Sign in to follow this  
Arkonick

Perimeter removal

What I'd like to see is a Perimeter removal by the player. Reason when you have several deeds in a area you might want to butt 2 deeds or 3 and in my case 4 deeds together with out the perimeter on certain sides. We need to have in place where the deed owner can remove the perimeter on a side North,South,East,West at the owners call. There are good reasons behind this and not to go into detail but can prevent some issues that will rise that would eliminate a GM from having to mediate the issue seeing there is no rule to police this type of issue.

• Like 1

If deeds can join together without a perimeter, a player could use multiple long thin deeds to seal off an un-deeded area, that no outsider would be able to get access to.

I think it's safe to say that the perimeter is working as designed.

• Like 10

As Sheffie said, what I would see happening is people going back to the days of the Enclosure rule, when large areas of undeeded lands were claimed via fence and a building and those areas were protected by GMs. With the joining of deeds, the same thing would happen but the protection would come from official game mechanics (the deeds). It was super easy to abuse the old Enclosure system, and this would revert back to that very quickly. Cheap land grabs of massive areas of land. 

Perimeters exist to prevent permissions error from having deeds too close. Imagine having a tile border sharing 2 deeds, and a building. What deed would prevent decay? And which would control permissions for that wall/fence?

1 hour ago, Arkonick said:

There are good reasons behind this and not to go into detail but can prevent some issues that will rise that would eliminate a GM from having to mediate the issue seeing there is no rule to police this type of issue.

What type of issues are you expecting to prevent by having this option?

There is also one other reason for Perimeters to exist. That is to allow free travel in areas that can not be blocked. For example, you can make a Highway on the 4th and 5th tiles of anyones perimeter. The Devs programmed this intentionally, to prevent a-holes from dropping a deed right in the path of someone building a road/highway in an area. The right to travel should not be infringed upon by an individual with personal grudge.

• Like 2

i deal with perimeter between my deeds by making it a lawn that allows me to work more gardening skill by having to go out and cut the lawn back down, it also provides a clear sight of the perimeter for travels and looks real nifty as like a parklike area between deeds. in addition i also get occassional creature spawns and people can freely pass my deeds.

11 hours ago, Sheffie said:

If deeds can join together without a perimeter, a player could use multiple long thin deeds to seal off an un-deeded area, that no outsider would be able to get access to.

I think it's safe to say that the perimeter is working as designed.

I just thought of a way they can do that with perimeter: in the perimeter area build a 10 tile long house. Hmmm.... : >

Edited by Idlamn

Honestly?  Removing them would cause a lot of issues (massive enclosures for low cost which hUrTS ThE dEVs), and possible abuse such as enclosing a deed (my real issue).

However, this could be fixed by allowing a player to reduce them to one tile which would remove this issue to some degree.

1 hour ago, Idlamn said:

I just thought of a way they can do that with perimeter: in the perimeter area build a 10 tile long house. Hmmm.... : >

Except the house inside the perimeter area is subject to decay and thus maintinence, it requires more effort than flinging some coins into a deed for upkeep.

23 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

Except the house inside the perimeter area is subject to decay and thus maintinence, it requires more effort than flinging some coins into a deed for upkeep.

If the user logs often enough that they don't get abandoned state, and the house is good ql then it will be very little effort to maintain. I repaired a hut I made like almost 2 yrs ago, when I came to Freedom. Had 30 damage. No effort for wall QL has been made with that one. Now imagine a 90 ql wall...

On 8/21/2022 at 9:35 AM, Idlamn said:

I suspect this would work out in the middle of nowhere (away from any deeds, highways, or roads), but it's an obvious and easy "griefing" support ticket otherwise.

I'm not saying to remove perimeters just a option that one can remove one from a side so they can but up 2 deeds if they have so or 2 friends can but up. Or a second option would be allow deed permissions on a perimeter. 

right now as it stands if i build a wall and maintain it anyone can come and bash it on a perimeter just to be a jerk. Now I'm not protecting people building walls off deed or off perimeter just would like protection for perimeters heck I'd pay extra for the perimeter tiles just to be able to add them to deed permissions.

If perimeters have no protection what's to stop some one from cutting down all the trees and removing all the dirt around someone's deed I mean if one can bust down a wall on a perimeter and it be legal then the first part should be legal.

Just saying.

On 8/21/2022 at 1:47 PM, Shrimpiie said:

But there is a flaw with decay on perimeters it doesn't effect underground buildings. I wish they would fix this issue cause my friend can't expand on a abandoned deed now cause of this bug. He has 5 1x1 buildings in a mine he wants to expand but cause someone left them and there on perimeter they have not got much decay all the above ground stuff has come and gone but underground nothing. 6 months on a perimeter wall at 74ql 11.97dmg

2 hours ago, Arkonick said:

If perimeters have no protection what's to stop some one from cutting down all the trees and removing all the dirt around someone's deed I mean if one can bust down a wall on a perimeter and it be legal then the first part should be legal.

Just saying.

Nothing is to stop that, but one would ask the intent.

If the intent is to cause issue, its harassment

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arkonick said:

But there is a flaw with decay on perimeters it doesn't effect underground buildings. I wish they would fix this issue cause my friend can't expand on a abandoned deed now cause of this bug. He has 5 1x1 buildings in a mine he wants to expand but cause someone left them and there on perimeter they have not got much decay all the above ground stuff has come and gone but underground nothing. 6 months on a perimeter wall at 74ql 11.97dmg

A guy deeded right next to an old deed of mine (then an underground offdeed), and my building rotted pretty fast inside his perimeter. Some of the walls were actually gone before I could transfer the building to him.

Decay can indeed take a while though.

If you are having unexpected issues with decay, and things seem genuinely out of whack, then check the building in question is not in Mag's domain? I seem to remember Ritual of the Sun repairs damage to buildings in Mag's domain, although I never tested it myself.

3 hours ago, Archaed said:

Nothing is to stop that, but one would ask the intent.

If the intent is to cause issue, its harassment

It's tricky to prove intent.

Our local area was dirt stripped years ago on release; couldn't prove malicious intent and "deed it or lose it" was cited.

Similarly, a densely planted forest was also griefed, but malicious intent could not be proven and "deed it or lose it" cropped up again.

• Like 1