Sign in to follow this  
Dunder

Dear Diary

Dear Diary. 

It's been a few weeks since I landed on the shores of Wurm. At first, I was disorientated, and the start area seemed a bit dark.

Could be my settings. I have them low. Signs to read and mini quest to perform. I skipped them. How hard could it be.

I wish I had not. I will go back with another avatar and experience it.

I picked a random map and entered the portal. Now I was in an unknown town. It was night and lights shown from most directions.

The street was empty of people, but I could see signs of activity. Some of the buildings had outside areas. I needed to find a place to make shelter.

Quickly I had questions. Am I to close to this farm? Should I build here or not? I asked the help chat. Information I received sent me looking for a new area.

I sat up my tent by a mountain that had a mine. I was on some sand, but it was flat. 

I received a message from a player. He was offering me help. He wanted me to join him in Deliverance. Said it would be a good place to start.

I was far from him. I was not even on the same map. So, I had to make a new avatar named Dunder after the dumb name dunderhead. It's how I felt at the moment.

Now I was in Deliverance on a cart with a player. We arrived at a fort or castle. There was a small town around the area. He showed me the houses and told me who lived in them.

Most close to me were Spanish speaking. Two weeks later they gave me a welcome gift as did others in the town. It was a set of armor a weapon and horses. 

I founded a deed outside of the fort. It's a small urban lot but it's all I need as a Hunting base. Most of the town is involved in some water tunnel. They are building to the ocean.

I do not help yet. Mostly just hunt and build on the deed. 

My first few days was a bit odd. I did not know what I wanted to do. It was daunting. I was a bit trapped. Could not explore far with my armor.

I don't know the area and would not know how to find my things. It is decided I will spend a few months learning to protect myself.

My house and deed are finished. All I do is farm cotton for hunting. I don't cook. I only eat potatoes. I save my sleep bonus for healing after hunting.

I had to buy new armor the gifted armor to me was studded leather with enchants. It a level I have not reached. I need steel plated armor to survive the creatures.

I used some coin and went to south port and found just want I needed at this level.

My first two weeks hunting was learning to find the creatures. Where and how they spawn. I also am learning to switch from auto fight to manual. Mostly learned by reading and watching the auto.

I've learned to look at the map and go to places where there are many creatures. Sand pits and large areas clear of trees are my favorite. I take a cart so I can spend the time needed.

Creatures don't seem to respawn very quickly so each log in has me to a new area.

I will edit and add here so as to not bump the topic.

Last night a player ran past me. He was on some quest to swim to another island. He wanted to know what direction south is.

I gave him my compas to take with him. I hope he makes it. Don't know if I can replace the compas, but I have not used it.

I want to go on an adventure to epic but not ready to die yet.

I've been doing so much hunting and healing that I need more cotton.

I could buy 1000 cotton for the 1 silver I found but I lost the vendor's name.

My neighbor has a farming plot outside his deed. I've seen him work it in the recent past.

It's not fenced in and its cultivated. I think I will just go out and farm on it.

hmmm I know I should ask. It's the right thing to do. nope don't know him and rarely see him on.

odds are I can plant the whole field harvest and never be seen. I would ask if I knew the name.

ugh this is not how to make friends.

-------------

Dear Diary, I am excited about getting my first pony. I have three on the way. Should be within a few days. 

I will also need to learn to take screen shots. I would like to share the picture of pony with family.

One of the dangers I face in Wurm is loss of items.  It is so easy to get lost die and not be able to retrieve my items.

I stay close to home but when I do go across the map I run into a problem. Seems my computers memory is not enough.

I start to lag and that is a danger in getting killed and loss of items. So far in the game I have only lost 1.5 silver in coin. Nothing else.

Maybe time for new computer but until then I must limit how far I run in a short time or relog or clear memory halfway.

I expect I will lose everything I carry in time. I just don't want it to happen yet.

http://Screenshot-9.png

photo upload test

280x280_middle.jpg

Was a bit complicated. I had to put the game in windows mode then screenshot it. After that I had to crop the photo. Then upload it to a separate site that will upload it here on the forums.

