Sign in to follow this  
MordosKull

Fix Faith

I understand the intention behind making 30 faith a requirement for benefiting from rites and religion being a long-term commitment, but there are numerous side effects from the way this was implemented that are really painful.

Please fix: 

- Auto-nuke (back to zero faith) religion switch when crossing into Chaos as a past Hots but no longer want to be Hots player.

- Can only build colossus of your religion.

• Like 1

The colossus of faith is fine imo, as such a building would only be built by someone of faith. 

The whole chaos/freedom faith thing has been a nightmare since its inception too, needs a fix 

• Like 1

Faith restriction for colossuses should drop at 99 Masonry, at that level you're practically a god of that skill.

Why not 100? Only an idiot will consider it, takes months to year/s to get there and by that point you're near impossible to ever pull a person of that caliber work on a colossus for free or as paid service. Just being reasonable.

Faith doesn't make much sense.. it's a bot gathering, hive net.. to gain faith, it's even then heavy AFK, spreadsheet and alarm clocks to track your next prayer and sermon to queue.. Requires several other premiums just standining there like bots just to sponge some spam in local chat... for what reason?

Whole priesting and gaining of faith is terrible.. imagine new player in 2022 headbutting into it... is that what you present to them as becoming a priest.. grind this annoyance for few months "it's fun" they say.. pfft... "yea".. nooo...

The process could require some quest like system, journal and achievement or rng rotating priest tasks.. like casting spells or gaining skill on favor making etc.. priest-related stuff.. things that support "the class", something that makes you actually play the game and not be afk bot.. with other bots.. with mom's cooking timer and nothing to do until next do this and then afk again rotation.

Leave legacy system for the sermon lovers, but that's just unpleasant, every next year there's lowering and lowering attention span, and people here are forced to wait on big timers for barely any difference..

As to ex 20 faith etc... it's really weird why that was resolved the way it was.. we already have a system with path questions and delay of at least 15days to advance... R E U S E   IT ... instead of forcing nonsense penalizing everybody.. if somebody changes faith once, force a 15day faith change delay - boom... so called "abusers" get slapped on the spot, wait for it.. it's just them being slapped, everything else works as it was before, nobody's unhappy but a few faith jumpers now in line...

How long does it take to grind back from ~1-5-10.. to 30 faith.. about 2.5-3 weeks was it, time seems similar.. and with weekly global casts on nfi.. that pretty much makes it pointless to do.

- 10 faith - you can sacrifice items

- 20 faith - you get passive bonuses (huge.. for some, especially with the skill-gain bonuses - jumpers will be mostly missing on these if they keep doing that nonsense)

- 30 faith - priest tier, else pointless and still unnecessary unless you go that path

ez pz game mechanics, all there, just reuse it, it's already written code, and will force less drama and nonsense like grinding to 30 faith for near a month to be able to get sb from a global cast

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Archaed said:

The colossus of faith is fine imo, as such a building would only be built by someone of faith.

Hard disagree with the changes to rites that we got. Yes it makes sense in a lore kind of way, but more freeing gameplay and design choice on deed beats out or wonky and shoddy lore anyway.

28 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Faith restriction for colossuses should drop at 99 Masonry, at that level you're practically a god of that skill.

Make it 90 frankly, I can sorta see the reason for 99 but really I think that's just too much.

Edited by Madnath

+1 for both. Colossus is just decoration, a huge statue that's not related or needed in any way in religion other then the requirement? It's like you can restore mag statue from the fragments only if you follow mag

Chaos faith thing it's just annoying, (re)introduce MR and JK template. as well.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Hard disagree with the changes to rites that we got. Yes it makes sense in a lore kind of way, but more freeing gameplay and design choice on deed beats out or wonky and shoddy lore anyway.

Make it 90 frankly, I can sorta see the reason for 99 but really I think that's just too much.

I typed 90... and removed it.. it's easy to get it in few hours with caffeine buff, not so much the case with 99 and there's pretty much no use to go from 99 to 100, 100 skills provide no benefit at all besides a name; (writing that as 97skilled on masonry)

- here devs might read it as - legs goo... pin that to 100.. will be fun..

mhm.. I can't disagree more, we desperately need all sorts of end-game content, but 100 skills are far from obtainable or reasonable to grind for, 1 of the reasons you see more and more 100 titles being closed is lack of anything else to do in the game at high skill, literally nothing for the endgame to chase besides the next skill tick..

