp and a price check. Turned out that low ql - I can't even remember how low, but I think it was in its low 20's - leather knife was worth at least 28 Silver, as it was a supreme item. 😲

Which I had given away for free.

Over the years I've found countless rares, a few supremes, but that first one I'll never forget. And even if she doesn't play anymore, I still hope that player got it on one of her characters; as I never found it when her deed dropped.

Thorin :D 

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

Swiftfancy, golden horse, old style speed horse, used him to father many many horses over the years.

• Like 1

When the last deed with slanted houses on Exodus fell (Hinternet Mine), other than a bunch of rare/supreme tools i found a seryll plate set in a coffin.

I really dislike combat in Wurm so i had no use for it and gave it away to an ally who used some of the material after smelting it to make a seryll shovel for me which i still have.

I was more saddened to see the last slanted houses decay in to nothingness than i was happy about recycling a bunch of rares/supremes 😞

According to Niarja that was in May 2015.

• Like 1

Not sure whether this counts, as a. the deed was disbanded by the owner rather than upkeep, and b. the owner actively encouraged the removal of things they weren't taking to their new deed:

One rare sign reading "Beware of the leopard," which marked a Path of Insanity tile inside the mine underneath.

• Like 1

4 tapestries. Found in the water outside the forest.

They look great on my deed.

• Like 1

Not a deed, but from a decaying loot pile in the middle of a road - dead traveler I guess - I found a bunch of the old flowers (puffy flowers, long flowers etc).

You cannot plant them to grow old flowers, but they are still memorable.

• Like 1

A supreme hammer is probably the best thing I've found. I have a bunch of things of sentimental value that I've salvaged from friend's deeds over the years, including a rare belltower from Mello's place, and have a bunch of cared for 5 speed bison and horses (old school AH), which are basically immortal. Now that I'm no longer near a large population center like Summerholt, I don't go salvage as much as I used to though.

• Like 1

Seems as though I've had pretty good luck over the years with the scavenging, because some of the most valuable things I own come from doing just that:  2 rare forges, enchanted rare saddle and rare and supreme horseshoes, lots of good ql bulk mats, full barrels of high quality liquor, and holiday items like reindeers etc.  I don't believe the act of scavenging at an obviously abandoned and decaying former deed should be looked upon with such stigma, but to each his own I guess.  

Edited by Atheline
  • Like 1

10 fountain backpacks and 3 fountain pans on deliverance sold for multiple gold coins 

a bunch of drake gloves and boots.

If you're reading, yes it was me and no I never dropped you name and never will, some things are not meant to be shared. 

For all other enquiries I direct you to Posteh, Postie, post or wtf hes going by theese days. I believe he loves attention so he'll induldge you.

Waar's last wine collection. I'm not sure if I'll open it. A few signs with his sig.

Tons of building materials over the years. I do love knarrs, even before bulk bins and crates.

Ive picked ALOT of chests as well, especially since I spurned pve servers till fairly recently. Not to mention looting the dead.

Offhand the stuff that comes to mind individually was metallic liquid, red/green gnomes, coins, gems, dragon sets, and occasionally a halfway decent weapon or tool.

Now the most entertaining looting was from a pvp killing instead.

It involved a player that was rather infamous for cheating, being banned, coming back, and being a general self-centered ######. Originally known as Playtimeover (PTO), this player had gone through so many accounts I forget offhand what name they were using at the time. Speaking of, they were even caught red-handed abusing at least two pvp-related bugs/exploits around the same time, and soon banned again.

FYI on a side note, It really pays to have GMs involved directly in pvp, dont let the whiners and detractors trick you. Had nothing but respect and admiration for most of the old pvp GMs, regardless of faction.

Anyways, so this player had come up with some lore for a player-crafted "artifact" set of chain armor. Winner gets to keep it, keep a log of past winners, yadda yadda whatever.

At the time there was just Jenn-Kellon (WL) and HotS on the current version of Chaos or Wilds. In addition, due to regional troll spawn, lack of the current bridges, pets not fording, and a combination of other factors... there was ALOT of fighting around specific vital chokepoints and land bridges. The most hotly contested of these was the main route to the Northwest lands of Chaos/Wilds. These lands were mainly claimed and held by the Libilian Outlaws.

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Settlement:Libilian_Outlaws_(BL/MR)

During one particularly large fight of 20-30 players plus pets, the aforementioned player ended up being among the last to fall. Weathering a multitude of hits from numerous archers, troll clubs, and melee fighters, it became painfully obvious something sketchy was going on, despite the wretch's lies.; however, that's another story for another time. Suffice it to say, they eventually fell, and the mail was found on the body. As I had been the one to get in the final killing blow, I could have claimed the armor for myself.

However, partially due to our shared disdain for the player and mostly for pvp roleplaying reasons, we in LO had a far, far different plan in mind. We sacrificed the entire set to the glory of our Dark Mistress, Libila. Mwahahaha!

Edited by Karrde
  • Like 1

I once found a pile of about ~1000 gems in buckets along with a lot of other stuff, lol.

The best single item was probably an old, white Hota made by Enki, iirc.

I once found two rare oars within a pile of about 60 oars that were discarded by the person looking before me, a rare clay shaper in a group of 4 others that oddly didnt light the group as rare in the treasure chest, and a rare practice doll at a recently looted deed.  and some very nice rare statue fragments.  But when searching a mine at a long abandoned deed I found 50  Copper stills all about 60ish ql.  Split them with a friend and called it a night lol

I have found my fair share of Hota's, Rare's, Supreme's etc. from abandoned deeds. While those are always nice, it's the small stuff that most people would look past that I would say are the most memorable items. I have a Large Anvil I acquired from Indy. It was made by MamaDarkness, who was an old friend that no longer plays Wurm. I found it in a cave where Mama's deed used to be. It was one of the only things left in there. I found it while I was looking at what happened to Ultimarus (After I returned from my hiatus). Another Item I have that I found at an abandoned deed was a butchering knife that was made by Dottie. Dottie is one of the first players I had a conversation with on Wurm. I had met her back on the old JK Home days near her deed. I was running for my life from some mobs, and she saved me. Healed me up, fed me, and then led me back to New Town. Where I was able to survive another day! I have a bunch of other items that I keep in my LMC's. Too many stories to tell of players that are sadly no longer playing. But that would be what is most memorable to me. The things from old friends. 

• Like 4

Too many to list all but the three most memorable are:  A rare barrel made by Enki, a spirit castle with 99 cast which was close enough to push to our current deed, and a fantastic mini decoration hiding in the bottom of a forgotten chest.

I've taken alot of items from old deeds.  Normally mats are what I hover up first.  Even more so if they are mats that you have to create like bricks, mortar, nails...etc.

I also look out for items that I don't have the skills to make yet.  LIke certain items made with Fine Carp.  I will also look out for replacements.  So if I find a Oven or a Forge, I will check to see if it has a higher QL then the one that I already have.  

My most fav item that I found was a few flags and banners of Legion of Anubis.   I love that green design with the Anibus Face.

I also found 8 Banners of the Apocalypse Order and 2 tall banners with some flags for that kingdom too.  A very cool design. 

Of late, I'd have to say an 50kg large anvil with my sig on it. Was nice to find an item in an old deed that I had once owned.