I used the photo hosting site Udrop.com to host the photo.  Love the new backpack!

-----------------

Its 3:40AM when I started hunting. Cat woke me up. 

I've been wondering what I would specialize in. I've had many ideas. I started hunting because I needed to.

Then I rushed hunting. I even stopped butchering or burying. Soon I started seeing more rats. Everything was a mess.

Then a talk with a player near me push me in the direction of not trying to specialize yet. I would miss out on things.

That I should just live day by day. I could hunt three creatures stop cook, meditate, make some healing pods. I could spend an hour on just three creatures.

No need to rush anything. Sometimes it's fun to rush then I will. 

That didn't stick. I still want to specialize in something. I think for now it will be Hunting and Alchemy.

I just hunt something then butcher it and then make healing pods with the teeth and hart and eyes.

That gives me alchemy and natural substances then use that to heal next time.

My ponies came in. Two from different parents. So cute. Small little legs and tiny head. Only about to my knees.

Great Hunt. I did die once, and I hate to die but it was a good death. I was on a highway, and I found a bunch of hardened lava spiders.

Perfect just my level. Not only were there a lot of them they seemed to have respawned before I returned to get my things.

Strange things happening in Wurm. I seem to find just what I am looking for. Like with the backpack. I didn't have a backpack to put the monthly skin on.

I was going to mis out. Then there it was. In the middle of the road. A pile a sword and a backpack that's all but it's just what i needed when I needed it.

I think I entered the Wurm Zone. Money oh yes, I find money. I think I have found about 4 silver in 2 months. Mostly when I bury something. Ive bough a few horses with it.

I bought a troll mask for one silver and a few tools. I found a rare trowel for about 40 coppers. I used it for a while, now it waits for me.

----------------------------

Today a player near me does the o/ thing. It's like saying HI. I asked where he lived and then I went and visited his deed.

That was good for me. It's getting old knowing names but nothing else. This way I can understand who is saying HI to me and what they could be working on.

I should ask that too. yea what they are working on. These houses in Wurm are not empty they just need names to match.

I have played before. I dont remember much. I did not do much. I remember it was fun and I enjoyed digging that about all I did was dig and more dig.

It was a sand box game, so I played in the sand. Ran around and died. I think at some level we are all new players or old players doing things a new way.

Now we have bridges. I remember so much swimming. I would swim around the islands for days. Then came the sharks. They kind of slowed down the swimming.

Different this time because I am on a server where people don't take my things and break my walls every other day. Its nice. 

Deliverance Port is a real place.  One of the things I love about Wurm are the buildings and structures and roads.

They are real. Real as in thought out and placed by random people in random ways. I would like to build a house at this place.

It's a real hub for hunting and fishing. I came for the Hunting. It has large sand dunes and open spaces. At the port I saw a shark.

It has feel to it.

-----------

Killed a troll for the first time. He was old. I was excited that is one of the things that I wanted to do.

I will have to learn how the age things works. Thats likely key to how hard they are.

Seems most players I run into are long term players more of a; how long have you stayed not how long have you played.

Ive read about a few things like dragons and special metals but most of what I have seen has been of lower levels.

Even the trolls are not difficult with a few months hunting. Its good I can move on to other things sooner. maybe fishing or bows.

-----------

Seems I spoke too soon. It's the age of the creature that determines its strength.

Then there are greenish and other types of the same spider.

It also seems as if getting the skill points is taking longer now that I am at level 70.

I don't think I will finish fighting skill anytime soon.

Ive started to try and sell some of my hunting loot. I have been collecting Charcoal and fat. Charcoal is used to make steel and fat to cook with.

I think that I should be able to sell these items. I dont know about the fat but the Charcoal should be sellable. 

I dont have prices to go on but seems that 1 silver for 100 kg is fair.

Sadly, I just learned that Charcoal has ql.  I need to gain skill to get good ql Charcoal.

I sent some cod today and didn't know about its ql issues.

Fun part is that I will enjoy working on this skill. I get to cut down trees with a sword and then set them on fire.