1 minute ago, Finnn said:

I typed 90... and removed it.. it's easy to get it in few hours with caffeine buff, not so much the case with 99 and there's pretty much no use to go from 99 to 100, 100 skills provide no benefit at all besides a name; (writing that as 97skilled on masonry)

- here devs might read it as - legs goo... pin that to 100.. will be fun..

mhm.. I can't disagree more, we desperately need all sorts of end-game content, but 100 skills are far from obtainable or reasonable to grind for, 1 of the reasons you see more and more 100 titles being closed is lack of anything else to do in the game at high skill, literally nothing for the endgame to chase besides the next skill tick..

90 can already be a struggle for some folk though, and I'd much rather we put the carrot on a reasonable to reach stick. I get what you mean, but putting it to 99 skill seems a touch bit too much for what is just a large statue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madnath said:

Well said.   Taken from the Wurm home page:

"

Welcome to Wurm Online!

Developed around the idea that sandboxes should give ultimate freedom, Wurm Online aims to hold true to the original sandbox vision.

With sprawling seamless lands, no instances, and a true open world experience Wurm Online offers limitless opportunities for you to write your story.

I just want to be able to sail back to Chaos and join up with some friends as well as build the better looking colossus (Libila cough cough) on deed. Heavy penalty or restriction on these basic desires is not very "ultimate freeedom/sandbox".

I'm in agreement with the 30 faith requirement to benefit from rites. The whole hopping from religion to religion that so many min/max'ers were doing was pretty annoying. As to the requirement to be a follower to build a colossus, I'm torn. I am planning on building a few different colossi in the future on my land, so having the ability to do so at 90 masonry would be nice, but really, switching faith for a few days is doable, if slightly aggravating.

God forbid a giant colossus to a diety be locked behind following that diety! 

Using "wurm is a sandbox game" is the weakest argument because there is that freedom, but it doesn't mean it shouldn't require choices to work towards it. 

If the whole "its a decoration" argument is valid, then it should be changed to a place you can pray, which makes a lot more sense. 

Edited by Archaed
Thought up more arguments in the shower
  • Like 1

Or increase the requrements for colossus to 100 faith, 90 channeling and 99 masonary, stuff like that make sense in a sandbox game

50 minutes ago, Tor said:

Or increase the requrements for colossus to 100 faith, 90 channeling and 99 masonary, stuff like that make sense in a sandbox game

nonpriests should have 90 channeling?

11 minutes ago, Finnn said:

nonpriests should have 90 channeling?

There's certain tone to that sentence that i am probably not so good putting emphasis on because i am not native english.

Furthermore, lock the colossus to priest only. God forbid we don't have priest only buildings in a sandbox.

These constructions are terrible to build with lower than 60ql/+ materials and 80+ skill.

(lower ql and skill raise action fail rate and wasted time)

Can't think of m/any priests with that kind of skills laying around, in addition you instantly shot dead whoever can't mine to depend on somebody for such task.

21 hours ago, Archaed said:

God forbid a giant colossus to a diety be locked behind following that diety!

You really should have stopped there!

The trouble is gating buildings behind a second paywall (which is really what this is) is poor game design.  Why not prevent non-fo followers from making fo runes while you're at it?

No, in this instance I'd say let everyone work on whatever collosus they like, but make it easier to build one based on the deity you worship.

Also, the chaos thing just sounds like a bug, and really needs fixing!

45 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

The trouble is gating buildings behind a second paywall (which is really what this is) is poor game design.  Why not prevent non-fo followers from making fo runes while you're at it?

That's... What? 

Followers of gods get bonuses to crafting runes for their gods. 

Colossi are giant mega projects 

I didn't care what specifically was done in the faith-hopping situation or which stance was ultimately going to be taken, just so long as something was done.  That said, I'm satisfied with the 30 Faith requirement for rites and am very happy something was done to end the growing drama.

I can't speak to crossing into Chaos and resetting your Faith to 0, but it should return to its original value once you cross back into Freedom.  That's just a really, really harsh and unfair penalty.

And I've already posted about deity colossi.  The god (or none) that you worship doesn't prevent you from placing a brick in a certain place relative to other bricks.  There should be NO restriction on the actual physical construction of an item.

What should "finish" a deity colossus should be the faith of a devoted follower, priest, or (when they existed) champion.  Whether that is through a right-click action available to follower and above, or by a priestly blessing, I don't particularly care .. although making it available to followers would be more accessible.