Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Character Deletion

The Idea

Any character who has completed the "first steps" journal entry and has completed at least 20 other goals is protected from deletion.

The Reasoning

As things currently stand, if you try wurm out for a week or two and then leave, if you want to try it again later your character is gone if you did not premium up.  This is likely a contributor to the churn-rate of the game, and doesn't generate a positive player experience.

The proposed change would fix this issue, and also possibly act as an extra nudge for new players to use the goal system (they're likely to stick around longer if they know they can earn permanence for free).

I suspect it wouldn't be too much of an issue in terms of space used as player entries are likely to be quite small!

• Like 2

I'm sure the better option would be if every new acc started with 1 weeks premium active as a newbie buff (except pvp servers and restriction going to pvp servers). Most of them leave in a week as being f2p stinks and everything is way slower also then (if) they hit the skill cap wall

I don't see this as something that would help returning players, and just a free way to keep alts.

If you try wurm out then don't play for three months, perhaps starting fresh isn't the worst idea. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Archaed said:

If you try wurm out then don't play for three months, perhaps starting fresh isn't the worst idea. 

It's easier to return to something you've sunk time into than something you're forced back to 0 on.  Especially a game whose core loop is grind progression.

Remember, some free to play players are not just trying wurm - for them it is how they play.

Again, this sounds like a system that will be used to keep free alts rather than a system that benefits new players. 

• Like 1

Yeah, there's no new players so would only benefit the keeping the free alts, apparently.

New player = player that is new to the game, not a different speciment

+1 Since the new players missed out on having a 2 silvers permanent alts, so they too would have an option for that OR  most likely scenario would be their actual main avi they relate/asociate with doesn't get deleted

6 hours ago, Archaed said:

Again, this sounds like a system that will be used to keep free alts rather than a system that benefits new players. 

Sounds like paranoia to me - should we also remove deletion protection on premium players as well to remove all their "free alts"?

22 hours ago, Skatyna said:

I'm sure the better option would be if every new acc started with 1 weeks premium active as a newbie buff (except pvp servers and restriction going to pvp servers). Most of them leave in a week as being f2p stinks and everything is way slower also then (if) they hit the skill cap wall

damn free sermon group sounds good :D

+1 

I would be confused whenever I find out that my account has been deleted. No other game that I can think of does this.

Not a great Welcome Back!

I've tried around 20-30 mmos in my years and honestly Wurm is the only one I've come across that actively deletes your account for inactivity. Note, all the ones I tried were MMOS with freemium model similar to Wurm where you can either buy a subscription or pay to progress. (some are pay2win). 

I really don't get why Wurm wants to delete accounts. Is it a database issue? So what? Are the servers so limited they can't store the data? 

19 hours ago, Archaed said:

I don't see this as something that would help returning players, and just a free way to keep alts.

The argument Ether made was quite plain. If people return to a game they want to see their account intact. Why do we care about alts so much? Why are alts of a higher priority than individual players? 

This system would help individuals. The fact it tangentially impacts alts is irrelevant. 

• Like 2

When I first started playing in 2017 I went a good 6 months before going premium and took a month off in that time. If I had returned to find my account deleted I would not have started a new one. I would have taking that act as a sign that my patronage was not wanted and moved on. But since my account was not deleted I ended up going premium and have been ever since. I can absolutely see how this would impact new players and deter returning ones. It sends a very negative and confusing message for a "Free to play" game that if you don't pay a premium then you're deleted.

4 hours ago, elentari said:

The argument Ether made was quite plain. If people return to a game they want to see their account intact. Why do we care about alts so much? Why are alts of a higher priority than individual players? 

This baffles me too.

• Like 1