Sign in to follow this  
Gwiz

Foraging for Caskets?

Ok, from what I've gleaned there is basically a 1 in 3600 chance to get a rare window which may or may not result in a MOI. But when foraging there is a 1 in 100 chance to get a MOI with a rare coin. Does this mean there is a higher chance to get a treasure casket when foraging/botanizing as opposed to mining or digging?

Also, is there any difference in the chances of finding a casket between never-been-premium, lapsed premium and premium characters?

The coin system doesn't drop caskets.

Premium players have increased odds to get supreme and fanatics. They would be more likely to get the guaranteed casket levels from those rarities.

I don't know if free to play or lapsed premium toons are nerfed in other ways. 

2 minutes ago, joedobo said:

The coin system doesn't drop caskets.

Kind of what I thought, but it's a little confusing since when you find a coin it says "You have a moment of inspiration. You also find a rare coin."

So when I have a MOI foraging and it gives me a rare pumpkin or something, is that when I had a "true" MOI that also had a chance for a casket?

You have a chance, yes. Took me 3 months and maybe 25 moi to get one rare casket from botanizing, not foraging so far. 2 supreme ones though. So better chance for supreme than rare. Rare coins are a different mechanic.

A rare pumpkin from forage is an example of the hourly window MOI system.  I think there are different systems is all.

MOI systems:

1. hourly window MOI system...once an hour on average there is a dice roll to see if you get a rare. At the least it is 50% for a rare and the other rarities have smaller chances. These can drop caskets assuming the action done is one that drops caskets. I don't know all the actions offhand.
  2. coin drop system. forage and botany are 1/100 chance when you find an item to get a coin. The chances are smaller when you have multiple gatherings. Those reduces chances are something like 1/300, 1/200, 1/100 if you were getting three items per a grass tile. Burry corpses, killing things, praying, and selling to the token all can drop coins. I don't know the chances for those. No caskets drop from these.
  3. constructing items with rare parts. If an item has at least 3 parts that are destroyed/added to the construction, it will do a MOI roll. The chance here is 1 in number of parts. Caskets don't' drop from this. Although none of the actions that used complex crafting are ones that drop caskets anyway.
  4. improving with a rare material where you completely consume all of the rare material in the improve action. This is 1% chance to transfer rarity from consumed improve material to the target.  No casket is dropped here. No MOI notification is made either.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

You have a chance, yes. Took me 3 months and maybe 25 moi to get one rare casket from botanizing, not foraging so far. 2 supreme ones though. So better chance for supreme than rare. Rare coins are a different mechanic.

This is misleading. I can agree that it's your experience but It's better to focus on the chances we were given. They are on the wiki Treasure hunt - Wurmpediahttps://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Treasure_hunt

For every MOI that applies there is a 1/5 chance for novice, 1/10 for challenge, 1/25 for difficult. 

Ok then the 1 challenge then is well inside the error margin, thanks for info.