That should be fun.

I died again. I hate that. Everyone can see that you died. You lose skill points.

I was far from home, but everything worked out. I was able to get a horse a change of gear.

In half hour I was back and had my items. 

working the coal piles was not what I wanted to do today. Just hunting for now.

Ive been working on the Charcoal piles. Skill point raise fast. Diary Drama:

I just cant stay out of trouble. Now that I want to make charcoal piles.

Its best to have full grown tress close to each other. I find that in tree farms.

Now tree farms once or still belong to a player.

I want to make coin to pay the deed rent of 1 silver so I...

Cut down all your trees; then I burn them. After that I leave piles of unused wood tar and ash.

Just so I can sell your neighbor coal.

Now the proper thing to do would be to plant a tree farm. That would raise the cost of the coal.

I know of some deep woods but its not close to home or my bed.

This coal is dirty business but its fun. Outside with big fires.

I bought 2000 cotton enough to hunt for a month nonstop.

I paid 2 silvers.

Not sure about the charcoal piles. Seems that even at a high level its not a good profession to have.

Its fun so for now. I keep making them.

---------------

9/1/22 ugh.. So charcoal is not the way to make coin. I made more hunting with the rare coins I find.

but I want to do something besides hunt. I guess I could just make bricks or mortar. Does not sound like fun.

I could craft armor but that takes many skills and a high level too. I don't need coin. My deed is only 1 silver per month.

I don't even know what skills and trades there are. I could make clothing. Cotton is cheap enough. I would not need to farm.

ahh hell two months in and I dont have a direction. There is the religion thing with the rug and prayers. 

I wonder if I can even get to epic from here. If I go can I get back. this is pve and that is pvp.

I will just make 1000 of each resource--------------------

---------------

9/13/2022

So I took a break for a few days. Ive been playing xbox 360 reddead redemption. I looked for other games that I would enjoy but found little.

I did not know if I wanted to continue playing Wurm. It is hard. Its easy but its involved. Thats the word. its involved.

Some say no one plays it but what Ive found is that there are people everywhere. Sure I dont run into 5 new players everyday but I am not in the area where they go.

Even there I doubt you would run into that many maybe Idk. Where I live I must take care not to disrupt other players' land. Its not that easy. They like what they have the way they have it.

I found I do want to continue to play. 

Even if I found a game like Wurm. It would be pay to play. In one way or another. I have found many things I can sell to make coin ingame. How rare is that?

I can make 3 silvers with 1000 mortar. Ql is not an issue. Besides that when I hunt I find coins. I dont have to deposite.

Ive started making mortar for trade then found out I can transmute some sand into clay. I want to do that but its costly. 10 maybe 15 silvers for a few tiles.

I can earn that much with the clay near my deed then transmute some of the sandy hunting grounds to make it in one spot. Thats my new quest. Earn then upgrade the map near me.

As with most things I am super excited for a while. Then I slow down or quit. I have not quit. I just settle into a comfortable life in Wurm. I log in a few times a week. 

I have much to do. While I was away, I lost 2000 cotton for hunting and another bsb with clay. Its my fault. I left them open outside my deed. I expected that they would be used by others. I did not expect them to take it all and the bsb too. lol

such fun. Thats one thing Wurm has; realism. You can say what you want about the feeling of realism but when you clean so the neighborhood stays nice and when you worry about such mundane things it brings realism to the world.

Most mmos have acres of land but it feels empty and artificial. This land feels real with history and long ago players. 

I imagine that I will continue to build my character but at a slower quieter pace. Wurm was not build in a day nor will my grasp of it be.

Edited by Dunder
update
  • Like 5
  • Cat 1

This was a cool read and a very nostalgic chance to remember how it felt way back when I was new. You'll get better and stronger and find new things that are challenging while older challenges become smaller and easier obstacles to overcome. One thing that will never change: you'll never stop learning or finding things to do and experience.

Welcome to the Wurm! 😊

• Like 1

I enjoyed this, I hope you continue with the game and your diary!  💯

• Like 1